F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a bit uncomfortable with my new car ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Feeling a bit uncomfortable with my new car ....

Hi guys,
I'd like to share my first long distance driving experience. Saturday evening, I took my 2017 F Type from where I reside ( Northern NJ ) to Massapequa Park, Long Island. My GF lives here.
The distance from my home to her home is 72 miles. I drove through the GW Bridge onto the Cross Bronx Expressway, to the Throgs Neck Bridge onto 295, then onto Cross Island Expressway, then onto Southern State Parkway .
I know ... I know, long drive. Haha ...
During the mentioned route, a total of 7 cars eye balled my car, pulling up to my side and making it very obvious about starring at the car. One car eventually continued to pass me and the rear passengers of this car turned there heads, rubber necking to look through the rear car window to continue starring at the nose area of my car. Even though i did nothing wrong nor did I act in a manner of being an attention *****, I still felt genuinely uncomfortable during my trip to Long Island NY. I don't recall getting this type of attention when I had my BMW M5 car.
My question you is, did you experience anything similar to what I've described here.
I hope I'll get use to it because I really don't like the feeling of constant stares from other drivers/cars. Sorry for the long post.

PS ... A side note, when my GF got inside the car, she immediately went for the sun visor to look at herself as we were going to enter in a restaurant for dinner. When she opened the mirror cover, her reaction was, what the hell.... No mirror light in a $110,000 dollar car. I thought it was funny. But she did have a valid point. Why did Jaguar skimp on adding a simple mirror light.

Last edited by Ubad2; 08-07-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

People are going to stop, stare, honk, ogle, wave, yell, and just about anything else you can imagine. It's an absolutely gorgeous car and (relatively) rare. I don't mean this to sound offensive but what were you really expecting when getting a car like this? It grabs attention just about everywhere it goes. And as far as the M5 there really is no comparison. M5s are cool but to the average driver it looks like just another BMW sedan.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll start with the mirror light: I dunno 😅. But if it was going to make it any thicker, I'm glad they left it out.

As for the attention it depends on where you are. In some areas, possibly yours is amongst them, you will constantly get attention.

In an area like mine, it's random. Most days are uneventful. Some days, especially when the weather is especially beautiful, I get some interest.

I think it'll take a few more drives before you can figure how it is in your area. If your car is the only upper tier sports car around, it will get the attention it deserves.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Get used to yelling "thank you" out the window when people complement you on the car. I've had practice getting used to it driving my '76 Land Cruiser around on a regular basis. Except for the i8, none of the Bimmers are special enough to grab attention around here. Most people avert their glance when encountering an i3 for fear of turning to stone.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have to weigh in with pbad on this one. People are reacting to the beauty of the car, as you did no doubt, Ubad2, when you first saw it. Exactly what one would expect. Why would, why should, how could you possibly feel “genuinely uncomfortable” about this? (Assuming, of course, that the rubber-neckers aren’t creating an unsafe situation.)

Re: the vanity mirror light. This is a 96% pure sports car, so JLR “skimped” on lots of things. No car has everything. The F-Type lacks many of the features of the MB S550, for example. No powered rear window shades, no back massagers, no 4-way power adjustable head rests, front and rear. Heck, they even skimped on the back seat. On the other hand, unlike the S550, it doesn’t look like an ocean liner.

The following users liked this post:
jetsetter883 (03-19-2021)
Old 08-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

It's either "what kind of car is that?" or "Nice car, man." Happens a couple of times a week. Better get used to it.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Banned
Default I agree guys ...

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
It's either "what kind of car is that?" or "Nice car, man." Happens a couple of times a week. Better get used to it.
Again, it was my first distance drive since getting the car. I guess after the fifth stare it started getting on my nerves.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Orange County in Southern California and there are tons of Porsches and other nice cars around and I feel like I still get a lot of attention in my F Type. The first couple weeks I got my car...a lady was tailgating me on the freeway and I slowed down to just let her pass but she didn't so I sped up and she continued to follow me. Eventually she drove side by side with my car and I look over and I see her leaning over to take a picture/video of my car while almost crossing into my lane in the process... Just last week in Huntington Beach I had another car pulling next to me video recording and waving. I did not expect this much attention from this car either.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Hi guys,
I'd like to share my first long distance driving experience. Saturday evening, I took my 2017 F Type from where I reside ( Northern NJ ) to Massapequa Park, Long Island. My GF lives here.
The distance from my home to her home is 72 miles. I drove through the GW Bridge onto the Cross Bronx Expressway, to the Throgs Neck Bridge onto 295, then onto Cross Island Expressway, then onto Southern State Parkway .
I know ... I know, long drive. Haha ...
During the mentioned route, a total of 7 cars eye balled my car, pulling up to my side and making it very obvious about starring at the car. One car eventually continued to pass me and the rear passengers of this car turned there heads, rubber necking to look through the rear car window to continue starring at the nose area of my car. Even though i did nothing wrong nor did I act in a manner of being an attention *****, I still felt genuinely uncomfortable during my trip to Long Island NY. I don't recall getting this type of attention when I had my BMW M5 car.
My question you is, did you experience anything similar to what I've described here.
I hope I'll get use to it because I really don't like the feeling of constant stares from other drivers/cars. Sorry for the long post.

PS ... A side note, when my GF got inside the car, she immediately went for the sun visor to look at herself as we were going to enter in a restaurant for dinner. When she opened the mirror cover, her reaction was, what the hell.... No mirror light in a $110,000 dollar car. I thought it was funny. But she did have a valid point. Why did Jaguar skimp on adding a simple mirror light.
I'm baffled that you haven't seen the 16-page thread of "bystander reactions" since joining the forum 9 months ago.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Banned
Default Nati ...

Originally Posted by Nati
I'm baffled that you haven't seen the 16-page thread of "bystander reactions" since joining the forum 9 months ago.
Yes, I did take notice of that thread. I read only a couple of posts. There are so many posts and I don't have much free time.
Lol ...

Old 08-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoy the attention it draws and that was one of the driving factors of my purchase decision. The whole design/character of the car was to be the loud, raucous, and brash sports car choice. If subtlety and refinement are important there are arguably better options, like a 911. Or something like a Z06; would definitely still get some attention but the vette shape tends to blend in a lot more. BTW there is a whole thread on funny bystander reactions if you want to see some of the things owners have gone through driving this car around.

The following users liked this post:
99Gsp (08-08-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Banned
Default Pbad ....

Originally Posted by pbad
I enjoy the attention it draws and that was one of the driving factors of my purchase decision. The whole design/character of the car was to be the loud, raucous, and brash sports car choice. If subtlety and refinement are important there are arguably better options, like a 911. Or something like a Z06; would definitely still get some attention but the vette shape tends to blend in a lot more. BTW there is a whole thread on funny bystander reactions if you want to see some of the things owners have gone through driving this car around.
And I forgot to mention, the setting was in the quiet normal mode. So the exhaust wasn't screaming on the highway , attracting attention.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I quite like the attention (I shouldnt admit it, but what the hell...) but the downside is that I see people filming the car or taking pictures regularly, it makes me think that if I do something silly it will end up on youtube or similar.

But you can always put a dark tint on the windows, as I do.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As I was attempting to pull out from a side street I did have one guy slow down so slow I thought he was going to turn into the street I was coming out of, so I was annoyed that he did not turn his signal on, but he did not turn, he just slowed down to about 5 mph as he drove by then sped up and went on his way.

But generally I don't that much attention. Probably because I looked up one day last week on a street near my house and noticed I was in a 4 car group - A Bentley to the front left, a 911 beside me and a ZR1 in front of me. I was the poor kid on the block.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I must be an attention ***** because nothing is better than making a little kid's day for instance. Nice car typically means attention from other guys or kids. Would be nice if young, hot, bikini clad women would chase you down in your car but sadly it doesn't work that way.

The following 3 users liked this post by Burt Gummer:
drbill (08-10-2016), jetsetter883 (03-19-2021), SinF (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dennyhle
I live in Orange County in Southern California and there are tons of Porsches and other nice cars around and I feel like I still get a lot of attention in my F Type. The first couple weeks I got my car...a lady was tailgating me on the freeway and I slowed down to just let her pass but she didn't so I sped up and she continued to follow me. Eventually she drove side by side with my car and I look over and I see her leaning over to take a picture/video of my car while almost crossing into my lane in the process... Just last week in Huntington Beach I had another car pulling next to me video recording and waving. I did not expect this much attention from this car either.
You do realize those are tourists that can't tell it's not a Ferrari

Old 08-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

At least the mirrors are covered. My Z3 mirrors were not and got so dirty. My dealer said you can see your eyes or mouth but not both.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Banned
Default Yes ...

Originally Posted by Buckingham
At least the mirrors are covered. My Z3 mirrors were not and got so dirty. My dealer said you can see your eyes or mouth but not both.
It's a comical mirror.
I thought to myself , why even bother...
Tiny size mirror and no light, might as well not even put the mirror on the visor.

Last edited by Ubad2; 08-07-2016 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
It's a comical mirror.
I thought to myself , why even bother...
Tiny size mirror and no light, might as well not even put the mirror on the visor.
What mirror? I never noticed it had a visor mirror. There's another 2 oz. of weight I can save

Old 08-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I must be an attention ***** because nothing is better than making a little kid's day for instance. Nice car typically means attention from other guys or kids. Would be nice if young, hot, bikini clad women would chase you down in your car but sadly it doesn't work that way.
Agreed. A few people have asked me whether the car is a chick magnet, my stock answer is "I wouldnt know, but if I was that way inclined I could have my pick of middle aged guys..."

Quick Reply: Feeling a bit uncomfortable with my new car ....