F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firesand Owners : front bumper colour difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Well when i took my car back to the factory (i was invited for various reasons) and 3 managers, 1 being the paint shop manager, came out to look at my car. They didnt turn round and start making excuses about the wing mirror was a different shade of orange because its plastic, they had a swatch of the exact colour it should have been and changed it straight away!!!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

That's great, but swapping out a mirror cover is quite a bit simpler than removing and replacing the nose assembly. Most factories aren't set up for what is essentially body-work, but you both you and Bluebird are fortunate in that you do have relatively simple access to the factory as UK residents.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's great, but swapping out a mirror cover is quite a bit simpler than removing and replacing the nose assembly. Most factories aren't set up for what is essentially body-work, but you both you and Bluebird are fortunate in that you do have relatively simple access to the factory as UK residents.
Well, I have learned a lot from this thread - thank you all contributors. It is now with Jaguar Customer Service team. To their credit, I got a phone call within 4 hours of emailing them ... not too shabby at all.

Given the educated feedback here, I am not very hopeful it will get resolved. The other fly in the ointment is that the nose has already had Xpel on it - I'd have to ask Jag to cover the cost of reapplying that too - somehow doubt they will oblige.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, that was a very, very good experience.

Over the last 2 weeks, had a proactive call from JLR customer service every few days progressing the paint issue culminating with an appointment at my dealer for a JLR engineer to see it.

Kevin, JLR Coventry Bodyshop senior manager, agreed when he walked out onto the forecourt that there was an issue - absolutely a noticeable difference. And, it is not acceptable no matter what a dealer might say

They will not replace the bumper but will respray both it and (part of?) the bonnet. They will do a wide, slightly darker band where the panels meet - not noticeable but will stop the problem occurring (not sure on this so will wait to see it in the flesh!).

Very, very nice bloke indeed - passionate about his job and spent ages going over the whole car looking at the paint and panel fit/finish. Looked at a few problem areas (where plastic panel meets aluminium at the rear QTR) to ensure nothing amiss. The type of genuine person who will restore any lost faith in the company they represent.

Very honest in agreeing there is a +/- 2% tolerance in paint tone but then went on to say an unhappy customer is not something they ever want so they will try to fix stuff even if it technically within the limits.

Generally chatted about lots of stuff why JLR don't use the ceramic clear coat like Merc (stones cause cracking with it rather than a small chip) and the problems with some colours (blue XF paint was not good he said .. lots of issues). Also dropped in that we might see a hybrid F type by 2018 but not to hold out any hope for a new XK

Will update after the work is done.

Mike

Old 11-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Excellent news, when you speak to the right people (not the dealers) things get sorted.
The problem i've found with Jag is getting to the right people, but when you do their very passionate, its like the dealers only worry about getting cars out the door but the factory care about the product itself!!!

The following users liked this post:
bluebird (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Bluebird, that's great news.

BTW, I was at my dealer last week to get a first oil change, and they had a Firesand V8S on the floor. Not only is it absolutely a stunning color, but the hood and nose were a perfect match in this case.

The following users liked this post:
bluebird (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Noticed the same thing with mine in certain pictures. The front just looks darker sometimes depending on the light.

Firesand Owners : front bumper colour difference?-img_4483.jpg

Firesand Owners : front bumper colour difference?-img_4378.jpg

Firesand Owners : front bumper colour difference?-img_3986.jpg