F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally the VAP stuff is sinking in but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 01:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Finally the VAP stuff is sinking in but...

Hi guys, spoke to Stuart at Velocity yesterday...total beauty...he patiently answered my obvious "rookie" questions. I am going to go with the Stage 3 tune as well as a set of lowering springs-just researching the best local shop in my region to do the work...But, as I read the forum I come up with more questions...I hate to be "that guy" but I need some input/help...I am by no means a computer guy...but is there other things/options that the ECU tune accomplishes?...is there a list of what one may be entitled to request or want be written in their particular "flash"?...if anyone has suggestions or can refer me where to read I would love it...As usual Cheers to you all...

Last edited by Rat Fink65; 01-24-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:10 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

There are some incredibly nice and knowledgeable people here willing to help you but first you'll want to search [in particular, search for threads that Stuart participated in] because there are many, many threads that exhaustively tackle the nuances on most if not all of the VAP mods. If people believe you are being lazy, you'll soon be on your own.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
There are some incredibly nice and knowledgeable people here willing to help you but first you'll want to search [in particular, search for threads that Stuart participated in] because there are many, many threads that exhaustively tackle the nuances on most if not all of the VAP mods. If people believe you are being lazy, you'll soon be on your own.
Thanks for the reply...certainly do not want to come off as lazy....far from it...I have been reading as much as I can but haven't found the thread to answer my questions...I will continue to search and hopefully find what I had questions about....

Old 02-10-2023, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be aware...your cats and o2 sensors will soon be toast.
Ran stage 2 on my last Jag and ended up having to sell it due to all of the dealer visits to fix the check engine lights. If the dealership would have been better, i would likely still have the car. Just be aware.
I just purchased a newer f type and have no plans to tune it.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroman
Be aware...your cats and o2 sensors will soon be toast.
Ran stage 2 on my last Jag and ended up having to sell it due to all of the dealer visits to fix the check engine lights. If the dealership would have been better, i would likely still have the car. Just be aware.
I just purchased a newer f type and have no plans to tune it.
Not so sure about that, I have been running a Stage 2 tune for over five years now and zero O2 sensor or cat issues, still running the originals now over eight years old.
Admittedly not a lot of mileage in that time, only some 40,000 km, and I rarely get to give it the beans (world's lowest speed limits and most zealous enforcement and all that) but of course I have now jinxed myself!

Old 02-11-2023, 03:30 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=Nitroman;2613158]Seien Sie sich bewusst ... Ihre Katzen und O2-Sensoren werden bald getoastet sein.
Bin Stufe 2 auf meinem letzten Jag gefahren und musste ihn schließlich verkaufen, weil all die Händlerbesuche die Check-Engine-Leuchten repariert haben. Wenn der Händler besser gewesen wäre, hätte ich das Auto wahrscheinlich noch. Seien Sie sich bewusst.
Ich habe gerade einen neueren F-Typ gekauft und habe nicht vor, ihn zu tunen.[/QUOTE
]Even without tuning, the cats quickly break down, especially if you drive around with the flap open and banging. Defective O2 sensors are also often affected when the cat is defective, so also in series!

Old 02-11-2023, 07:48 AM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I chose not to disable stop-start. As the system had been completely troublefree and did not engage when AC was on high (typical in Florida) .

Unfortunately, I may have to ask VAP to disable stop-start. As it now shuts off and puts itself into park. Which leads to honking horns as I manually restart the car and put it back into gear.

It seems like it should not be possible, but its done this a few times now.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:10 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by cujet
Unfortunately, I may have to ask VAP to disable stop-start. As it now shuts off and puts itself into park. Which leads to honking horns as I manually restart the car and put it back into gear.
That's weird. When mine shuts off it stays in gear and the engine restarts as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:42 AM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Pops and crackles kill cats....just saying......VAP can take the pops out of the tune. Jaguar has done so in the newer cars and my thinking on things is that JLR got tired of paying for warranty bills on catalytic converters. JLR are on the hook for 10 years in the US and those pops and bangs are brutal....

Also, gas quality and oil change interval matter. I have found Shell gas or other top tier gas to matter. My car was recently looked at at 55k miles and ZERO carbon. I do use BG44k about every 3-4 months.... It may be snake oil of course, but it seems to be working and I am sticking with it. In theory if your injectors are already goobed up it may impact everything else...don't know and defer to the more guru on here. But that might make you run rich, etc.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want folks to be aware of the potential. I'm glad others have not experienced what i went through.