F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:16 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default First Road Trip

Just finished our first, 1000 mi, road trip since I got the car in January. This is one sweet road trip car! Very comfy for cruising down the interstate and wonderful on 2 lane roads with all of the passing power I could ever want.
I had switched to Michelins but I did not find them appreciably quieter than the OEM Pirellis. A few nitty items:

1. This cruise control is much smarter than my Porsche was. After you pass someone you can push "resume" and the car coasts down to speed rather than downshifting. My Porsche always downshifted the PDK, bad.
2. The car calculated fuel mileage was always 10% high. Actual fuel mileage was 25-27 mpg, each leg had a mixture of interstate cruising and some aggressive 2 lane road driving. If I subtracted 3 mpg from the indication, it was pretty close.
3. The indicated miles to empty is totally FUBAR, always way too low. If this has some learning software it is way too slow. Although my last tank finally indicated over 400 miles, while the other were less than 300, I expected miles to go to be closer to 450 after one or two fills.
4. Is there a compass anywhere? Or is the only way to know direction by looking at the car arrow on the NAV display? I used to like having a compass displayed somewhere.
5. Most of my driving was in normal mode with a bit in dynamic/sport. I wonder if the highway mileage is any higher with the exhaust open in normal mode? I will try that on the next trip.

I sorta like all of the oohs and ahhs from people wherever I stopped. Again, one really sweet car!

Larry

The following users liked this post:
GGG (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Larry,

Great to read about a long road trip. I spend way too much of my time with repair threads on the forums!

A compass in the interior rear view mirror was an option on several earlier Jaguar models but I've just checked Jaguar EPC and there isn't one listed for the F-Type.

Graham

Old 06-11-2016, 05:17 AM

Yeah, no compass in the mirror. I need to look at the dash setting a little harder.
Larry

Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

No compass, which I too think is lame. Would have been simple to add it to the nav display. The car's arrow is the only way I've come up with. And the position of the sun.

We're not allowed to use sextants while driving in MA.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:35 AM

I used to have a Casio sailing watch that had a compass function, but it dies a long time ago. I can live with the NAV map, but it kicks into "direction of travel up" when you are close to a turn and it was not obvious what compass point was direction of travel. I prefer North up since that is the way I learned to navigate and then it is easy to see car direction.
Larry

Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Larry - thank you for the report. I'm planning a 6000km round trip in my vert from Ontario to Colorado to Wyoming and back. I will be changing tires to the Michelins.

My question - do you have a spare tire? If not then what did you do? I have no spare and what I have done is bought a jack for my car with a plug kit. I can use the compressor with the kit to re-inflate. Of course this plan falls apart with a sidewall injury.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:39 AM

No spare, spares are rare these days. I do what many do today...nothing. The tire goo is all that I carry and a cell phone.

Larry

Old 06-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

And the jaguar roadside button in the ceiling

Old 06-11-2016, 06:06 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
... I can live with the NAV map, but it kicks into "direction of travel up" when you are close to a turn and it was not obvious what compass point was direction of travel. I prefer North up since that is the way I learned to navigate and then it is easy to see car direction.
Larry
You can turn off that mode, where it zooms in and switches views as you get closer to a turn. Confused the hell out of me the first time it did it.