F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence buying a 2014 F-TYPE w/w26k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 05:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default On the fence buying a 2014 F-TYPE w/w26k miles

Hello all new to the F-Type forum. I have been looking for an F-Type on and off for a while now and I test drive a 2014 Red F-Type S today.Here’s the ad.
https://www.porscheofkingsautomall.c...cetInteracted=

The car seems solid but has sticky buttons which I guess should be easy to clean up. Looks like the car has been serviced regularly. If you look at the ad is there anything that Would concern you about the car. I would appreciate your assistance as I know I’ll probably over look something.

thank you for your help

Mike

Old 05-13-2020, 06:26 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Hey, that's my car! (Almost). Same year, model, exterior/interior colors, wheels - my S/N is only about 100 earlier than this. I have (and recommend) the climate pack (which this has), I don't have the vision pack, but recommend it. Mine also has 2x the miles (57k). I have the Premium pack (14-way power seats w/ memory, dual zone climate control, garage door opener, wind deflector, lockable stowage compartment) which is nice, perhaps not required. The 380W Meridian stereo is poor to mediocre, depending on source. That car doesn't have digital radio - the SiriusXM implementation sucks (poor audio quality), I finally cancelled it. Digital FM radio is OK.

I also have very sticky buttons which I haven't done anything about yet.

I was also scheduled to be in Cinci this weekend, visiting another F-type owner, but well...

Here's the 2014 brochure, if you haven't seen it...
http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...pe_2014-v1.pdf

(Don't know what they fixed in the v2 2014 brochure...)
http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...pe_2014-v2.pdf

Last edited by DJS; 05-13-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:06 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by gt1000
I would appreciate your assistance as I know I’ll probably over look something.
I don't know much about the prices of the 2014s but this looks like a good enough price for what you're getting. I had a 2016 V6 but later upgraded to a 2018 V6S/Rdynamic. There was a refresh in between. This 2014 has the older seats -- which are fine but look a bit dated when you consider the newer generation seats. I also noticed that this one has the heated steering wheel but not the heated windshield (don't know if you actually plan to drive this in the winter or not). Don't think either of these are deal breakers.

What's holding you back or keeping you on the fence?

Old 05-13-2020, 07:11 PM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Very low miles for 2014, was definitely garaged for the winters!

Old 05-13-2020, 07:21 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Hello all new to the F-Type forum. I have been looking for an F-Type on and off for a while now and I test drive a 2014 Red F-Type S today.Here’s the ad.
https://www.porscheofkingsautomall.c...cetInteracted=

The car seems solid but has sticky buttons which I guess should be easy to clean up. Looks like the car has been serviced regularly. If you look at the ad is there anything that Would concern you about the car. I would appreciate your assistance as I know I’ll probably over look something.

thank you for your help

Mike
price seems kind of high, review some other threads - predictions of free cars in the coming months are common. Snarky comment aside, great looking car - my other car is a similar red and I almost bought a caldera red f-type but went with silver with red interior. I would hold out and make sure you take advantage of slow sales and get a “no doubter” good deal. Best of luck.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by bb_sam
I don't know much about the prices of the 2014s but this looks like a good enough price for what you're getting. I had a 2016 V6 but later upgraded to a 2018 V6S/Rdynamic. There was a refresh in between. This 2014 has the older seats -- which are fine but look a bit dated when you consider the newer generation seats. I also noticed that this one has the heated steering wheel but not the heated windshield (don't know if you actually plan to drive this in the winter or not). Don't think either of these are deal breakers.

What's holding you back or keeping you on the fence?
I'm not sure what’s holding me back..lol .. I guess the price .. but with out negotiating they already came down to 30k.. so there’s that.. sticky buttons .. just little stuff.. that makes me think should I get a newer one.. but for that price I might have to spend 10-15k more for an updated 2016-17.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by gg2684
price seems kind of high, review some other threads - predictions of free cars in the coming months are common. Snarky comment aside, great looking car - my other car is a similar red and I almost bought a caldera red f-type but went with silver with red interior. I would hold out and make sure you take advantage of slow sales and get a “no doubter” good deal. Best of luck.
LOL!! I guess a question would be with the way everything is right now would 27-28k be out of the question or would you start lower and work up?

thanks again

Old 05-13-2020, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I have the 2014 V8S love it and thankfully other than the sticky bits and a center vent that has a mind of its own it’s been worry free so far. There is honour in owning the first year model of this fantastic toy. Mine has 42k miles now so you have got quite a ways to go!

Old 05-13-2020, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
The prophet of free cars and gas stations paying you to take their fuel is no longer around. So, no one left to ridicule you for paying a reasonable price. GT, Welcome to our funny farm.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Lani Kai (05-14-2020), PBBarb (05-16-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 12:51 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The prophet of free cars and gas stations paying you to take their fuel is no longer around. So, no one left to ridicule you for paying a reasonable price. GT, Welcome to our funny farm.
Don't forget Jaguar not knowing how to manage their business and going belly up!

In December I joined the team and bought a 2014 V8S. I also have the sticky buttons, but will address that whenever I'm home long enough to do so. I feel like I got a good deal with it only having 19K miles. A car collector friend of mine gave me the best piece of advice: "A car is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it". My view on a good value changed around the time in my life where I started buying cars that I wanted instead of cars that I needed. Good luck and welcome to the fold.

The following users liked this post:
Lani Kai (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 06:33 AM

Question which I forgot to ask..

When I test drove it yesterday there was a little whine coming from the back driver side wheel. It went away when I was slowing down.. Would that probably be a rear differential problem? At first when I was driving it I thought it might just me not being use to driving a convertible.. but after reading some in the forum .. now I’m not sure?

thanks again
mike

Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

My thoughts on buying a used car.

1. do as much research as possible including running your own carfax. I have heard of cases of dealers doctoring carfax reports.
2. make a check list of things to look for, problems areas vehicle specific as well as general items tire, brakes etc! bring the list and make notes when you
go to look at the vehicle. Assign a + or - to each item and cost value+ or - to these say if the car needs tires -$800 or if it has new tires+$800 use this as best you can when bargaining.
3. open the hood doors and trunk look of over spray, panel bolts for evidence that the bolts have been disturbed could indicate accident
4 trust you instinct when it comes to subtle things like noises, squeaks, ticks and tapping, test drive with no radio. I have had sales people during a test ride turn a radio on, I shut it off right away
and tell them not to talk. may seem rude but they distract you that way from things. I also like to listen to the car at idle with the hood open.
5 look at fluids if possible F type not really possible but other vehicles
6 test everything power windows, climate control, hood , trunk latching, audio system(not when test driving though)
7 bring a flash light to look under the car and when inspecting the engine compartment it allows you to see clearer in these spaces.
8 before you go look at a car assign what I call a "go" "no go" price stick to it. you should not have to convince yourself the car is worth buying! the car should dictate this. do not let emotion dictate things.
9. remember that buying a used car is always to some degree a crap shoot even if you do your best to vet out any problems. You will find after purchasing a used car things you may have missed
both positive and negative. Accept it as part of the buying experience.
10 also remember if you continue to look at other vehicles after your purchase that there will always be better deals or cars you maybe would have preferred, this is a fact of life in all purchases
its like phone or computer tech as soon as you buy a new phone or computer a month later the newer better model is out! Make what you bought your own and enjoy it!

madmax1911 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Wise words from 2004XJ8 , especially #10, but I fail to follow that advise every time

Old 05-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it to a shop that specializes in British cars, or to the dealer for a Pre-Purchase Inspection before signing on any lines.
The F-types are wonderful cars, and a lot of fun to drive!
I thought sticky buttons were a Ferrari problem...lol

Old 05-14-2020, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jaguarpartsguy
I would take it to a shop that specializes in British cars, or to the dealer for a Pre-Purchase Inspection before signing on any lines.
The F-types are wonderful cars, and a lot of fun to drive!
I thought sticky buttons were a Ferrari problem...lol
yes that's another thing to do. Some dealers will allow for that others will not. Pre inspection buys should always be done by someone you already know and trust to give you honest info. Some will take your money and not offer much if you do not use them for service.

No these cars have bad sticky problems not just the buttons but trim all over the interior.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:18 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
My thoughts on buying a used car.

1. do as much research as possible including running your own carfax. I have heard of cases of dealers doctoring carfax reports.
2. make a check list of things to look for, problems areas vehicle specific as well as general items tire, brakes etc! bring the list and make notes when you
go to look at the vehicle. Assign a + or - to each item and cost value+ or - to these say if the car needs tires -$800 or if it has new tires+$800 use this as best you can when bargaining.
3. open the hood doors and trunk look of over spray, panel bolts for evidence that the bolts have been disturbed could indicate accident
4 trust you instinct when it comes to subtle things like noises, squeaks, ticks and tapping, test drive with no radio. I have had sales people during a test ride turn a radio on, I shut it off right away
and tell them not to talk. may seem rude but they distract you that way from things. I also like to listen to the car at idle with the hood open.
5 look at fluids if possible F type not really possible but other vehicles
6 test everything power windows, climate control, hood , trunk latching, audio system(not when test driving though)
7 bring a flash light to look under the car and when inspecting the engine compartment it allows you to see clearer in these spaces.
8 before you go look at a car assign what I call a "go" "no go" price stick to it. you should not have to convince yourself the car is worth buying! the car should dictate this. do not let emotion dictate things.
9. remember that buying a used car is always to some degree a crap shoot even if you do your best to vet out any problems. You will find after purchasing a used car things you may have missed
both positive and negative. Accept it as part of the buying experience.
10 also remember if you continue to look at other vehicles after your purchase that there will always be better deals or cars you maybe would have preferred, this is a fact of life in all purchases
its like phone or computer tech as soon as you buy a new phone or computer a month later the newer better model is out! Make what you bought your own and enjoy it!
Great points but you missed one. Check for sand under the doors at the weather stripping and under the dash, You never know when you are looking at a flood car. I think it is a good price.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Make them fix whatever bothers you. They would probably send over to Jag dealer.

gt1000 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 05:13 PM

Thanks for all the tips.. I’m going back tomorrow to give it another test ride with the wife.. I have found a couple more around my area worth looking into 2017 CPO base Premium also another Vert. but of course come pricier tags.. but I’m worth it😂..

it’s good to have options

this one is a Coupe

https://www.jaguarindianapolis.com/certified/Jaguar/2017-Jaguar-F-TYPE-For+Sale+in+Indianapolis+IN-afb958eb0a0e0ae823c005a302e152be.htm

and another Vert

https://www.harperjaguar.com/used/Ja...29a9fe1e00.htm

Old 05-14-2020, 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the tips.. I’m going back tomorrow to give it another test ride with the wife.. I have found a couple more around my area worth looking into 2017 CPO base Premium also another Vert. but of course come pricier tags.. but I’m worth it😂..

it’s good to have options

this one is a Coupe

https://www.jaguarindianapolis.com/certified/Jaguar/2017-Jaguar-F-TYPE-For+Sale+in+Indianapolis+IN-afb958eb0a0e0ae823c005a302e152be.htm

and another Vert

https://www.harperjaguar.com/used/Ja...29a9fe1e00.htm
Just a quick comment on the harper car. It appears its complete servicing has been done by that dealership. That I would say is positive.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
Just a quick comment on the harper car. It appears its complete servicing has been done by that dealership. That I would say is positive.
that’s what the sales rep told me.. He’s going to shoot over some more pics tomorrow.. I’m trying to see what the Red Seats look like with the car .

Quick Reply: On the fence buying a 2014 F-TYPE w/w26k miles