Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change inquiry ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
When I told people to avoid fuel with ethanol, I got my head bit off by unnamed S-type owners. Now there is even a TSB stating as much.
LOL, same thing happened to me.
Truth is, even the cheapest gas is too expensive for an S-type.
Whereas no gas is good enough when you own a top car.

BTW same thing has happened with the oil change interval- BMW has cut it in half from their ambitious 24months.

Its funny that people get upset with those who side on caution.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sin,

I think the main issue there is that most of us CAN'T avoid ethanol. Gasoline w/o ethanol is like "unobtainium" in virtually all of the U.S.
+1. No such fuel exists in EPA "non-attainment" areas and perhaps everywhere else in the U.S. (particularly premium fuels).

Old 05-09-2016, 03:57 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

We have a few stations that have ethanol free, but it is always mid-grade. That is fine for my truck and pressure washer, but not the JAG.
Larry

Old 05-09-2016, 05:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Try one theses 10775 gas stations
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Ethonol free and some have 94 octane

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten666
Try one theses 10775 gas stations
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Ethonol free and some have 94 octane
Thanks. I checked out the list for my state, and I couldn't find single "real" source. Most sources were either leaded aviation fuel (illegal in cars and destroys cats), sold at marinas for boats, racing fuel (at over $8.00/gallon), sold in quarts or 5 gallon cans only, or no longer available. Although a couple were listed at stations which would normally sell Tier 1 fuel, the notes usually specified a "special pump around back," "of questionable quality," "no branding," "89 octane only," etc. Lastly, virtually all of them were about 100 miles away in very rural areas.

I'd be more concerned about the quality, contamination, and lack of detergents and additives in this fuel than I would be ethanol. It's still "unobtainium" in this section of the real world.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-09-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I am partially sympathetic to difficulties of US-based F-type owners, but F-types are also sold in other countries that have access to untainted fuel. With this in mind, I think it is inappropriate to shout down discussions solely on US-centric political situation. I know US is huuuge, but it isn't entire world.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

When I told people to avoid fuel with ethanol, I got my head bit off by unnamed S-type owners. Now there is even a TSB stating as much.
Can you point me to any such bulletin please?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

I am partially sympathetic to difficulties of US-based F-type owners, but F-types are also sold in other countries that have access to untainted fuel. With this in mind, I think it is inappropriate to shout down discussions solely on US-centric political situation. I know US is huuuge, but it isn't entire world.
I don't think it's a question of "shouting down" discussions. But, if you hand out advice that I would guess at least 70% of the forum population can't possibly follow, then it's rather obvious that such suggestions are going to get a "really, how the heck do I do that?"

You might as well tell me to drill for oil and refine my own gasoline. ;-)

SinF (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:04 AM

I don't think it's a question of "shouting down" discussions. But, if you hand out advice that I would guess at least 70% of the forum population can't possibly follow, then it's rather obvious that such suggestions are going to get a "really, how the heck do I do that?"

You might as well tell me to drill for oil and refine my own gasoline. ;-)
If the other poster is referring to the thread I'm thinking of, it was regarding the oft repeated myths of death and destruction using E10 fuel, conspiracy theories about oil companies cheating on additives, bad science regarding octane ratings and a veiled racial slur over gas station owner's trustworthiness based on their skin colour. Possibly it was a different thread- it gets confusing given the sheer volume of them.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Mikey, are you are back to talking out of your tailpipe? Your tall-tales getting more creative as time goes by, now there are racial slurs. I am anticipating with bated breath where your imagination sans meds will take us next.

Also Mikey, have you test driven F-type yet? They are great cars, we all like ours quite a bit.

Queen and Country (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Mikey, are you are back to talking out of your tailpipe? Your tall-tales getting more creative as time goes by, now there are racial slurs. I am anticipating with bated breath where your imagination sans meds will take us next.

Also Mikey, have you test driven F-type yet? They are great cars, we all like ours quite a bit.
Do you have the link I asked for?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

To all the people saying that putting 15,000 miles on a brand new factory engine oil is insane, what data are you basing that on?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
To all the people saying that putting 15,000 miles on a brand new factory engine oil is insane, what data are you basing that on?
I can only recall one or two people who have taken that extreme a position. However, a number of us, myself included, felt better about doing an an earlier first oil change. Even that probably wasn't necessary.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 AM

I can only recall one or two people who have taken that extreme a position. However, a number of us, myself included, felt better about doing an an earlier first oil change. Even that probably wasn't necessary.
Correct, I am just curious to hear from them what they are basing their opinions on. The battle over oil is a never-ending one I'm afraid. Evolutions in technology can make it hard to change habits.

There was a time when changing your oil every 250 miles was the norm and when a 1000 mile oil was introduced everyone thought they were crazy. Better keep it at 250 to be safe...

And then we got to every 3000 miles, then 5000.....10,000.....now 15,000... and I've yet to find a case of an engine going bad because of any of those intervals. If there are significant amounts of metal shavings in your oil on a brand new factory built engine, there's something wrong with it that no amount of oil changes can fix.

So I wonder, what information do you guys have that tells you changing oil at 15k is crazy? I'm not antagonizing I truly am curious.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Overblown
So I wonder, what information do you guys have that tells you changing oil at 15k is crazy? I'm not antagonizing I truly am curious.
Well, since you asked

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ervals-161367/

Caution: extremely long drawn out thread with bucket loads of BS, ego driven chest thumping and a staggering amount of smoke and mirrors.

TLR version: virtually no proof found that it is a bad thing.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Agreed. .....an earlier oil change interval (especially the first one) might be beneficial or it might not.....but one thing is for certain; it can NOT hurt. ;-)

....doesn't matter to me, the minimum interval of 12 months will mean my oil will likely get changed at 5,000 miles or less.

Dave

Queen and Country (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

There are 2 things you should consider and 1 thing you should eliminate.

Forget metal shavings, that's indeed antiquated.

1. Several top manufacturers have retracted their opinion on long oil change intervals. Because they are discovering the real cost of this experiment. See they have the luxury of saying oops, we dont.

2. There is no precedence for the current direct injected engines. Otherwise a conventional engine has been around for donkey's years. In the DI engines, the problem is two-fold, smaller oil passages and an engine more prone to create sludge. Then you have a runway, sludge begets sludge and carbon buildup on the valves.

For instance, if you own a 2013 BMW, you were told, relax the oil does not need to be changed for 24months. They had massive problems and reduced the time period in half. But they are not compensating the owners of the vehicles prior to their TSB who have suffered massive bills. Toyota did the same.

SinF (05-18-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Thanks. I checked out the list for my state, and I couldn't find single "real" source. Most sources were either leaded aviation fuel (illegal in cars and destroys cats), sold at marinas for boats, racing fuel (at over $8.00/gallon), sold in quarts or 5 gallon cans only, or no longer available. Although a couple were listed at stations which would normally sell Tier 1 fuel, the notes usually specified a "special pump around back," "of questionable quality," "no branding," "89 octane only," etc. Lastly, virtually all of them were about 100 miles away in very rural areas.

I'd be more concerned about the quality, contamination, and lack of detergents and additives in this fuel than I would be ethanol. It's still "unobtainium" in this section of the real world.
+1. Additionally, racing fuel (specifically distillation range) is formulated to maximize performance in the upper rpm range of the engine. Good for track, but not well suited for everyday driving.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
There are 2 things you should consider and 1 thing you should eliminate.

Forget metal shavings, that's indeed antiquated.

1. Several top manufacturers have retracted their opinion on long oil change intervals. Because they are discovering the real cost of this experiment. See they have the luxury of saying oops, we dont.

2. There is no precedence for the current direct injected engines. Otherwise a conventional engine has been around for donkey's years. In the DI engines, the problem is two-fold, smaller oil passages and an engine more prone to create sludge. Then you have a runway, sludge begets sludge and carbon buildup on the valves.

For instance, if you own a 2013 BMW, you were told, relax the oil does not need to be changed for 24months. They had massive problems and reduced the time period in half. But they are not compensating the owners of the vehicles prior to their TSB who have suffered massive bills. Toyota did the same.
What was the milage variant on that 24month thing? Also, BMW has some of the most inept, head scratch inducing smart people working in their engineering department it seems. I feel like they never fail to come out with things that are masterfully wonderful on the outside, yet plagued with disaster on the inside and for no decernably good reason either. It's quite odd.

Also, we are talking about Jaguar Land Rover here. Their recommendation is 15,000mi or 12 months. I still have yet to find evidence that there is anything wrong with that. Have you?

Quick Reply: First oil change inquiry ?