F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Find Myself Looking At The New Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Man. I hesitated to post, for the entire day, until now. I'm not in tech, just sort of a dork... I've been online since the late 80's. I don't like going into a thread and then start ranting against what people are liking / enjoying. But I've come to the conclusion that this is a Jag forum, and it's a call for conversation.......

I mean no offense, but it looks gaudy. Sort of desperate.

I don't know if it is my bias from not really getting the muscle car community, or mentality, but it's just too on-the-nose "I'm American", and vibes this hot-head jock thing.

Obviously I am working out some childhood issues.

But my childhood does not interfere with the enjoyment of the new Ford GT
https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-ford-g...oft-1795163360

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
But my childhood does not interfere with the enjoyment of the new Ford GT
https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-ford-g...oft-1795163360
Hmmm...based on the review, not really a GT.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

That Ford is incredible - love it. That said, I could have 85% as much fun in my F-type and make a lot more racket. The price/demand is crazy.

If I had money to blow I would get half way there with a Huracan and be able to still make a racket.

As for the Vette, I agree with Uncle. Can't really explain it. The F-Type has a cool about it like you really are not trying very hard, but still turn 5x the heads that a Vette will; makes little sense, but true.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 05-15-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advise is DON'T DO IT!

Got rid of a 17 Grand Sport for my F Type R V8 Vert. The Grand Sport had only 800 miles before I could not stand it anymore. Kept if for 4 months. Won't buy another GM car again.

What didn't I like?
Totally Uncomfortable
The road noise at 70 on the highway will make you make you deaf.
Mine was a manual and the transmission was crap. Could not shift into 2nd gear without grinding. Had to double clutch most of the time for a smooth shift.
The factory didn't install the rear lock assembly and the whole back needed to be taken off to fix it.
The leather on the seats felt like vinyl.
Lousy paint.
Roof rattled and creaked.

Love the Jag. Plenty fast and built a lot better and you don't have to deal with the Chevy service department.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I had a 2007 Vette and in its defense....

My Chevy service department is great and only 2 minutes away, as opposed to 2.5 hours for my Jaguar.
My Jaguar is 16 months old and it has been to the dealer twice for warranty issues. In 7 years of Vette ownership, it never had a warrant issue or a problem of any kind.
Neither car had any paint flaws, both are orange metallic.
Yes, the Jag has a far superior interior and looks a whole lot nicer than the C7.

Larry

Old 05-16-2017, 06:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gjnockie
My advise is DON'T DO IT!

Got rid of a 17 Grand Sport for my F Type R V8 Vert. The Grand Sport had only 800 miles before I could not stand it anymore. Kept if for 4 months. Won't buy another GM car again.

What didn't I like?
Totally Uncomfortable
The road noise at 70 on the highway will make you make you deaf.
Mine was a manual and the transmission was crap. Could not shift into 2nd gear without grinding. Had to double clutch most of the time for a smooth shift.
The factory didn't install the rear lock assembly and the whole back needed to be taken off to fix it.
The leather on the seats felt like vinyl.
Lousy paint.
Roof rattled and creaked.

Love the Jag. Plenty fast and built a lot better and you don't have to deal with the Chevy service department.
i second the road noise comment. My '14 stingray roared.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
As for the Vette, I agree with Uncle. Can't really explain it. The F-Type has a cool about it like you really are not trying very hard, but still turn 5x the heads that a Vette will; makes little sense, but true.
Je ne sais quo! =) But I should note that I am not lost on the fact that some non-car people will stare at our car and make the "small *****" joke, etc. Maybe not.... maybe not like other cars. But I am sure there is someone out there calling me desperate, as well. =)

Old 05-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I have nothing against Vettes or any other fun, unique car.

I only have one complaint about the F-Type. The weather hahaha. Portland has been like living in a perma-shower all year. Clear weather starts tomorrow late, can't wait.

Not that I am a total prissy thing about driving in the rain. Wait, I am.

Plus with Pirelli summer tires + RWD + rain makes for interesting dynamics. I have become one of those freaks who drive only when it is nice. This coming from a guy who once rode a motorcycle year round, even in the snow (crazy idiot).

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 05-16-2017 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tork Monster (05-03-2018)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

We've had a lousy spring weather-wise, but summer weather starts today - 78 and sunny right now.

Car was filthy until I finally had decent car-washing weather this weekend. Clean car + warm sunny weather =

Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Burt - you just need to get your priorities straight -- you've got the right car, you just need to move.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
In 7 years of Vette ownership, it never had a warrant issue or a problem of any kind.
I used to be hot on this stuff, but then realized:

the more recent the car, the more electrical and technological changes / updates. Fact is, a car used to be produced, and then you owned it.

Now? We barely own it, can barely access it, and they control it so much that it's constantly being updated / upgraded. I love how they call them "performance updates" and the dealer calls them "recalls". LOL

My car is in for all these updates today... engine, battery, hopefully 3rd gen clutch.

But cars are complex, and the newer they are, the more there is to go wrong, or fix. Or update.

I've had my Jeep Wrangler for 21 years, and there's been one recall on the parking brake, and nothing else. Because it's a tin box with zero *anything*. lol

Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Plus with Pirelli summer tires + RWD + rain makes for interesting dynamics. I have become one of those freaks who drive only when it is nice. This coming from a guy who once rode a motorcycle year round, even in the snow (crazy idiot).
I work in Willamette Valley with a hotel down there. Actually... anyone ever want a good rate at The Allison, let me know. It's a world class, constantly world ranked, luxury hotel in the heart of a "new" wine country, like Napa 60 years ago. Dare I say 80?

ANYHOO... I was up there 3 times during this winter's storms. It was surreal. People don't know Portland have streets and hills that rival SF, and all those RWD cars were left on the side of the road, abandoned, for 36-48 hours. It was like a scene from Walking Dead or The Road.

So, you aren't being too uppity, dearest sir. It was a surreal winter for Portland, and I've not seen craziness like that in a long while.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

road=jag

track=vette

You're welcome...

mc

Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO theres no comparison. Yes the Corvette is a performance bargain but you see them at every red light. I've been driving my F Type for 2 years now and seen exactly 3 other F types in that time. I love driving something that is beautiful and something you don't see all day long. To each there own though.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by strippersteel
IMO theres no comparison. Yes the Corvette is a performance bargain but you see them at every red light. I've been driving my F Type for 2 years now and seen exactly 3 other F types in that time. I love driving something that is beautiful and something you don't see all day long. To each there own though.
I'm not just talking about the Corvette club's Oregon Coast run that obviously happened this weekend.... because I saw something like 50 90-00 vettes in a 20 minutes period, but I am saying that Oregon is littered with Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs, and Vettes. I do *NOT* get it. I don't disrespect someone that gets a car that they enjoy, but it almost seems as common as a Hyundia. I simply do not get Americans fascination with these modern takes on the proper old school muscle cars. Life's too short.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1959 Bugeye

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Still have your Bugeye? I used to race them back in the 70's.
Back in 1990, I found mine in a barn. I spent the next year building it into a vintage racecar that i raced all over the midwest (home track was Road America) with several different vintage racing organizations. Sold the bugeye to start racing newer sprites with the SCCA in H and F Production. Retired three years ago after spending four years in open wheel cars. I actual miss that old Bugeye.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeye1959
Back in 1990, I found mine in a barn. I spent the next year building it into a vintage racecar that i raced all over the midwest (home track was Road America) with several different vintage racing organizations. Sold the bugeye to start racing newer sprites with the SCCA in H and F Production. Retired three years ago after spending four years in open wheel cars. I actual miss that old Bugeye.
I had a total of 3 H-Production Bugeyes, and miss having one as well. I don't miss the racing: massive time & effort preparing the car for the track for to little (though exciting) time on the track.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Maybe slightly off topic: is it worth having a Camaro as a Rental next time I'm over?

Would it be better or worse than the Sentra I had last week?

It's already winning on looks compared to the Sentra...

Old 05-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Maybe slightly off topic: is it worth having a Camaro as a Rental next time I'm over?

Would it be better or worse than the Sentra I had last week?

It's already winning on looks compared to the Sentra...
Yes but make sure it's an SS. The rear visibility sucks but otherwise not a bad car. I rented an SS my last trip to NC. Picked it up in Charlotte and drove to Pinehurst. Next time I'm going with a Vette. Not much difference in price to rent.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

"What's behind me, isn't important"

"Sorry officer - you've been following me for how long?"

Sounds life a VFR problem - just keep moving your head...