F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First free maintenance service at Dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts
Default First free maintenance service at Dealer...

I bought my 2017 F type in May 2018. but it was built in Dec 2016. Current at 2000 miles.
I understand that I need to bring car back to the dealer for 1st service at 1 yr mark, May 2019.
But the orig factory engine oil has already been in car for 1.5 yrs already, & will be 2.5 yrs by the first service.

My last Corvette has oil service indicator that counts down to even when I only driven a few thousand miles, it goes to 0% in 12 months.
So the question is do I wait to do service in May 2019, or should Dealer do the included maintenance now that org oil is already at 1.5 yr. I want to change oil myself, but can I force Dealer to do the oil change service, based on their 5 yr free maint policy below:

Complimentary scheduled maintenance coverage for all new Jaguar models covers factory recommended scheduled maintenance as detailed in the Passport to Service for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. A service interval indicator appears every 16,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever occurs first, to tell you when necessary vehicle maintenance needs to be scheduled. In order to receive scheduled vehicle maintenance, you must bring your vehicle to an authorized Jaguar Retailer within 1 month or 1,000 miles of the scheduled maintenance interval. Customers who do not bring their vehicle to a Retailer within the required time for scheduled maintenance may not receive the missed interval service.

Some owners may wish to have their engine oil changed more frequently than required, should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions. These extra services may be performed on a customer pay basis and the service interval indicator will not be reset.

The Passport to Service’s maintenance schedule table describes the service and maintenance to be performed on your vehicle. Jaguar may publish updates to your Retailer for any changes to the maintenance schedules published in the Passport to Service. Wear and tear items (e.g., brake pads and windshield wiper blades) are excluded.

Having your vehicle serviced and maintained at the specified interval is critical to maintaining its long-term durability. Failure to do this may invalidate the warranty under certain circumstances.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

If you’re willing to do it yourself, can’t hurt to ask them to. Worst case you do it. Doesn’t seem unreasonable under the circumstances. Outcome probably depends highly on the dealer. You could also try others if first says no.

now that I think about it, my situation is similar. I bought it June 30, 2018, but it was built feb 2017.

Interested in what you decide and how it turns out

Last edited by Greggbhill; 07-14-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
If you’re willing to do it yourself, can’t hurt to ask them to. Worst case you do it. Doesn’t seem unreasonable under the circumstances. Outcome probably depends highly on the dealer. You could also try others if first says no.

now that I think about it, my situation is similar. I bought it June 30, 2018, but it was built feb 2017.

Interested in what you decide and how it turns out
I recommend that you replace the oil after the break-in period (3k-5k miles) anyway, whether you've reached the 12 month mark or not. If willing to change your own oil, there are a number of threads on this forum explaining how to do it most easily and what parts and tools are needed (oil, filter, vacuum pump and filter socket wrench). About $110 for the oil and filter and $80 one-time cost for the tools.

The following users liked this post:
Greggbhill (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
I bought my 2017 F type in May 2018. but it was built in Dec 2016. Current at 2000 miles.
I understand that I need to bring car back to the dealer for 1st service at 1 yr mark, May 2019.
But the orig factory engine oil has already been in car for 1.5 yrs already, & will be 2.5 yrs by the first service.

My last Corvette has oil service indicator that counts down to even when I only driven a few thousand miles, it goes to 0% in 12 months.
So the question is do I wait to do service in May 2019, or should Dealer do the included maintenance now that org oil is already at 1.5 yr. I want to change oil myself, but can I force Dealer to do the oil change service, based on their 5 yr free maint policy below:

Complimentary scheduled maintenance coverage for all new Jaguar models covers factory recommended scheduled maintenance as detailed in the Passport to Service for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. A service interval indicator appears every 16,000 miles or every 12 months, whichever occurs first, to tell you when necessary vehicle maintenance needs to be scheduled. In order to receive scheduled vehicle maintenance, you must bring your vehicle to an authorized Jaguar Retailer within 1 month or 1,000 miles of the scheduled maintenance interval. Customers who do not bring their vehicle to a Retailer within the required time for scheduled maintenance may not receive the missed interval service.

Some owners may wish to have their engine oil changed more frequently than required, should the vehicle have a high proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions. These extra services may be performed on a customer pay basis and the service interval indicator will not be reset.

The Passport to Service’s maintenance schedule table describes the service and maintenance to be performed on your vehicle. Jaguar may publish updates to your Retailer for any changes to the maintenance schedules published in the Passport to Service. Wear and tear items (e.g., brake pads and windshield wiper blades) are excluded.

Having your vehicle serviced and maintained at the specified interval is critical to maintaining its long-term durability. Failure to do this may invalidate the warranty under certain circumstances.
You may want to ask your dealer for the original in service date on your car. If your warranty had already started prior to you taking delivery the service will be due sooner. It is very possible your car had been already reported as sold. This was at one time a very common practice.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I recommend that you replace the oil after the break-in period (3k-5k miles) anyway, whether you've reached the 12 month mark or not. If willing to change your own oil, there are a number of threads on this forum explaining how to do it most easily and what parts and tools are needed (oil, filter, vacuum pump and filter socket wrench). About $110 for the oil and filter and $80 one-time cost for the tools.
My MY2018 doesn't have a dipstick so I don't know how I would vacuum the oil out. Is there another path for the oil to travel from the pan, out the top of the engine?
I already have the vacuum device, a TopSider MVP manually operated pump with a metal container that works flawlessly. I used it with my 2015 Ghibli and total cost of oil and filter amounted to approx. $100 vs. $540+ at the dealer. Of course, I couldn't do all of the checks/diagnostics the service tech could, but then if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Barring any symptoms, such as reduced mileage, misfires, etc. the dealer service almost seems superfluous.
If the absence of a dipstick tube precludes my removing the oil from the engine compartment, I would be willing to sell the TopSider to anyone wishing to perform their own routine maintenance.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

There’s a separate pipe in the oil filler specifically for vacuuming out the oil. The hose that came with my MityVac fits it perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
fujicoupe (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

My guess is that the dealer will be glad to perform that first service, get it off your worry list and on to their service customer inventory. Mine was similar low mileage as yours for first service, and they were glad to do it. It's income to them.
Let us know what you learn and decide.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
You may want to ask your dealer for the original in service date on your car. If your warranty had already started prior to you taking delivery the service will be due sooner. It is very possible your car had been already reported as sold. This was at one time a very common practice.
+1. Dealers often put cars into service once they have them prepped and ready for test drives so that's the date the warranty begins and from which all service should be based. My 2016 was in service 12/2015 and I purchased in June 2017 and it was serviced April 2017 by the dealer (at 190 miles) so at this point I'll be having the air filters and brake fluid swapped in December at the three year point with 4600 miles currently. Oil changes were re-set to April to match the dealer service which is a pain as I have to take it in twice this year for maintenance (April for oil/ filter and December for other items) but my dealer advised Jaguar will not reimburse them for air filters, brake fluid and any other maintenance items until the clock has ticked to within 60 days of the in service date.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I will reiterate what two others said above about the in service date vs. your purchase date. My dealer overlooked this in error and took the blame. My car was stored for the winter so no real impact but it could void your warranty.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
My guess is that the dealer will be glad to perform that first service, get it off your worry list and on to their service customer inventory. Mine was similar low mileage as yours for first service, and they were glad to do it. It's income to them.
Let us know what you learn and decide.
probably depends on dealership... I just asked my service dude and he said they only cover first one when within a thousand miles of 16k or a month before 1yr - based on in-service date. I’ll probably get it done out-of-pocket. For me, Category = Cheap insurance

Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Service by the year?

I purchased my 2017 F-Type in March 2017 from the dealership after it had been there for about 8 months. After I had put about 1000 mi. on the car in about 6 mo.I called my salesman(who I had not heard from since I handed him the check, (naturally) thinking I needed to bring the car in for oil change. He had no idea, so referred me to the service department. There I was told that I would be brought in at the 12 month time to have the oil changed, and all the fluids checked. That is exactly what happened. I brought my car in, went over a couple of minor items that concerned me, got a loaner for a day. The next day I picked up my car with oil, filter changed, all fluids checked(supposedly), unwashed,as requested. Of course, during this entire process, I never saw my original salesman. His office was there, unoccupied. I guess once they get one sale, they make enough on that commission, they do not need any referrals.
The very helpful and well informed service manager went over all procedures, answered all questions, explained that everything was based on time of purchase, at least as far as this dealership was concerned.She offered to answer any questions at any time if anything should come up. Hopefully, she will stay around.