Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally...new plates!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
As I said, it's your car and you can do what you want, but I won't respect you for it. And I'll tell you that because I'm a dick...
And I won't be losing any sleep tonight...or any other night for that matter.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

A car with a "funny" badge, is kind of a funnycar...

Or better - a Jaguar Funny-type

Last edited by Arne; 07-22-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

always a touchy subject...It could be argued, for example, that a carbon fiber wrap is faking it since you could pay $$$$ for the real carbon parts from jaguar (one of the reasons I'm a little hesitant about getting some parts wrapped, even though it seems to look nice). I try to avoid getting into these discussions since there's no good end

Old 07-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
LOL I don't think the "S" guys will like that!
I'm sure the S folks here won't get as bent out of shape about it as BMW M folks do. I've read some lengthy rants about people adding the M badge to their non-M cars. Heck some even get bent out of shape when people use M license plate frames on the M-Sport model cars, since "its not a real M car".

I don't care, personally. Put an R-S badge on the back (or SVR now I suppose) as far as I am concerned.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by shift
always a touchy subject...It could be argued, for example, that a carbon fiber wrap is faking it since you could pay $$$$ for the real carbon parts from jaguar (one of the reasons I'm a little hesitant about getting some parts wrapped, even though it seems to look nice). I try to avoid getting into these discussions since there's no good end
I am sort of in that boat when it comes to CF. I wouldn't normally get CF wrap on my car, but the real CF mods on this car are so outrageously priced, I didn't feel it was worth the investment for the look I want. Particularly when I can get the CF wrap for a fraction of the price, and looks almost as good. I had to get away from the body color vents and side skirts one way or another as the stock look was terrible.

My plan is to eventually replace the wrapped pieces with real CF as I find deals on them over time (or if FrickenJag comes up with some reasonably priced alternatives.)

Old 07-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
I am sort of in that boat when it comes to CF. I wouldn't normally get CF wrap on my car, but the real CF mods on this car are so outrageously priced, I didn't feel it was worth the investment for the look I want. Particularly when I can get the CF wrap for a fraction of the price, and looks almost as good. I had to get away from the body color vents and side skirts one way or another as the stock look was terrible.

My plan is to eventually replace the wrapped pieces with real CF as I find deals on them over time (or if FrickenJag comes up with some reasonably priced alternatives.)
Having seen your car in person,I can say the wrap looks excellent and was a smart choice on your part...as long as it does what it's supposed to and stays in place...I'm meaning specifically the roll hoops.

The same theory could be applied to painting brake calipers red or yellow (never quite understood that) and even wheels like the 20" Tornado which have fake bolts to mimic a 3-piece wheel...etc,etc,etc.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

CF as an aesthetic feature is not my cup of tea. If it sheds significant weight or adds strength where needed, I'm all for it.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

On the whole badging thing -- as a buyer of the 6spd manual base model, I would have liked to see a "manual transmission" badge of some sort. Coming from Infiniti, a 6MT or something would have been nice.... sorry, hope this isn't hijacking this thread.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Buick, I take no offense to putting the S on a non-S F-type. Most people cannot even figure out what an F-Type is let alone a base vs. S vs. R.

As a coincidence, I got my new vanity plates today as well.

The following 4 users liked this post by jmfan:
BierNut (07-22-2015), buickfunnycar.com (07-22-2015), Foosh (07-22-2015), Merlin (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jmfan
Buick, I take no offense to putting the S on a non-S F-type. Most people cannot even figure out what an F-Type is let alone a base vs. S vs. R.

LOL. I've thought of doing a fun experiment by putting some Ferrari badges to see if people could tell. Something like, "Can You Pickup Chicks in a Ferrari That's Not a Ferrari" YouTube video. I swear once a Ferrari California flashed his lights at me. I'm pretty sure he thought I was some Ferrari variant (maybe F12).

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bb_sam
On the whole badging thing -- as a buyer of the 6spd manual base model, I would have liked to see a "manual transmission" badge of some sort. Coming from Infiniti, a 6MT or something would have been nice.... sorry, hope this isn't hijacking this thread.
I would love to see a "MAN" badge. LOL.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
But it doesn't say 15. How will anyone know otherwise?
Good question... however in 2019 one might not be so impressed with a 2015, so perhaps best to leave it off (well if the plate were permanent...)

In the UK it used to be (may still be) that a car was issued with a lifetime plate that included a letter at the beginning or end indicating the year of issuance, so you could always tell the age of a car from its plate. Some people would purchase vanity plates (at vast expense - often thousands of pounds) that would (as well as indicating affluence) hide the age of the vehicle, giving the purchaser some privacy regarding purchase price, value of the car etc, etc.

Last letter of above plate (N) indicates Aug 1974-Jul 1975 registration (and most likely manufacture). (They skipped some letters, IOQUZ to avoid confusion with numerals, so its not entirely sequential).

Does this member have a 2018 vert? I can't tel....

but I digress...

Last edited by mshedden; 07-22-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Love it Jay...

Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Regardless of the fact that a limited number of people will know the difference, the fact is that the only reason someone would put a performance badge on a car of a lower level would be in an attempt to trick people into thinking they have something they actually don't. Whether that be wealth, performance, status or otherwise. It's fake and it's disgraceful to the car enthusiest community. If there is another reason, I'd like to hear it.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Regardless of the fact that a limited number of people will know the difference, the fact is that the only reason someone would put a performance badge on a car of a lower level would be in an attempt to trick people into thinking they have something they actually don't. Whether that be wealth, performance, status or otherwise. It's fake and it's disgraceful to the car enthusiest community. If there is another reason, I'd like to hear it.
Many of us have met Buick in person. All of those who have know he's simply having a bit of fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Your posts are over the top.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

I suspect there are a number of equally upset base owners who've been victimised by the de-badging pretenders! Shocking!

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Many of us have met Buick in person. All of those who have know he's simply having a bit of fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Your posts are over the top.
Completely agree swajames. I have had the opportunity to meet up with Buick three times over the past year and he is a very enthusiastic enthusiast like the rest us. He has also contributed a tremendous amount of positive information on this forum. Stohlen, you certainly have a right to your opinion and I am not trying to pick a fight on this subject. If you met Buick, I bet you would think differently about him and his free choice. I Photoshopped the M badge on my car as a joke. Based on my experience on the BMW forums, I would probably have to get numerous restraining orders if I posted the photo on any one of them. There are a lot of things that upset me in life, but putting an S badge on a non-S rates at the bottom for me.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

If you met Buick, I bet you would think differently about him and his free choice.
You can be the best person in the world and I can still not respect a decision you made. That is all. A bit of fun or not i don't like the reasoning behind it.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

There are posers on every car forum & this one is no exception. I don't respect it either but someone has to do it.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 PM

Completely agree swajames. I have had the opportunity to meet up with Buick three times over the past year and he is a very enthusiastic enthusiast like the rest us. He has also contributed a tremendous amount of positive information on this forum. Stohlen, you certainly have a right to your opinion and I am not trying to pick a fight on this subject. If you met Buick, I bet you would think differently about him and his free choice. I Photoshopped the M badge on my car as a joke. Based on my experience on the BMW forums, I would probably have to get numerous restraining orders if I posted the photo on any one of them. There are a lot of things that upset me in life, but putting an S badge on a non-S rates at the bottom for me.
Yeah the BMW M purists would pop a blood vessel screaming so loud about that one.

I was thinking someone needs to photoshop all the performance marque badges on the car in addition to the M logo.

Quick Reply: Finally...new plates!