Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferry Risk

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts
Default Ferry Risk

We are planning road trip via Quebec City, up the north bank of the St Lawrence, then taking the ferry south from Godbout to Matane near the entrance to the S.L. seaway.
Then we shall continue around the Gaspe and home to the Boston area via the Canadian coastline and Maine. About 1,700 miles or so.
Apart from the need to pack what's needed in the small convertible trunk, I have nagging concerns about the practicality of ferry on/off ramps vs my 4 inch ground clearance.
I have tried to reach the ferry company unsuccessfully. While I realize it is long shot, I ondered whether anyone has relevant experience in a similar ferry on/off?

Old 08-02-2021, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I live on Vancouver Island. The only way to get a car on or off the island (which has approximately the same land mass as Belgium) is by ferry. Large ferries. Ferries that hold hundreds of cars. Never a problem with loading, even with my F-Type. I imagine that the same would hold true for ferries on the east coast.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:51 PM
Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

Bigger ferries (that hold 50+ cars) usually have much more friendly approach/departure angles. The ferries that hold less than that can often have steeper ramps due to the docking facilities. Usually it's very narrow so you don't often have the luxury of approaching the ramp on an angle getting on or off.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

My F type R is a coupe, haven't had any problems with using ferries.

Old 08-02-2021, 04:28 PM
NoZ
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
I live on Vancouver Island. The only way to get a car on or off the island (which has approximately the same land mass as Belgium) is by ferry. Large ferries. Ferries that hold hundreds of cars. Never a problem with loading, even with my F-Type. I imagine that the same would hold true for ferries on the east coast.
I've been on this exact ferry many times going up to Victoria where my parents lived. One time I took my Corvette Z06, which sat way lower than an F-Type, and I had no problems. My sole ferry concern is the sometimes tight parking and all the people that have to squeeze by your vehicle. It depends where you park: if you're near a door to the deck you're going to have many people around your car. I don't think you can avoid this because every ferry I've been on has attendants that funnel you into a spot of their choosing.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:40 PM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
We are planning road trip via Quebec City, up the north bank of the St Lawrence, then taking the ferry south from Godbout to Matane near the entrance to the S.L. seaway.
Then we shall continue around the Gaspe and home to the Boston area via the Canadian coastline and Maine. About 1,700 miles or so.
Apart from the need to pack what's needed in the small convertible trunk, I have nagging concerns about the practicality of ferry on/off ramps vs my 4 inch ground clearance.
I have tried to reach the ferry company unsuccessfully. While I realize it is long shot, I ondered whether anyone has relevant experience in a similar ferry on/off?
The first ferry you will encounter is Baie-Sainte Catherine to Tadoussac, you won't have any problems and you won't in Godbout.

BTW that's a kickass trip you have planned, I drove up the Seaway to Baie Comeau in March of 02 in whiteout conditions starting in Tadoussac (insane), and rode sled from Baie Comeau to Sept-Ile, I've also rode the Gaspe on sled. You're in for some awesome roads and scenery, enjoy and post pics here!!

Between Matane and Cap Chat, -25F Feb 2014

Old 08-03-2021, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by NoZ
I've been on this exact ferry many times going up to Victoria where my parents lived. One time I took my Corvette Z06, which sat way lower than an F-Type, and I had no problems. My sole ferry concern is the sometimes tight parking and all the people that have to squeeze by your vehicle. It depends where you park: if you're near a door to the deck you're going to have many people around your car. I don't think you can avoid this because every ferry I've been on has attendants that funnel you into a spot of their choosing.
Not what I was describing...I think you are describing the ferry from Washington State to Victoria harbour in which the cars are packed like sardines in a tin. My reference was to the BC ferries from Taawwassen to Swartz Bay, north of Victoria, much larger, no problem of this sort at all.
somewhat off topic, I know.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

SVR575
Many thanks for info.
We are planning to leave Scituate, MA August 20, then take about 10 days on the round trip.
I feel much more comfortable now that I have real info on the ferries.
Did not want to risk a round trip from Quebec City to a ferry I could not board.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:14 AM
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
SVR575
Many thanks for info.
We are planning to leave Scituate, MA August 20, then take about 10 days on the round trip.
I feel much more comfortable now that I have real info on the ferries.
Did not want to risk a round trip from Quebec City to a ferry I could not board.
Your welcome!
I'm jealous and wish I was doing that trip, the Tadoussac ferry is 15 minutes and is nothing fancy, Godbout to Matane is about 2 hours or so and there are cocktails on board, and maybe you'll get real lucky and see "da baleines eh", in any event I'm looking forward to seeing your pics and trip reports.