F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I like Bob's forum too: Bob Is The Oil Guy | The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Site

This link goes more to racing; still, there's a few useful on-topic nuggets: Racing Oil vs. Street Oil: Know the Differences - EngineLabs

"Follow the engine manufacturers recommendations with regard to the weight of the oil you run."

“Whether you realize it or not, you build your engine around the oil so matching viscosity and clearances is critical.”

"Viscosity must be properly matched to the engine’s clearances and operating conditions to optimize performance."

"...heavy viscosity grade engine oil does not automatically equal better protection."

Old 01-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Thumbs up Words well put !

Originally Posted by Foosh
Both links posted in this thread were written by the same expert. If you're a bright guy and invest a fair amount of time studying what he clearly explains, it should no longer be a mystery to you.

However, for the average bright person, the easiest and "smartest" strategy is to accept that the manufacturer has done extensive testing and knows far more about what's best for your engine in normal street use than you do. Obviously, with longer and longer powertrain warranties now essentially standard, the last thing in the world they can afford is making the wrong oil choice. If they do, they pay the price.

If you still can't accept the above rationale, then just accept the fact that if you use something other than what they recommend and you have a problem, then you'll likely eat the cost of replacing your engine.

It's also important to remember that they sold you a car intended for street use, and if your primary use is on the race track, you'll also have to accept the consequences.
Yes, my use will be probably 80% street use. There will be occasional race situations on empty highway roads so I wondered if the extreme motor heat would break down the oil as its not a heavy grade oil. Your right, keep it as is, and if anything goes wrong it's on Jaguar's shoulders not mine.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:09 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Yes, my use will be probably 80% street use. There will be occasional race situations on empty highway roads so I wondered...
Me too, but IMO this is all street use. Spirited street driving is a far cry from the intense level of even a simple track day. Normal oil requirements are sufficient for frequent spirited street use.

The following users liked this post:
Ubad2 (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Yes, my use will be probably 80% street use. There will be occasional race situations on empty highway roads so I wondered if the extreme motor heat would break down the oil as its not a heavy grade oil. Your right, keep it as is, and if anything goes wrong it's on Jaguar's shoulders not mine.
You're presuming that 'heavier' grade oils don't break down at higher temps as compared to 'normal' grades. I don't believe that this true.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:26 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Again, I don't know ....

Originally Posted by Mikey
You're presuming that 'heavier' grade oils don't break down at higher temps as compared to 'normal' grades. I don't believe that this true.

I'm under the belief that the heavier grade oil can withstand a higher heat level, thus the higher oil grade number on bottle. Otherwise what's the point of using a oil like 10w-60.
No ... ???

Old 01-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

No.

The number on the bottle is an indication of the oil's viscosity at a set test temperature ~210F I think. The oil will still fall apart at a given temp irrespective of the viscosity.

Generally synthetic oils have a higher maximum temp than conventional oils if excessive heat is a concern.

I have no idea why people want to use 10W60.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

For those with the 5.0, have you done an oil analysis yet?

I sent a sample to Blackstone and found out they do not have any averages for the V8 which is surprising considering they are one of the leading oil analysis companies in the US.

I have attached my analysis and I will basically invalidate it due to me not grabbing the sample when I drained so I have no idea where in the drain the sample came from, early or late in the drain can increase the amount of metals and throw off the results.

That being said I will be changing the oil every 7500 miles and will send another sample in for analysis.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JAGUAR_XFR-091915 (1).pdf (13.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by boiler; 01-10-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:24 AM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler
For those with the 5.0, have you done an oil analysis yet?

I sent a sample to Blackstone and found out they do not have any averages for the V8 which is surprising considering they are one of the leading oil analysis companies in the US.

I have attached my analysis and I will basically invalidate it due to me not grabbing the sample when I drained so I have no idea where in the drain the sample came from, early or late in the drain can increase the amount of metals and throw off the results.

That being said I will be changing the oil every 7500 miles and will send another sample in for analysis.
Only have one Blackstone analysis, break-in at 1.5K (and taken halfway through the drain). I'm not surprised Blackstone still doesn't have a good baseline yet.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...5-2014-016.pdf