Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantasy post ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Fantasy post ...

Hi guys, it's my understanding that Jaguars R version model has a detuned motor, which was originally rated at 650 HP. Detuned down to 550 HP. Jaguar should offer customs an upgrade option. You would pay for a software upgrade and possible Cat Converter, change to less restrictive Cats. This would be a dream come true, since the custom tuning is done by OEM Jaguar dealership.
So let's call this, Fantasy Post.
Jaguar will never do this.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

They are Saving it for a special model release :-).

Already up to 575 with SVR/Project 7

Old 09-05-2016, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Would it be worth paying 5-10x as much for the tune as you would on the aftermarket? Not for me. Also they couldn't legally sell you cat upgrades, Harley Davidson got in big trouble for that a while back.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

well the big hypothetical difference is the warranty.

I'd pay a few extra grand not to have to sweat problems down the road

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 09-05-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Banned
Default Agreed .

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
well the big hypothetical difference is the warranty.

I'd pay a few extra grand not to have to sweat problems down the road
With aftermarket tuning, the warranty goes right out the window. Big risk!

Last edited by Ubad2; 09-05-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
With aftermarket tuning, the warranty hours right out the window. Big risk!
You guys are driving around with 550 horses under the hood, and you're talking about risk? Get a Volvo! lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
JagRag (09-18-2016), Uncle Fishbits (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Firstly, I'd question the original statement for two reasons though I may be splitting hairs a little;

1) It has nothing to do with the "R version model". All Jaguar AJ133 engines used in F types are identical so there is nothing special about any of them compared to the others. You can use the highest tune (SVR/P7 - 575hp) in the the 495/510 or 550 version with identical results.

2) I doubt it's so much a "detuned 650hp motor" as it is a motor that Jaguar tested in the 700 - 800hp range for reliability testing......so far it has been released in several different HP ratings.

Secondly; you're right, JLR would never do this (offer software upgrades equivalent to more expensive models) however you can already get the factory 550hp tune or the 575hp factory tune downloaded into your current V8R or V8S if you like.....it's been done. I'm strongly leaning towards having the Project7/SVR 575hp factory tune downloaded into my car.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Banned
Default Dave ...

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Firstly, I'd question the original statement for two reasons though I may be splitting hairs a little;

1) It has nothing to do with the "R version model". All Jaguar AJ133 engines used in F types are identical so there is nothing special about any of them compared to the others. You can use the highest tune (SVR/P7 - 575hp) in the the 495/510 or 550 version with identical results.

2) I doubt it's so much a "detuned 650hp motor" as it is a motor that Jaguar tested in the 700 - 800hp range for reliability testing......so far it has been released in several different HP ratings.

Secondly; you're right, JLR would never do this (offer software upgrades equivalent to more expensive models) however you can already get the factory 550hp tune or the 575hp factory tune downloaded into your current V8R or V8S if you like.....it's been done. I'm strongly leaning towards having the Project7/SVR 575hp factory tune downloaded into my car.

Cheers,
Dave
Really ... Where can one go to get the engine software to increase the motor's horse power to 575 HP.
Not from the dealer, right.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Really ... Where can one go to get the engine software to increase the motor's horse power to 575 HP.
Not from the dealer, right.
Nope; not from the dealer. Call Stuart Velocity Automotive Performance, Inc.

I think I'm going to install the 575hp software, my Project7 grill and surround and call her a P6.5! LOL. .....I love the P7 but couldn't live with the lack of the real top, windy passenger seat, harsher suspension, reduced ground clearance, etc. etc......this would give me only the elements of the P7 that I want and/or can live with.

Dave

Old 09-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Banned
Default Question ....

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Nope; not from the dealer. Call Stuart Velocity Automotive Performance, Inc.

I think I'm going to install the 575hp software, my Project7 grill and surround and call her a P6.5! LOL. .....I love the P7 but couldn't live with the lack of the real top, windy passenger seat, harsher suspension, reduced ground clearance, etc. etc......this would give me only the elements of the P7 that I want and/or can live with.

Dave

Dave, I don't know if you know, but where did Velocity get a hold of the software ???
It's my believe from what I remember from DINAN , in.order to have the OEM software, the engineer must decipher the code and do some type of reverse engineering to modify the software. Not such an easy thing to do.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know but I just spoke with Stuart last week on the subject and was told all parameters (of the proposed download) were exact duplicates on the JLR files/tables. ....not to be confused with his 605hp tune which is obviously different.

Dave

Old 09-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Dave, I don't know if you know, but where did Velocity get a hold of the software ???
It's my believe from what I remember from DINAN , in.order to have the OEM software, the engineer must decipher the code and do some type of reverse engineering to modify the software. Not such an easy thing to do.
It's actually very easy with the software that is now available. You don't need to be able to decipher the code to copy and paste an OEM tune onto an original "lesser tune" file with the right VIN. The trick is in being able to decipher a tune adequately to safely "enhance" an OEM tune. There are hundreds of data tables, many of which are unused or serving as alternates in the event a nanny is engaged.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

We got the Project 7 software from a read I did from an actual local Project 7. I then took the file versions like the 495ps file, 550ps file and the P7 575ps file(which is the exact same as a SVR) and compared the hex code to find out how Jaguar does their power increases. Yes, I have all the stock versions :-)

Is it easy? Depends on the person reading the code and how late the wife will let me stay up before I find space in the doghouse..

Guess it really depends on how long that person has been reverse engineering code(tuning) and also how in-depth of a tune can that editor create. If the tuner is modifying files on HP Tuners/COBB/Titanium..etc, that person might be able to dial in some of the BEST cars, but that's if the map drivers are available in the program their using. Most popular tuning programs have a prebuilt dashboard interface which has the maps already identified in the hex. Problem with some of those software's is for the "rare'er" vehicles, not much support is provided or the maps identified aren't what they appear. That tuner might have a little difficulty sorting through the hex file and knowing what a simple MAF bar graph looks like.

When a particular tuning company, made a few files awhile back for a couple members on this forum(I won't mention the name but most are aware who it is), those couple of members who bought files were kind of left hung to dry with issues in the file and nobody really giving a life-line to get their vehicles back up and running.

A forum member had reached out to us for help on the issue, we got his car running and word of mouth mixed with this forum site helped get us on the page with providing Jaguar/Land Rover tuning files for the 5.0L Bosch systems. If you check back near the beginning of this thread, it wasn't an easy battle, especially for the 3.0 boys and girls...

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
Arne (09-09-2016), DJS (09-09-2016), SinF (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Banned
Default Thanks for the information ....

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
We got the Project 7 software from a read I did from an actual local Project 7. I then took the file versions like the 495ps file, 550ps file and the P7 575ps file(which is the exact same as a SVR) and compared the hex code to find out how Jaguar does their power increases. Yes, I have all the stock versions :-)

Is it easy? Depends on the person reading the code and how late the wife will let me stay up before I find space in the doghouse..

Guess it really depends on how long that person has been reverse engineering code(tuning) and also how in-depth of a tune can that editor create. If the tuner is modifying files on HP Tuners/COBB/Titanium..etc, that person might be able to dial in some of the BEST cars, but that's if the map drivers are available in the program their using. Most popular tuning programs have a prebuilt dashboard interface which has the maps already identified in the hex. Problem with some of those software's is for the "rare'er" vehicles, not much support is provided or the maps identified aren't what they appear. That tuner might have a little difficulty sorting through the hex file and knowing what a simple MAF bar graph looks like.

When a particular tuning company, made a few files awhile back for a couple members on this forum(I won't mention the name but most are aware who it is), those couple of members who bought files were kind of left hung to dry with issues in the file and nobody really giving a life-line to get their vehicles back up and running.

A forum member had reached out to us for help on the issue, we got his car running and word of mouth mixed with this forum site helped get us on the page with providing Jaguar/Land Rover tuning files for the 5.0L Bosch systems. If you check back near the beginning of this thread, it wasn't an easy battle, especially for the 3.0 boys and girls...
You explained exactly what I want to know.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Just like you wouldn't trust some back alley doctor to conduct a heart surgery on you, you shouldn't trust just anyone to tune your F-type. Always check their references and insist on documented (that would be dyno) outcomes.

Still, the safe bet is to avoid having heart surgery altogether.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Has anyone on the forum had the 575HP tune put in their car? It would be nice to get some actual feedback from someone who has done it.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Is 550 simply not enough? I understand the love of modding and squeezing out more HP/TQ - but there are better [and cheaper] cars for that like the Mustang and Corvette.

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (09-19-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Raul-7
Is 550 simply not enough? I understand the love of modding and squeezing out more HP/TQ - but there are better [and cheaper] cars for that like the Mustang and Corvette.
Yes, but they just don't offer the panache and luxury of an F-Type.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul-7

Apparently the engine was designed for 650HP! Not sure the transmission and driveline would be able to handle the HP and Torq. increases though.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagRag
Apparently the engine was designed for 650HP! Not sure the transmission and driveline would be able to handle the HP and Torq. increases though.
The 8HP70 ZF 8 speed has an advertised torque capacity of 516 lb-ft but will safely handle 560 lb-ft. I would not push it any higher than that if you want it to last for a couple hundred thousand miles. There are other ZF 8HP trannies with advertised capacities up to 737 lb-ft that would probably be a simple bolt-in.

Quick Reply: Fantasy post ...