F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change inquiry ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, there are clearly a lot of unknowns, which is causing much consternation in the automotive engineering community. I certainly agree that leaving oil in for extended periods is not good, and even worse for a GDI engine, but I can't imagine that a year and 7-10K miles has created a sludge problem.

I'd be willing to bet that those cars where chain wear is not seen are those that spent 99.9% of their life in lower half of the rpm band.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Thanks for the very informative article, but it sounds to me that this is a GDI weakness for which a solution has not yet been identified. I didn't see any discussion that suggested more frequent oil changes offer any benefit or a solution to this problem.
  1. increased production of fine carbon particulates during combustion which can enter the crankcase via blow by and cause excessive wear
  2. increased fuel dilution of crankcase lube oil (cylinder wall wetting by side-mounted direct fuel injectors allows fuel to contaminate the lube oil)
  3. increased oxidation and deposits from higher operating temperatures and pressures
Some educated guesses:

#1 Blow-by is property of oil life. I know this from my oil burning saga with other car. While oil is fresh it is minimal, after about 3000km it ramps up until it reaches maximum engine-specific rate and stay there. I don't know why this is, but I first-hand observed this as oil consumption related to blowby problems (scraper rings flaw).

#2 Fuel dilution would be seen in the oil analysis, but is property of oil change interval.

#3 Older oil doesn't take temperature as well, this is acceptable when operated under 'normal' circumstances, but they are now running oil at the limit.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyRotten666
Interesting your Forum name is OverBlown considering you prescribe to the 15000 mile manta..... My forgein car mechanic (40 years in the business) stated that if you drive this car like your grandmother you'll get away with 15000 miles service intervals. If you drive it like you stole it change it at 7500..... I think I'll go on the side of caution.
Annnnnnd we're off to the races! Here we go again lol. First, my forum name is a nickname from my drag racing days with I ran a overdriven blower(supercharger) on a big block chevy. Hence, OverBlown.

Second, I don't "subscribe" (the word I assume you actually meant) to one or another mantra. I do however believe that there is a ton of unnecessary hype and unsubstantiated claims when it comes to this amazingly polarizing and divisive topic, oil.

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Dont worry, not many know. And thats the point!! folks who dont know just believe all is well. I can explain in detail what the timing chain has to do with the oil change interval. But first read it from an authority on the subject, so as to take the pursuant academic debate and hairsplitting out of it.

Please use the thanks button if you find my contribution helpful. Do note that even Jaguar is not giving you this heads-up.

ILSAC To Add Timing Chain Wear Test To GF-6

Gasoline direct injection (GDI) and turbocharged GDI (GDI-T) engines are expected to capture 60 to 65% of the North American new passenger car market by 2019. GDI and GDI-T engines are headed for dominance and for good reason: better fuel economy, better torque, and better power from the same size engine versus indirect port fuel injection (PFI) engines. A turbocharged GDI engine can also be downsized and deliver the same peak power along with significantly better fuel economy.

Blue area is GDI forecast
Red area is PFI forecast
Source: HIS Global Insight
Compared to PFI engines GDI and GDI-T engines have several unique features:
  1. increased production of fine carbon particulates during combustion which can enter the crankcase via blow by and cause excessive wear
  2. increased fuel dilution of crankcase lube oil (cylinder wall wetting by side-mounted direct fuel injectors allows fuel to contaminate the lube oil)
  3. increased oxidation and deposits from higher operating temperatures and pressures
  4. higher initial cost than PFI engines for the higher-pressure fuel injection system
The one component that suffers the most from accelerated wear in GDI and GDI-T engines is the metal timing chain, which drives the camshaft(s) off of the crankshaft. Excessive wear can cause the check engine light to illuminate and could result in very expensive internal engine hardware repairs. Excess wear is evident in chain elongation which can disturb valve timing leading to degraded performance and higher engine out emissions. Researchers are not yet sure about the exact wear mechanism—it could be abrasive wear from carbon particles suspended in the lube oil or an interaction between carbon particles and the lubricant or both. A typical timing chain connecting the crankshaft and the overhead cams is shown below.

ILSAC has proposed a timing chain wear test for their new ILSAC GF-6 passenger car engine oil specification click here to view the draft specification proposed for first API licensing on 1/1/2017. Ford is developing the chain wear test in a 2.0 L I-4 EcoBoost GDI-T engine. The wear test procedure is proposed to assure that ILSAC GF-6 engine oils can meet the timing chain durability requirements in GDI and GDI-T engines.
The rest of the world is faced with the same challenge. The European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) is discussing the problem with counterparts in the oil and additive industry with a view of developing a suitable test in the furutre.
The timing chain is constantly facing unfavorable mixed and boundary layer lubrication regimes. Click video link below to learn more about boundary layer lubrication. Mixed and boundary layer lubrication regimes are not the ideal hydrodynamic lubrication regime where metal surfaces well separated by a protective oil film. GDI and GDI-T engine field experience shows in addition to timing chain wear more aggressive oxidation, viscosity gains, and related increases in varnish deposits. None of this is good, so improvements in lubricant performance is nessesary to enable the successful introduction of this new engine technology.
Lubrizol is developing high performance advanced additives packages for high performance GDI and GDI-T engine technology which will soon dominate the passenger car market. Lubricant additives can minimize wear, combat oxidation and control deposits. New lubricant chemical additives require development involving years of test results before commercialization. Given long lead times for lubricant product development, testing, and commercialization there is a growing urgency to proceed with the ILSAC and ACEA programs if the requested commercializations dates are to be met.

Interesting read. What I see there, is proof that we need BETTER oils not more frequent changes of what we are currently using. In fact, I see no mention that the oil being currently used is ever fully up to the task of protecting the metal satisfactorily, even when new. Nor any mention of oil change intervals at all. This study seems to indicate that todays oils are just not up to the task of protecting this new engine technology as it needs to be and that the solution is higher performing lubricants which are in the works.

It also makes me wonder what, if anything, could be done as an improvement on the metallurgy side of things. Could a better made chain be a cheaper and easier solution then higher tech oil? What do you guys think?

Old 05-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Engineering is often not an exact science, but a set of educated guesses based on available data.
That might have been the case back before the 1930's, but empirical engineering went the way of the horse and buggy a long time ago. All engineering development is now conducted in a highly scientific manner.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

I guess I'll add my experiences with timing chain tensioners and oil changes.

So my prior cars were s2000s. 2.0-2.2 liters of 9000 RPM redline goodness. All years of the s2000 suffered from a failing timing chain tensioner that rattled when it can no longer hold the correct tension. Turns out that certain oils became too thin at high heat/age/mileage to sustain the oil pressure needed for the chain tensioner so you ended up with a rattling noise.

Mobil 1 was notorious for becoming thin on the s2000. Everytime I heard the rattling noise start up, I knew it was time to do an oil change which ranged between 3500-5000 miles like clockwork. I switched to Redline or Amsoil and never had to deal with the rattling noise again. I ultimately switched to an aftermarket tensioner which was more robust.

Can be same here. Failing tensioners from lack of oil pressure because oil quality degraded from high heat/age/mileage, etc

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
Queen and Country (05-09-2016), SinF (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Now let me esplain the problem Lucy.

Its whats called a Runaway- a compounding problem. I should have credit in this matter because I was sounding the alarm long before these articles started appearing.

The chain is longer than normal because it has to drive the crazy high pressure fuel pump. So the more links you have- the more slack you will end up with. Say that each link wears by 0.1mm, when you have a 100 of them that 10mm. Because you have the extra load of the pump on the chain- its being stressed really hard. Then there is the fact that you have a hydraulic tensioner in the path; which is a whole nuther can of worms, and then you variable cams which lots of white papers have been written about- then you have a dry sump- i.e there is no oil at crank.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I guess I'll add my experiences with timing chain tensioners and oil changes.

So my prior cars were s2000s. 2.0-2.2 liters of 9000 RPM redline goodness. All years of the s2000 suffered from a failing timing chain tensioner that rattled when it can no longer hold the correct tension. Turns out that certain oils became too thin at high heat/age/mileage to sustain the oil pressure needed for the chain tensioner so you ended up with a rattling noise.

Mobil 1 was notorious for becoming thin on the s2000. Everytime I heard the rattling noise start up, I knew it was time to do an oil change which ranged between 3500-5000 miles like clockwork. I switched to Redline or Amsoil and never had to deal with the rattling noise again. I ultimately switched to an aftermarket tensioner which was more robust.

Can be same here. Failing tensioners from lack of oil pressure because oil quality degraded from high heat/age/mileage, etc
Thank you most kindly for that really informative post. I concur. I will post a remedy that you will find interesting.

Yes Mobil 1 is not even synthetic.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:17 PM

Thank you Foosh.
I have seen a few early adopters in the high performance area suggest more frequent oil changes. The same type that adopted synthetics long before OEM did. However lets not muddy up the water by leaning on the word of tweakers.

What we do know from reliable sources is that oil will cause sludge if left in too long. The question we need to ask is how long is too long. Unfortunately OEMs cant be trusted in this matter.

One other data point is that not everyone has suffered chain wear. And the $64,000 question is in what way is their driving habit different. In either case, you can see there is a lot of grey area and when in doubt...dump it out.
I too don't believe that a manufacturer can't be blindly trusted. We for sure agree upon that. I'm also a fan of data though, and nothing that I can see or find so far suggest to me that JLR recommended intervals are damaging. Not even the study you linked to indicated that.

Plus, if 15,000 miles is too much, then what is to say 7500(made up number) isn't as well? Do you remember when manufacturers first started recommending changes ever 8000 miles? Everyone lost their minds and said it was a conspiracy and insanity and that they would keep changing it every 5000 like they always had. Well, I feel like we're going through the same thing now, just our numbers are different.

Originally Posted by SinF
Engineering is often not an exact science, but a set of educated guesses based on available data. We know that engines are comparable in manufacturing processes (e.g. cylinder lapping techniques, alloys used) and oils are comparable in chemical characteristics. If you see one set of engineers estimating that acceptable oil change interval is Z, and other A then see Z blow up. Based on that you can conclude that 'blow up' is an issue between 0 and Z, and you need to determine if A, within natural variability, is also prone to 'blow up'.

In other words, if you see two wires on the ground. See someone electrocuted by one of them, what would you assume about the other wire?
Sorry, didn't mean to skip over your comment. Yes I agree that it is not an exact science. In fact, it couldn't be or we would never make progress. Impossible just means we haven't figured it out yet right?!!!!

What I'm getting at though, is if company A says go 20,000 miles or 2 years before changing your oil, and a bunch of their engines start failing. How do you take that data and say look, theirs are failing so ours will too if we change our oil at 15,000 miles or 1 year. So lets change it at.......7500(or insert your own number) instead and tell everyone that 15,000 miles is too much. I just can't get behind that logic my friend.

In doing so, you are completely ignoring the fact that you're removing an entire year and 5,000 miles from the equation. That's huge!

Last edited by Overblown; 05-09-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Regarding changing oil at 7500 vs 15000

Well, there is a clear difference, 15000 is the upper limit with no margin for error. I.e. ideal conditions. 7500 gives you twice the margin of error based on the science from the 15000 mile guys.

Also 2 points were missed, the finding of extra contaminants and fuel dilution. So in the case of 7500 miles, it would be half of what it is at 15000.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 05-09-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:39 PM

Well, there is a clear difference, 15000 is the upper limit with no margin for error.
And there it is. Exactly the issue I have with all of this. You say that as if it is fact, when in reality it isn't. It's your opinion. It's your guess. I have no problem with either as long as they are stated as such. Thousands of people read these forums yet only a few actually participate. I believe it is our duty to portray things as honestly as possible for the many, many readers who don't know any better and will take what they read here as gospel.

This is a good, fun debate but honestly there is no proof that either of us is right. And naturally, I feel like there is more data suggesting that JLR is fine in their specs than not. From what I can see, the real solution is either a better design, or a better lubricant.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Overblown, thank you for your questions. I feel we have moved the discussion forward. We went from not knowing there was a known problem with timing chains, to then not knowing how it was related to oil- to now knowing that the International oil committee is mandating a timing chain wear standard. Its a lot of progress for one day.

Lets sleep on the question: how bad does a problem have to be for 2 different oil standard committees to get involved and demand solution. There isnt the same for crankshafts, cams, valves, etc. Food for dreams.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

This entire conversation can be summed up entirely by the philosophical principle of Pascal's Wager.

If one chooses to not believe in God, but God exists, you are infinitely screwed. If one chooses to believe in God, but God doesn't exist, you were perhaps finitely inconvenienced by forgoing certain things in life. Which is the safer bet?

God changes his oil sooner than 15k.

The following users liked this post:
plums (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

The reason for not putting too much trust in JLR's infinite wisdom is that clearly they did not see the timing chain problem. They followed in the footsteps of the rest of the industry with DI. Then the question arises, did they also have the same wisdom about oil. How could they foresee one without the other?

Totally agree on the Pascal's Wager. Especially since the cost of the alternative is inconsequential.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Overblown, thank you for your questions. I feel we have moved the discussion forward. We went from not knowing there was a known problem with timing chains, to then not knowing how it was related to oil- to now knowing that the International oil committee is mandating a timing chain wear standard. Its a lot of progress for one day.

Lets sleep on the question: how bad does a problem have to be for 2 different oil standard committees to get involved and demand solution. There isnt the same for crankshafts, cams, valves, etc. Food for dreams.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. Ever forward.

Originally Posted by Nati
This entire conversation can be summed up entirely by the philosophical principle of Pascal's Wager.

If one chooses to not believe in God, but God exists, you are infinitely screwed. If one chooses to believe in God, but God doesn't exist, you were perhaps finitely inconvenienced by forgoing certain things in life. Which is the safer bet?

God changes his oil sooner than 15k.
Amen? Although, I'm not a religious person, I've always been perplexed by the appeal of heaven/God's reward for loyalty concept. Personally, given the choice in real time and knowing the "lifestyle" expected of me, I'd pass. That's a topic for a different thread though lol! Have a good evening gentlemen, off to dinner and a movie.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown

Interesting read. What I see there, is proof that we need BETTER oils not more frequent changes of what we are currently using. In fact, I see no mention that the oil being currently used is ever fully up to the task of protecting the metal satisfactorily, even when new. Nor any mention of oil change intervals at all. This study seems to indicate that todays oils are just not up to the task of protecting this new engine technology as it needs to be and that the solution is higher performing lubricants which are in the works.

It also makes me wonder what, if anything, could be done as an improvement on the metallurgy side of things. Could a better made chain be a cheaper and easier solution then higher tech oil? What do you guys think?
That was exactly what I saw, no mention of more frequent oil changes, just an urgency to find better oil. I agree that it also implied that new oil was perhaps not effectively protecting the chain either.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-09-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Did I miss something? I have not heard of any chain tensioners failing on the F-Type. The tensioner on my wife's Gen 2 MINI failed within 3000 miles, but due to a design flaw later corrected for all in a recall.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Did I miss something? I have not heard of any chain tensioners failing on the F-Type. The tensioner on my wife's Gen 2 MINI failed within 3000 miles, but due to a design flaw later corrected for all in a recall.
Perhaps you missed a little. "Queen and Country" cited a history of failures on other JLR models w/ essentially the same engines.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
"Queen and Country" cited a history of failures on other JLR models w/ essentially the same engines.
Hmmm...a lot of useless angst being stirred up. You just need to periodically analyze the oil. The oil will speak to you.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

2. There is no precedence for the current direct injected engines. Otherwise a conventional engine has been around for donkey's years. In the DI engines, the problem is two-fold, smaller oil passages and an engine more prone to create sludge. Then you have a runway, sludge begets sludge and carbon buildup on the valves.
Carbon buildup on the intake valves in DI engines is more from the DI than the oil. They're related, but indirectly. Because there is no fuel washing the intake valves in normal operation, oil vapor from the crankcase deposits on the valves and there's nothing to help clean it off.

I think Subaru has a good idea in that their DI system also has intake port injectors. The hybrid injection scheme takes advantage of the benefits of both.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Hmmm...a lot of useless angst being stirred up. You just need to periodically analyze the oil. The oil will speak to you.
I don't have time to catch up, but this seems to be the case.

I had my oil analyzed and at about the 6K mile point metals were continuing to increase. Nothing alarming, but the analyst recommended I should consider a change. I did. I went the full recommended interval with my Volvo because analysis indicated I was safe. That analysis included checking the TBN (Total Base Number, indicative of additive levels). As Reagan said about the Russians, while stealing from a Russian proverb, "Trust, but verify."

Quick Reply: First oil change inquiry ?