Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Service...Really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts
Default First Service...Really?

I guess I didn't read the owners manual thoroughly enough as I just called the service manager of my local dealer asking when the first service is due and he informed my it's 12 months or 16,000 miles?

I recognize that newer cars have lengthier periods of routine servicing but 12 months or 16,000 miles? Surely that must come as a surprise to not just me and I'm also willing to bet many here don't wait that long?

But, then...what the hell do I know?

Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Some people do their first oil change after the break-in period. Usually 2-3k miles, as a precaution to remove any metal shavings from the factory. But after that, you should be able to just follow the regular service schedule.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

My plan was to wait until after break-in but I think I'll have the first oil change @ 5k and then follow their schedule after that.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My car started telling me (via notice at startup) at 2500 miles that it wants a service at 3500. Not sure if the dealer programed that or I got a bit too happy with the go pedal once break-in was complete. Got it scheduled for next week, so I'll find out then.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I guess I didn't read the owners manual thoroughly enough as I just called the service manager of my local dealer asking when the first service is due and he informed my it's 12 months or 16,000 miles?

I recognize that newer cars have lengthier periods of routine servicing but 12 months or 16,000 miles? Surely that must come as a surprise to not just me and I'm also willing to bet many here don't wait that long?

But, then...what the hell do I know?
With synthetic oil and "clean-room" engine manufacturing processes, that's fairly typical now for many new cars, but I too would change the filter/oil shortly after prescribed break-in.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by duprey26
My car started telling me (via notice at startup) at 2500 miles that it wants a service at 3500. Not sure if the dealer programed that or I got a bit too happy with the go pedal once break-in was complete. Got it scheduled for next week, so I'll find out then.
That's because the clock started at the factory when the car was built. I'd bet you started getting notices 1 year after it's build date. The dealer is supposed to reset it upon delivery, but they didn't do so on my car either.

Regardless of mileage, recommended service is supposed to occur annually.

The following users liked this post:
duprey26 (04-13-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

No wonder Jaguar tossed in free maintenance for new model years...service every 12 months or 16,000 miles!?

Seriously, I do realize that between modern engines and synthetic oil, we're not talking the "old standard" of oil changes at 3,000 (or slightly more) miles - and I seem to recall my wife's 2006 BMW 325xi Wagon called for initial service around 12,000 miles; I also seem to recall coming in at 8,000 - and while I'm not complaining about 12 months/16,000 miles, I do find that surprising.

I'm not so sure when I will bring it in for the initial service; but thanks for those responding.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 04-13-2015, 12:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I was told that for the first service to be free, it had to 1 year +/- 1 month, or 16K miles +/- 1K miles. Mine's going in for its second service (at 15.5K miles, 2 years) soon.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

The shopping car (E46 330ci - picked up another door dent today) has been running on SI Based servicing since new (2002). The first service was at 6 months (17k), the second at 12 months (37k), the third at 18 months (50k), and so on until its usage changed and it did just 12k in 3 years ( and didn't get serviced as a result).

165k now and running well.

Nannying them will not protect them from premature engine failure, but sticking to the service interval recommended and documenting it will minimise both the risk and the depreciation.

HTH

Last edited by F-typical; 04-13-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
No wonder Jaguar tossed in free maintenance for new model years...service every 12 months or 16,000 miles!?

Seriously, I do realize that between modern engines and synthetic oil, we're not talking the "old standard" of oil changes at 3,000 (or slightly more) miles - and I seem to recall my wife's 2006 BMW 325xi Wagon called for initial service around 12,000 miles; I also seem to recall coming in at 8,000 - and while I'm not complaining about 12 months/16,000 miles, I do find that surprising.

I'm not so sure when I will bring it in for the initial service; but thanks for those responding.

Best regards,
Jay
There is some support for an early break-in changeout. The Owners Manual/Handbooks (though not Jaguar) for many performance vehicles specify early oil changes, e.g, M3/M4, GT-R, etc., in the first 1200-1500 miles. I changed out at around 1,800 miles. Wanted to help remove break-in metal and sealers. An analysis of the oil (Blackstone Lab) revealed nothing remarkable.

While synthetics have extended oil changes beyond the usual 3K intervals, who really knows if going 16K miles between changes really harms an engine unless one does a tear-down. I once took apart a blown motor with many more miles than 16K on it that ran on synthetics throughout its life, and was rather surprised to find its original cross-hatch hone still showing along with a spotless (no varnish) lifter valley! Became an instant fan of synthetics from that point on.

You mention BMW. Interesting to note that in 2014, BMW reduced its "maintenance-free" oil change interval from 15K miles to 10K miles. Whatever you do, as others are saying here, just make sure you change oil at least every 12 months. (Drove one car only 500 miles a year, but I changed its oil every 12 mos. I needed to remind myself that just because the oil "looked clean" didn't mean it was.)

Last edited by deltagroup; 04-13-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added to reply
Old 04-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's because the clock started at the factory when the car was built. I'd bet you started getting notices 1 year after it's build date. The dealer is supposed to reset it upon delivery, but they didn't do so on my car either.

Regardless of mileage, recommended service is supposed to occur annually.
Ah, that makes sense. Mine was a leftover '14 on the dealer lot, so it's probably the 1 year anniversary of it's manufacture. The notice was not about timing however, which is what threw me off. The notice on the dash says something to the effect of "Service recommended in XXX miles". Though that number has been changing, and when added to current mileage, has not remained constant, so maybe the computer is predicting mileage at the drop-dead date based on current usage patterns.

Last edited by duprey26; 04-13-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by duprey26
Ah, that makes sense. Mine was a leftover '14 on the dealer lot, so it's probably the 1 year anniversary of it's manufacture. The notice was not about timing however, which is what threw me off. The notice on the dash says something to the effect of "Service recommended in XXX miles". Though that number has been changing, and when added to current mileage, has not remained constant, so maybe the computer is predicting mileage at the drop-dead date based on current usage patterns.
Yes, that's the only message the system delivers regardless of whether it's time-based (1 year since reset), or mileage-based. Mine was an Oct 2013 build, I bought the car in June 2014. Toward the end of September 2014, I received the same message you did.

I did an oil change then anyway because I was at the end of the break-in period for reasons Delta articulated above. However, I saved my free annual service visit for my one-year anniversary which will be this June. The annual service is more than double the cost of a simple oil and filter change.

The service manager told me he needed to remind his techs to reset the system as part of the pre-delivery check.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
There is some support for an early break-in changeout. The Owners Manual/Handbooks (though not Jaguar) for many performance vehicles specify early oil changes, e.g, M3/M4, GT-R, etc., in the first 1200-1500 miles. I changed out at around 1,800 miles. Wanted to help remove break-in metal and sealers. An analysis of the oil (Blackstone Lab) revealed nothing remarkable.

While synthetics have extended oil changes beyond the usual 3K intervals, who really knows if going 16K miles between changes really harms an engine unless one does a tear-down. I once took apart a blown motor with many more miles than 16K on it that ran on synthetics throughout its life, and was rather surprised to find its original cross-hatch hone still showing along with a spotless (no varnish) lifter valley! Became an instant fan of synthetics from that point on.

You mention BMW. Interesting to note that in 2014, BMW reduced its "maintenance-free" oil change interval from 15K miles to 10K miles. Whatever you do, as others are saying here, just make sure you change oil at least every 12 months. (Drove one car only 500 miles a year, but I changed its oil every 12 mos. I needed to remind myself that just because the oil "looked clean" didn't mean it was.)
The Service Record on the shopping car contains an entry for a Break In service for the M3, but no other models. This suggests a different oil as built, and a marketing strategy...

"My car is High Performance, because it needs a break in service." Really?

Old 04-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

When I bought my 2007 911 the factory recommended service interval was 20,000 miles or two years. That changed in 2008 (to 10000 or 15000, can't remember which) but for 07 it was very high. Porsche didn't offer free maintenance either.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
The Service Record on the shopping car contains an entry for a Break In service for the M3, but no other models. This suggests a different oil as built, and a marketing strategy...

The recommended oil for the M3 is 10W-60 rather than the usual 10W-30. But, there may be a "follow-the $$" thing going as well.

"My car is High Performance, because it needs a break in service." Really?
Actually, I thought it was the other way around! ;-)

Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Agreed! I too am a believer when it comes to using synthetic motor oil; been using it in all my vehicles for as long as I can remember.

Thanks for your input (goes for all).
Jay