F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally found the one

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 07:45 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat009
Great combo, and looks like a pretty loaded spec!
Thanks! It ticked almost all the boxes for me. In the 8 months I've been looking I only found 3 that fit enough of my list, and when I saw this one I knew. Would have preferred the black package and CC brakes, but the black or CF accent bits are an easy fix, and my wife is happy that we won't have that CC maintenance cost.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by lpf4
Thanks! I don't think I'm going to mess with either of these visually...I've added some Corse carbon to the MV, just things like chain covers and a hugger and heel plate and stuff, but I want to keep it as original as possible. Not for resale really, don't plan on selling it until it's in my estate sale, I just prefer it that way.

I'm a huge fan of Ducati also. Had a 916 before I picked up the F4. I've been considering getting a Diavel too. Florida is too hot and straight to really use the F4, and I feel like I'd ride a lot more than I do if I had a bike more suited to long straight rides, but that can still take a corner now and then.

For sure. The Jag is actually a little louder than the bike. With the radial valves it sounds like a mini Ferrari, and it's decently loud for a stock exhaust, but it'd be nice a little louder. Almost picked up the MV Agusta RG3 racing exhaust kit a couple weeks ago but the seller stood me up after I drove several hours to meet up with him.

Thanks! My requirements list was pretty specific, which is why it took so long to find. Definitely worth the wait. As for mods...I was going to do a crank pully and tune, but this thing is insane as-is. It's the only car I've driven that reminds me of riding the bike. Won't do anything like wheels/suspension, as I like the look of the stock ride height best. Might do carbon side vents and grille surround, but that's probably it. At least until I get used to the power and want more.

Understandable. When the sun does hit it though, it's spectacular. I'm think OK with it. lol

I found rattlesnake to be a bit tough and gamey, kinda like gator. Could have been how it was prepared, though, it was rattlesnake nachos.
Gotta be properly marinated and then cooked over slow heat. Meat should just fall away from the bones. And, of course, Rocky Mountain Oysters should be served as the appetizer.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! It ticked almost all the boxes for me. In the 8 months I've been looking I only found 3 that fit enough of my list, and when I saw this one I knew. Would have preferred the black package and CC brakes, but the black or CF accent bits are an easy fix, and my wife is happy that we won't have that CC maintenance cost.
I think the little bit of chrome pops nicely on the BRG personally. Mine's got the CCM package but I'm hoping that either the mileage estimates people gave on here (25k for pads, 100k for rotors) are accurate, or some aftermarket company will have come up with less costly replacement parts by the time I need them!

Old 07-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Gotta be properly marinated and then cooked over slow heat. Meat should just fall away from the bones. And, of course, Rocky Mountain Oysters should be served as the appetizer.
I'm not that adventurous. lol

Originally Posted by jcat009
I think the little bit of chrome pops nicely on the BRG personally. Mine's got the CCM package but I'm hoping that either the mileage estimates people gave on here (25k for pads, 100k for rotors) are accurate, or some aftermarket company will have come up with less costly replacement parts by the time I need them!
I'd be surprised if the pads didn't last longer than 25k under normal driving. I test drove a '15 BRG with CCB's that had around 20k miles on it and the pads looked practically new, hadn't been changed yet. But a brake job you have to budget for was a hard sell to the Mrs. lol

Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 AM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm not that adventurous. lol

I'd be surprised if the pads didn't last longer than 25k under normal driving. I test drove a '15 BRG with CCB's that had around 20k miles on it and the pads looked practically new, hadn't been changed yet. But a brake job you have to budget for was a hard sell to the Mrs. lol
That's funny, At first, I wanted the CCB package because it was the "best" of the brake options; however, once I decided I wanted Rhodium Silver, I didn't like the idea of yellow calipers and yes, although I live by the motto "If you cant buy it twice, you shouldn't buy it at all; I hated the idea of a looming brake job that would force me to decide between retiring 2 years early or having my car stop when I push the brake pedal.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I figure with the limited number of miles the car will see (I'm in new england) even if it was 25k pad change interval, that'd be about 3 years or so on a $3k pad swap front and rear assuming I buy the parts from the dealer and do the work myself. It's a 100k+ car (new MSRP of course), so that sort of thing doesn't phase me a ton. Definitely not as nice as being able to do all 4 corners for sub-$500 like my other cars, but it is what it is.

The day it needs rotors will be the day I really cry, assuming one of the aftermarket guys hasn't come out with a less expensive option. I'm hoping by the time it does need rotors there will be enough used cars depreciating on the used car market (AMGs, Audis, M cars) with carbon ceramics that it'll be viable for aftermarket companies to make less costly replacements.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

My biggest gripe with the factory brakes is that CCB is the only way to get fixed calipers. Floating calipers might be ok on the base brakes and maybe the High Performance ones but the Super Performance brakes really deserve better calipers.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,000 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Cockney / Oz rhyming slang for "word".
Most Oz rhyming slang is copied from the Cockney, but one unique to Oz I can think of off the top of my head is "Joe Blake" (= snake), coz there are zero poisonous snakes in Blighty and hundreds of 'em in Oz.
I thought it might be one of those "only in Oz" critters, but am just a poor seppo who has never been there.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Rattlesnake is pretty good.
Had it a couple of times. First time was in the Boy Scouts. We caught one and cooked it up with the trout we managed to catch to supplement the freeze-dried dinner. Compared to 70s vintage backpacking food, it was quite a treat. Had it in a fancy restaurant in Utah too; rattlesnake cakes done up in crab cake style.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks! I don't think I'm going to mess with either of these visually...I've added some Corse carbon to the MV, just things like chain covers and a hugger and heel plate and stuff, but I want to keep it as original as possible. Not for resale really, don't plan on selling it until it's in my estate sale, I just prefer it that way.

[...]

For sure. The Jag is actually a little louder than the bike. With the radial valves it sounds like a mini Ferrari, and it's decently loud for a stock exhaust, but it'd be nice a little louder. Almost picked up the MV Agusta RG3 racing exhaust kit a couple weeks ago but the seller stood me up after I drove several hours to meet up with him.
Considered a Corse kit after seeing one in San Marino at the MV Special Parts offices, but again, lots of money for no gain. I do have the RG3 pipes, plus titanium center section with steel header, matched with an MV Special Parts ECU. The RG3 pipes are ones I previously had fitted to the F4S, and they're definitely louder on the 1000 than the 750, with a slightly different sound. Slightly less melodic, perhaps a little angrier. That might also be a 312 thing, as it's got hotter cams. I have some other pipes that I only had on the 750. I think if I put them on the 312 I'd get stopped routinely as a public menace.

I'm a huge fan of Ducati also. Had a 916 before I picked up the F4. I've been considering getting a Diavel too. Florida is too hot and straight to really use the F4, and I feel like I'd ride a lot more than I do if I had a bike more suited to long straight rides, but that can still take a corner now and then.
My ST4S needs some TLC right now. I suspect it's a crankshaft position sensor but it cuts out, so has been sitting

It has the same engine as the 998, but made 5HP more than the 998 of the same year. With the hard luggage it's suited for the interstate, but is remarkably capable in the twisties.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:18 PM
Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

I had a Triumph Speed Triple before the Diavel. Loved that bike, but older age and more cruising led to a different direction in my bike preferences. I'm considering the XDiavel for the forward controls, but not committed yet. The exhaust on the F Type V8S is what really sold me on it, just like as the Termi exhaust on the bike, is something you feel as much as you hear. But the bike has the Jag beat.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Considered a Corse kit after seeing one in San Marino at the MV Special Parts offices, but again, lots of money for no gain. I do have the RG3 pipes, plus titanium center section with steel header, matched with an MV Special Parts ECU. The RG3 pipes are ones I previously had fitted to the F4S, and they're definitely louder on the 1000 than the 750, with a slightly different sound. Slightly less melodic, perhaps a little angrier. That might also be a 312 thing, as it's got hotter cams. I have some other pipes that I only had on the 750. I think if I put them on the 312 I'd get stopped routinely as a public menace.
Yeah, the 750's were a lot more melodic in general. Even the 1000s has a hefty helping of anger over the 750. I love the tone of the RG3, you just can't find them ANYWHERE. I was bidding on a set in Germany last year that went up to around $1800 US (just the cans, not even a full system) and I bowed out. The first generation of new-make MV's were truly timeless. Not sure how I feel about the new ones...

Originally Posted by lizzardo
My ST4S needs some TLC right now. I suspect it's a crankshaft position sensor but it cuts out, so has been sitting

It has the same engine as the 998, but made 5HP more than the 998 of the same year. With the hard luggage it's suited for the interstate, but is remarkably capable in the twisties.
I actually have a huge soft spot for the 999 monoposto, but it'd just put me in the same place with my F4. Can't get enough of that dry clutch clack, though. I had a guy run out in front of me in a parking lot once yelling at me to turn off my 916 with an open clutch cover because he thought I had thrown a rod when I let the clutch out in neutral.

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
I had a Triumph Speed Triple before the Diavel. Loved that bike, but older age and more cruising led to a different direction in my bike preferences. I'm considering the XDiavel for the forward controls, but not committed yet. The exhaust on the F Type V8S is what really sold me on it, just like as the Termi exhaust on the bike, is something you feel as much as you hear. But the bike has the Jag beat.
For sure, that twang the desmos have in the high revs really gets me.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Owned a wide variety of bikes, but my favorite was the Guzzi 850T with the 1 liter jugs and a solo police saddle. Not a crotch rocket, but plenty fast. My turbo charged WideGlide was the fastest in a straight line but a widow maker in the turns.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-14-2020 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lpf4 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 363 Posts

I can vividly remember the first time I saw an MV Agusta F4. I was at Road America in 2000 for the Superbike races. It was stunning then and still is today.

The following users liked this post:
lpf4 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I can vividly remember the first time I saw an MV Agusta F4. I was at Road America in 2000 for the Superbike races. It was stunning then and still is today.
Mine arrived about five days before the Laguna Seca GP in 2000, but the head mechanic wanted to prep it himself but he also had to prep their sponsored race bike for the race. Instead of being the first one to roll into Lagune with one, I had to wait 'til the next year. If it was anything but racing, I'd have been pissed.

Did you see one in the AMA paddock at the 2001 Laguna WSB races? If so, that was mine. I pulled a side panel while it was parked in front of our pit so people could see that it's beautiful under the bodywork too. Got a lot of comment on that, as many appreciated the mechanical compactness and tidiness they'd never see otherwise.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 363 Posts

I don't think I had a paddock pass that year. I was camping on Fox Hill.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I don't think I had a paddock pass that year. I was camping on Fox Hill.
It was my first and only time ever on track at Laguna Seca. I was running my 748 in Pro Thunder. I qualified poorly; only 40 minutes to practice on a track I'd only seen from the other side of the fence, then a 40 minute qualifying session. Still, it was a hoot and since I was the junior-most class, I was done by the end of the day on Friday with good viewing the rest of the weekend.

I think I've got the years right ... that was just before the MV and I had an unfortunate encounter with someone running a red light. Both of us were put back together pretty well, but perhaps not quite up to factory specs.