Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time JLR Owner - Forum Introduction and Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 11:14 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First Time JLR Owner - Forum Introduction and Build Thread

X-Post From Introduction:

Hey everybody, I just took delivery of a 17' F-Type R about a month ago and have been lurking on the forums whilst I got acquainted with her. I look forward to emeeting and engaging with a new community of enthusiasts.

I come from a long history of German car ownership and modding, and I am huge DIYer. From manual transmission swaps and ECU tuning to full interior reupholstering, I've done it all. But not without questioning my own sanity.

​Notable options:
  • Black & suede extended leather package with white contrast stitching
  • Black performance brake calipers
  • Black Package 3
  • Illuminated Door Sill Treadplates
  • Vision Package
As of now, the completed mods on my F-Type are the following:
  • Auto Start/Stop disconnected
  • LoJack installed
  • 15mm hub-centric spacers in the front
  • 20mm hub-centric spacers in the rear
  • IDCore Android Auto & Carplay Nav Unit
  • Symposer ball valved
  • Quilted 3-piece boot/trunk liner (will be replacing the velcro cubby flap with marine zipper pulls once they get in from China)
  • Sun visor warning labels removed
  • Carbon fiber key fob cover
  • R Badges swapped to satin black
  • Leaping Jaguar emblem and script swapped to gloss black
  • Debadged AWD and model-line badge
  • Replaced front red growler emblem with a grey growler
  • 3D Printed magnetic phone mount, clamped to the grab handle
  • Added an additional USB & 3.5mm female jack to the center armrest cubby for the ID core
  • The car came with a carbon fiber S sport steering wheel, which looks good and feels excellent. I just don't like the orange stitching and "S" badge. (If you're an S owner, it will be up for sale in the near future)
  • Envelope style cargo net

Upcoming mods and their status:

—Mina Gallery intake and pipes (going in this weekend)
—Project 7 Grille swap (still need to sort out the sensor brackets but I have the grille in my shop)
—E-code Facelift taillights swap (should be done this weekend)
—E-code front headlights swap (have the driver side, waiting on the passenger side)
— Custom forged carbon and alcantara steering wheel (I'm about 50% finished forging the carbon)
—Grey union jack center caps (going in this weekend)
—Afterburner exhaust tips (possibly this weekend)
—Front camera (will be installed with the grille once I sort out the parking sensor brackets)

[Plenty more to come, so stay tuned (pun intended)]

Last edited by MovesLike; 09-03-2021 at 11:28 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MovesLike:
datriani (09-23-2021), GGG (09-03-2021), mrjohnt (09-23-2021), Sparky H (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:40 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow you've been busy! Looks great!

Old 09-03-2021, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Wow you've been busy! Looks great!
Thanks! The wife is away this weekend, so the hustle will continue!

Old 09-03-2021, 11:49 AM

Nice! Did you 3D print your own phone holder?

Old 09-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Looks good. I was going to put a valve in the symposer line but decided there was no point because I never want to hear it again

Enjoy the car. Don't worry about the sanity (or lack thereof).

Old 09-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Enjoy....And good luck with the mods.....I have a 17 R as well...Great car so far.

DC

Old 09-21-2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Nice! Did you 3D print your own phone holder?

Apologies for the slow response, yes I did. Pretty simple process. I just measured and CAD'd the center console grab handle and brought the files into a local 3D printing shop.

Last edited by MovesLike; 09-21-2021 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fireze22 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Looks good. I was going to put a valve in the symposer line but decided there was no point because I never want to hear it again

Enjoy the car. Don't worry about the sanity (or lack thereof).

Ha! I get that for sure. I just wanted the ability to remind myself why I want it off and to show/explain the absurdity of it to other enthusiasts.

Last edited by MovesLike; 09-21-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:02 PM
Quick Update:

Intake and pipes were installed a couple of weeks back. They look so much better than the stock rain-gutter inlet pipes and the supercharger can actually be heard now! Partially because of my OCD tendencies and partially due to the horrendous instructions, the installation was a far bigger hassle than I was expecting. I took the front bumper cover and headlight off for the install and still had a tough time getting the pipe and fittings at the right angle so that none of the components were touching the vehicle, except for the mounting locations. Happy to be done with it.

E-Code Facelift Tail Lights were dropped in last week. Took maybe 45mins total. Super easy, direct fit, and they look kick-***.

I pulled off the tint that was on the car when I took delivery and installed XPEL XR+ 20%VHT on the side and rear windows and XPEL XR 70% on the front windshield. Really pleased with the outcome, this is the best ceramic tint I have ever used.

I also reworked my boot liner a bit to eliminate the velcro that connects the cubby-access flap: I ordered some supersized zipper pulls from china for $6 and sewed them in as a replacement. Now it is much easier to access the storage area. I will share some photos later on.

Before my road trip this past weekend, I hardwired a 2-channel Thinkware U100 to a power magic pro, and also added a mirror tap for my Uniden R7. For the R7, I removed the suction cups from one of the supplied mounts and affixed some 3M automotive double-sided tape to the back. This allowed me to mount the detector high enough to ensure that the treated windshield doesn't interfere. Plus, the unit is far more stable now.

Pics to follow

Much more to do and enjoying the process.

mrjohnt (09-23-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 04:06 PM

Nice to have a DIY'er join the group!

Old 09-23-2021, 10:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MovesLike
Quick Update:

Intake and pipes were installed a couple of weeks back. They look so much better than the stock rain-gutter inlet pipes and the supercharger can actually be heard now! Partially because of my OCD tendencies and partially due to the horrendous instructions, the installation was a far bigger hassle than I was expecting. I took the front bumper cover and headlight off for the install and still had a tough time getting the pipe and fittings at the right angle so that none of the components were touching the vehicle, except for the mounting locations. Happy to be done with it.

E-Code Facelift Tail Lights were dropped in last week. Took maybe 45mins total. Super easy, direct fit, and they look kick-***.

I pulled off the tint that was on the car when I took delivery and installed XPEL XR+ 20%VHT on the side and rear windows and XPEL XR 70% on the front windshield. Really pleased with the outcome, this is the best ceramic tint I have ever used.

I also reworked my boot liner a bit to eliminate the velcro that connects the cubby-access flap: I ordered some supersized zipper pulls from china for $6 and sewed them in as a replacement. Now it is much easier to access the storage area. I will share some photos later on.

Before my road trip this past weekend, I hardwired a 2-channel Thinkware U100 to a power magic pro, and also added a mirror tap for my Uniden R7. For the R7, I removed the suction cups from one of the supplied mounts and affixed some 3M automotive double-sided tape to the back. This allowed me to mount the detector high enough to ensure that the treated windshield doesn't interfere. Plus, the unit is far more stable now.

Pics to follow

Much more to do and enjoying the process.
Can you post some pictures of the E code tail lights?
I’m lost as to what they look like.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2021, 03:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Can’t wait to see the pictures! Are you leaving the stock exhaust and just affixing the afterburner tips?
keep us updated

Old 09-24-2021, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jason-ATSV

Thanks!
They are the tinted facelift variety, which look much better than the previous generation of tail lights. What makes them E-codes are the amber turn signals.

I will do you one better:

First Time JLR Owner - Forum Introduction and Build Thread-rc9x460.gif

Old 09-24-2021, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
Can’t wait to see the pictures! Are you leaving the stock exhaust and just affixing the afterburner tips?
keep us updated
Great question. As of now I am just going to fit the tips. But I will likely end up customizing the exhaust in the future. Especially because I just realized, after a week, that I forgot to plug the vacuum actuator back in when I reinstalled the bumper... Guess that's what happens when you take the rear cover off and reinstall it all myself in 45 mins.

I was wondering why the hell my car, in standard drive mode, was a literal hellcat at 0430hrs heading to gym. I chalked it up to the colder weather until my wife said it was "way louder than normal".

The neighbors were quickly given gift bags with little Jaguar stuffed animals for the tykes.

Now That I know the valves weren't actually closed the past week, I'm thinking of fabricating more free-flowing cats and open up the downpipes a bit. Probably an X pipe.

I will have the tips installed this weekend. I will try to give a bit of a walkthrough, but I will absolutely be sharing photos of my F-15 Tomcat, ready for takeoff!

Old 09-24-2021, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I see you have an R which already comes stock with an X-pipe in the exhaust system, it's the V6 which doesn't.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:25 AM

Thanks!
For the boys, a few more pics from the single best self-wash bay I have ever used.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MovesLike
They are the tinted facelift variety, which look much better than the previous generation of tail lights. What makes them E-codes are the amber turn signals.

I will do you one better:

Those look fantastic! I’ll be adding that to
my mod list when I get my F Type

What is the part number/how would I know that ordered the right tail light assembly.

mrjohnt (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I see you have an R which already comes stock with an X-pipe in the exhaust system, it's the V6 which doesn't.
Ha, correct you are. As you can see, I haven't put much thought into it yet. In my experience, HFCs tend to make a pretty significant difference on forced induction engines. So that is on my "to research" list and likely will be where I start. I imagine replacing the stock 600 cell cats with some 200 cell cats, beaded to some mandrel-bent SS, would open her up quite a bit?

Though, at least for now, I am pretty content with the soundtrack of the AJ133 and the active exhaust. Especially now that I can hear the wail of the SC.

My top modding priority right now is to roll my fenders... Unfortunately, I somehow managed to lose my Eastwood roller, so I am waiting on the delivery of a replacement.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:23 PM

Those look fantastic! I’ll be adding that to
my mod list when I get my F Type

What is the part number/how would I know that ordered the right tail light assembly.
I bought both of mine from salvaged UK cars. EBay UK and EU are great sources. I paid less than $90 per light, which is absurd compared to what the e-codes on my Audi and Porsche cost me.

Euro Spec Part Numbers: LH T2R24155 & RH T2R24154

The listings often have incorrect part numbers, so I recommend verifying the part number on the sticker or asking the seller for a photo of it.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any further info.

Last edited by MovesLike; 09-24-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:32 PM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Have you inspected the cooling system for leaks? I don't see the mileage listed for the vehicle, but if it hasn't been replaced, the rear heater pipe between the cylinder heads is a common failure point that can lead to catastrophic engine damage.

Another area to inspect is the outlet pipe under the front of the supercharger and thermostat housing on the AJ133, which are also subject to leaks.

MovesLike (09-24-2021)

Quick Reply: First Time JLR Owner - Forum Introduction and Build Thread