F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding the right one...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Finding the right one...

So I've got it in my head that I want a RWD V8 Convertible F-Type, which limits me to the 14/15 S model (or the Project 7, I suppose, but...lol). Anyone else in my situation, that's just not interested in the AWD drivetrain? I'm finding it incredibly hard to find RWD V8 Convertibles in top shape that aren't black on black or white on black. I've been looking seriously for a couple months now, and have gone to see a couple (one would have met my wants but was sold before I made an offer, and the other had every option checked from black pack to CCB's, and even had the SVR exhaust system fitted at a Jag dealer, but the owner didn't take care of it), but other than that I think I'm just too picky. Wondering how often you guys see examples come up in rarer colors (Firesand on Brogue, things like that), and/or with CCB's. I'm OK waiting for the right one, and I knew it'd take a while, but it's looking like I'm in for a long process. Also, have you noticed any seasonality to the availability or pricing on these? Motorcycles typically flood the market at the end of the season and drive the prices down a bit, wondering if I'm looking at increasing pricing going into next year as Spring approaches?

Old 12-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Invariably, the price of verts go up in the spring and down in the fall. Less so in the more temperate climates.

Last edited by Unhingd; 12-15-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Invariably, the price of verts go up in the spring and down in the fall. Less so in the more temperate climates.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've already prepared myself that I might be flying out to pick one up, and road-tripping it back home, rather than just trying to find one locally (I'm too much of a cynic to buy one sight-unseen). It'll be interesting to see what prices do this spring, if I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

This is a pretty slow time of the year for convertible sales, I imagine their will be more choices for you in the Spring. My advice is hold out for what you want, but be ready to move quickly and be ready to travel to find it - perhaps a garage queen from the midwest will appear on the market and then you'll have an excuse to visit the world's biggest ball of yarn or greatest block of cheese, followed by a awesome road trip home in your new F type.

Last edited by Chawumba; 12-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
This is a pretty slow time of the year for convertible sales, I imagine there will be more choices for you in the Spring. My advice is hold out for what you want, but be ready to move quickly and be ready to travel to find it - perhaps a garage queen from the midwest will appear on the market and they you'll have an excuse to visit the world's biggest ball of yarn or greatest block of cheese, followed by a awesome road trip home in your new F type.
The idea of starting the relationship off with a road trip is certainly appealing.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by lpf4
The idea of starting the relationship off with a road trip is certainly appealing.
I found my 2014 V8 on Jags national CPO website rotting in California, a few thousand miles away. It had a perfect interior but badly abused matte paint which they lied about until I saw it in person. Avoid San Diego Jag, they are totally dishonest. I negotiatied a discount and gambled I could bring back to new, it paid off huge.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by RacerX
I found my 2014 V8 on Jags national CPO website rotting in California, a few thousand miles away. It had a perfect interior but badly abused matte paint which they lied about until I saw it in person. Avoid San Diego Jag, they are totally dishonest. I negotiatied a discount and gambled I could bring back to new, it paid off huge.
Thanks for the warning on SD Jag. I don't mind a bit of a project (both examples I've seen so far needed some trim piece replacement, as most southern cars seem to, and it doesn't bother me), but I'm also not looking for something to wrench on out of the gate. I'd rather pay a bit more for a low miles well cared for example. I think the RWD V8 verts are aging out of the CPO market though. Jag doesn't list any right now on their official site. Really a shame they stopped making them so early on.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

lpf4,

I have a white on black V8S in great condition that has been bulletproof that I am going to move by early next year. Still has warranty up to Febrary 20th 2020. PM if interested. I'm in Cali btw.

FWIW, I test drove an SVR last week and while it was fast and great, felt enormously heavier than my V8S. Don't know what it is about AWD, maybe the fact it pulls and pushes instead of just pushes, but was a completely different experience. Not bad, just different in a heavy way.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I tend to start my relationships with used cars by doing through maintenance that includes all fluids. Then I drive around town for couple weeks while carefully listening for unusual noises.

Jumping into a road trip right away with a well-used car is not risk-free. At the very least change engine oil and do an alignment.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I'd rather pay a bit more for a low miles well cared for example.
"Well cared" is more important than "low miles". I would buy car with full records directly from PO over low miles CPO car any day.

CPO only means that nothing very obvious wrong with the car. Don't trust dealers (or CPO).

Old 12-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Byrnout
lpf4,

I have a white on black V8S in great condition that has been bulletproof that I am going to move by early next year. Still has warranty up to Febrary 20th 2020. PM if interested. I'm in Cali btw.

FWIW, I test drove an SVR last week and while it was fast and great, felt enormously heavier than my V8S. Don't know what it is about AWD, maybe the fact it pulls and pushes instead of just pushes, but was a completely different experience. Not bad, just different in a heavy way.
Thanks for the offer. I'm holding out for very specific options packages, though...I'm sure I'll be waiting a while. Ideally I'd like to find a firesand/brogue with CCBs, but I'm sure that's a needle in a haystack. The brogue (or at least not-black) interior is high on my list, as is one of the louder colors for the exterior (FSO, IRR, etc.).

Also, one of the FT V8 S's I drove had the SVR exhaust fitted by a Jag dealer by the previous owner, and I was surprised to find I'm not a fan. It was raucous and obnoxious and they doubled down on all the snaps, crackles, and pops, which was hilarious, but it felt like it lost a lot of the rich tone that the OE V8 S/R exhaust system has.

Originally Posted by SinF
"Well cared" is more important than "low miles". I would buy car with full records directly from PO over low miles CPO car any day.

CPO only means that nothing very obvious wrong with the car. Don't trust dealers (or CPO).
It'd take a very special example to get me to buy a car like this private sale - I've been burned too many times. I'm not saying I trust dealers (certainly not independent dealers), and agreed that CPO just means you're paying more for an extended warranty, and doesn't say anything about the actual condition of the car. But at least an established dealer is accountable to the general public. And if there is an issue they won't address, it's amazing what happens when the BBB gets involved. If a private seller 'omits' some key bit of information, or falsifies the service history, or rolls back the odometer (all of which have happened to me), they just ghost you and there's no recourse. I guess I'm too much of a cynic now.

Last edited by lpf4; 12-17-2019 at 11:53 AM.