F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default First issue

Last few days I've heard a subtle rattle noise, however I was having difficult pin pointing its location. I knew it was coming from over my left shoulder. Today with the windows down the noise was louder. When I arrived home this is was I found. See photo at location of red arrow. The drivers door weather strip barely overlaps the headliner. I can tuck the headliner back under the weather strip but it will eventually come undone. It seems the entire headliner is not firmly attached and easily moved. Is everyone else's headliner the same? Towards the rear of the car, the edge of the headliner looks like it was cut by someone who was hungover with hand shakes.
I'll make an appointment and turn it over to the dealership to handle.

Attached Thumbnails First issue-presentation1.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 05:03 PM

Oh and someone at work in the parking lot put a deep 1" long scratch on the rear bumper

Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I am certain the dealer will resolve the headliner issue to your complete satisfaction. There may be a number of alternative solutions a high end body shop can discuss with you regarding the scratch. Ask your dealer for a recommendation. I had a similar problem when I first got my MINI and the dealer fixed it under warranty. I would not expect that from others.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag F Type R
Oh and someone at work in the parking lot put a deep 1" long scratch on the rear bumper
It's stories like this that make me feel thankful that access to my underground parking garage at work is controlled by armed security officers, who have become very fond of my F-Type.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

sorry to hear. was it vandalism? or accidental damage (like somehow accidentally hitting a shopping cart against your car)? as much as I enjoy having a nice car, the constant worry about vandalism does wear me out.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by shift
sorry to hear. was it vandalism? or accidental damage (like somehow accidentally hitting a shopping cart against your car)? as much as I enjoy having a nice car, the constant worry about vandalism does wear me out.
I believe it was someone being careless as the new parking spaces are huge. Anything intentional would have been much worse.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

This sort of thing bothers me as well.. I find that when I go out I'm always searching for a 'safe' place to park...
It appears your issues are quite fixable, but annoying as hell.
Lawrence.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Same here. I only use valet parking garages or hotels.

Most people are idiots, average iq 96? and they are scum to not leave a note to apologise. In California its illegal not to leave a note I believe.
If I were you I'd demand any cc tv footage and identify the criminal in question then have the police deal with their crime.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg
Same here. I only use valet parking garages or hotels.

Most people are idiots, average iq 96? and they are scum to not leave a note to apologise. In California its illegal not to leave a note I believe.
If I were you I'd demand any cc tv footage and identify the criminal in question then have the police deal with their crime.
I am doing just the opposite. I used to valet park all the time but now try to avoid it (have you seen the YouTube video of the valet flooring it thru the parking garage in a Corvette?). I think 550hp may be too tempting for a valet driver.

At work, we have security guards who patrol the lot but that won't stop a quick scratch to the car. I used to park in the back of the building but now park in the front right up at a wall of windows and in front of the video monitor.

I just returned from a business trip and instead of driving to the airport I left the car in the garage and took a taxi although the fare from my house is quite expensive. I will end up paying the difference between the airport parking rate and the taxi fare but at least had peace of mind while I was gone that my car was protected. I just feel that the Jag, as opposed to BMWs, etc., is fairly rare in my area and raises a certain level of animosity/jealousy in some people that my other cars (even the Porsches) did not.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 251 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
I am doing just the opposite. I used to valet park all the time but now try to avoid it (have you seen the YouTube video of the valet flooring it thru the parking garage in a Corvette?). I think 550hp may be too tempting for a valet driver.
Have you tried activating Valet Mode?

I just returned from a business trip and instead of driving to the airport I left the car in the garage and took a taxi although the fare from my house is quite expensive. I will end up paying the difference between the airport parking rate and the taxi fare but at least had peace of mind while I was gone that my car was protected. I just feel that the Jag, as opposed to BMWs, etc., is fairly rare in my area and raises a certain level of animosity/jealousy in some people that my other cars (even the Porsches) did not.
Yes, I've started taking a corporate car to and from the airport now. It's about $30 more each way. I figure one decent scratch will cost me a grand or two at least. Not to mention a decent ding from a baggage trolley!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Have you tried activating Valet Mode?:
I thought valet mode only locked glove box, trunk, settings, etc. from valet. It does something else? Still wouldn't want to have them park my car. Have found some valet companies actually park vehicles off site in unprotected areas when they become full.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

I thought valet mode only locked glove box, trunk, settings, etc. from valet. It does something else? Still wouldn't want to have them park my car. Have found some valet companies actually park vehicles off site in unprotected areas when they become full.
Oh, does it? I thought it had a speed limiter. Damn - I've really got to read more of the manual!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Ditto--no way I'm handing my fob to a valet, anywhere. I never have on any of my nice cars. Walking is good for you.

Having been in the airline business for so long, many of us, including myself, kept an old vehicle we referred to as "airport beaters."

Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Having been in the airline business for so long, many of us, including myself, kept an old vehicle we referred to as "airport beaters."
My eldest daughter is getting her learners permit in a couple of months, so we'll be getting a sh#tbox to teach her in. I'll probably end up taking that to the airport.

Last edited by OzRisk; 01-22-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by alexg
Same here. I only use valet parking garages or hotels...
I've become weary of valet parkers as well,on a recent visit to SF staying at Parc 55,the valet put a 3" long scratch on the rear bumper of our Lexus,I did my usual walk around but it was in poor light and I didn't notice it until I got home.

I just can't see me valet parking my Jaguar...

Old 01-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

apparently none of you have watched ferris Bueller's day off.

One of my employees used to be a valet at a downtown hotel in Nashville and told a ton of horror stories of what went on once the owner left his keys.

he never valets his own car

Old 01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I just feel that the Jag, as opposed to BMWs, etc., is fairly rare in my area and raises a certain level of animosity/jealousy in some people that my other cars (even the Porsches) did not.
I find the opposite. I find that people are very friendly towards the Jag. It's viewed as cool and unpretentious compared with a BMW M or a Porsche.

On a separate note, I do valet because sometimes I don't have a choice. For instance I was at the Ritz-Carlton Reynolds Plantation resort over New Years and they only had valet.

What I do to reduce risk is I have a GPS tracker in the car. When I valet I switch the tracker to motion track on my iPhone app. In this mode I get an alert whenever the car moves. I can also track the trips, speeds etc. so I know that if the car is moved beyond the 2 minutes it takes to park it.

In the case of an overnight stay like the Ritz I also set up a ring fence to text me if it left the property. I haven't had any issues so far with valets. I am also nice to them and tip them well up front to look after her.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 PM

You guys appear to be concentrating on the wrong topic. I have an appointment to drop off the car in the morning. Today it was beautiful, sunny 80 degrees and when I put the window down at 75 mph, the wind will force the weatherstrip and headliner apart. This forces air into the headliner causing it to flutter. Not acceptable. I doubt this will be a quick easy fix. Stay tuned......

Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

You guys appear to be concentrating on the wrong topic. I have an appointment to drop off the car in the morning. Today it was beautiful, sunny 80 degrees and when I put the window down at 75 mph, the wind will force the weatherstrip and headliner apart. This forces air into the headliner causing it to flutter. Not acceptable. I doubt this will be a quick easy fix. Stay tuned......
If the clips are part of the headliner assembly then They will need to replace the headliner. May take 3-4 weeks to source the part.

If the clips are separate then it's a quick fix. But clearly it's not fastened properly.

Last edited by StealthPilot; 01-22-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Default Day 1

So far no resolution for the squeak/rattle. There has been mention of using an adhesive so that the weather strip does not separate from the headliner and I've mentioned I did not like this solution. I think they are going to call JLR for advice.
At least I have a nice loaner. New XF with less than 1200 miles. This thing has a beautiful suede headliner that does not squeak.

Attached Thumbnails First issue-xf.jpg  

Quick Reply: First issue