F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash tune before installing the crank pulley!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 09:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flash tune before installing the crank pulley!

Hi guys.
This is Tommy from S.Korea.

Some of you know that I've tried to install VAP tune for my P380.
But seems it will not that easy.
Thus, I found the alternative which is Techtec that migh be familiar with many guys here as It's also famous.

I have a thought to map the car w/o crank pulley first time and if I feel it's not enought , I will upgrade the pulley.

The person from Techtec said that I don't need to remap the car after installing the pulley as ECU will learn the RPM and settle automatically.

It is really a true?

what do you think?

Old 04-20-2020, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo
Hi guys.
This is Tommy from S.Korea.

Some of you know that I've tried to install VAP tune for my P380.
But seems it will not that easy.
Thus, I found the alternative which is Techtec that migh be familiar with many guys here as It's also famous.

I have a thought to map the car w/o crank pulley first time and if I feel it's not enought , I will upgrade the pulley.

The person from Techtec said that I don't need to remap the car after installing the pulley as ECU will learn the RPM and settle automatically.

It is really a true?

what do you think?
If you will be installing the upper pulley, he is right. If you are installing the lower pulley, he may be wrong. wrong. Unless TechTec has already mapped for the higher boost of the lower pulley, a code will be thrown and the car will go into limp mode when the engine is pushed over 5300 rpm.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If you will be installing the upper pulley, he is right. If you are installing the lower pulley, he may be wrong. wrong. Unless TechTec has already mapped for the higher boost of the lower pulley, a code will be thrown and the car will go into limp mode when the engine is pushed over 5300 rpm.
As Tommy has a V6 it's odds on he is talking about a crank pulley and not an upper pulley.
As you say it's OK to drive the car with the larger crank pulley but no tune pending install of the tune as long as you take it easy, I and many others have done so with no problems.
But you really need a dedicated tune to take advantage of the crank pulley let alone being forced to baby the car.
I *think* Tommy is saying "Techtec can/will apply a tune with no larger crank pulley, then when a larger crank pulley is installed later the tune/ECU will adapt to it without any problem and there is no need for a further tune file".
I don't think this is good advice, once the crank pulley is installed a new tune will be needed for sure.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:27 AM

Maybe he is talking abat lower pulley .

Old 04-21-2020, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
As Tommy has a V6 it's odds on he is talking about a crank pulley and not an upper pulley.
As you say it's OK to drive the car with the larger crank pulley but no tune pending install of the tune as long as you take it easy, I and many others have done so with no problems.
But you really need a dedicated tune to take advantage of the crank pulley let alone being forced to baby the car.
I *think* Tommy is saying "Techtec can/will apply a tune with no larger crank pulley, then when a larger crank pulley is installed later the tune/ECU will adapt to it without any problem and there is no need for a further tune file".
I don't think this is good advice, once the crank pulley is installed a new tune will be needed for sure.

Yes, Tommy is saying "Techtec can/will apply a tune with no larger crank pulley, then when a larger crank pulley is installed later the tune/ECU will adapt to it without any problem and there is no need for a further tune file
This is what I heard from the person in Tecktec.

They will tune(map) the car in stock , and later when I feel thristy in power, I tell them I will install the crank pulley and asked them I need to remap the car as per the size of the pulley changed.
And They said to me 'don't need to, cause ECU will calculate the size of the pulley which might be bigger and settle.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Well maybe but all the other tuners for Jaguar stuff usually do a stage I tune with no pulley upgrade and a stage II tune when adding any pulley.
So it seems that is not the common way to tune a car?

I know on my XJ that the pulley and stage II tune was a very noticeably increase in power.
BUT I have an XJR and you have the V-6 so maybe that's the difference?

Old 04-21-2020, 04:35 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Definately not Tommy tech tech (never heard of them) don't know what the're talking about, if you put a lower crank pulley on
after the tune the tune will need to be done.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

It is possible to have a "pulley ready" tune that will work without one. My VAP tune is set up for the lower pulley, but I haven't installed it. It has the boost limit raised so it will throw no codes, but will not reach full potential until I install the lower pulley (sitting on my workbench sulking, waiting for me to carve out some time for installation).

Old 04-22-2020, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
It is possible to have a "pulley ready" tune that will work without one. My VAP tune is set up for the lower pulley, but I haven't installed it. It has the boost limit raised so it will throw no codes, but will not reach full potential until I install the lower pulley (sitting on my workbench sulking, waiting for me to carve out some time for installation).
it’s not that there is a “boost limit”, but rather the boost tables that are written don’t go up high enough to address boosts approaching 20psi. As a result, the ecu doesn’t know what to do and throws an excessive boost code.

If the “TechTec” tune has been optimized for no pulley change, it is likely suboptimal or dangerous with the pulley installed. Beyond that, given the fact that none of us have ever heard of TechTec, it’s hard to evaluate whether they really know what they’re doing.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

it’s not that there is a “boost limit”, but rather the boost tables that are written don’t go up high enough to address boosts approaching 20psi. As a result, the ecu doesn’t know what to do and throws an excessive boost code.

If the “TechTec” tune has been optimized for no pulley change, it is likely suboptimal or dangerous with the pulley installed. Beyond that, given the fact that none of us have ever heard of TechTec, it’s hard to evaluate whether they really know what they’re doing.
Agreed.
My take on this is that TechTec is talking/advising about a smaller upper pulley without understanding that a smaller upper pulley on a V6 F-Type is a waste of time and money or that Tommy is really talking about a larger crank pulley.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My take on this is that TechTec is talking/advising about a smaller upper pulley without understanding that a smaller upper pulley on a V6 F-Type is a waste of time and money or that Tommy is really talking about a larger crank pulley.
That’s the way I see it.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I was oversimplifying, to be sure. There is a limit to the amount of boost before the system throws a code. Your explanation is better.

No disagreement from me. I was just noting it was possible. The VAP tune I have is for a pulley, but safe without one. If they don't have a car with a pulley to develop the tune, they'll just be guessing for boost levels over stock.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 429 Likes on 313 Posts

small pulley a waste ,all power comes from crank and tune

Old 02-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo
Yes, Tommy is saying "Techtec can/will apply a tune with no larger crank pulley, then when a larger crank pulley is installed later the tune/ECU will adapt to it without any problem and there is no need for a further tune file
This is what I heard from the person in Tecktec.

They will tune(map) the car in stock , and later when I feel thristy in power, I tell them I will install the crank pulley and asked them I need to remap the car as per the size of the pulley changed.
And They said to me 'don't need to, cause ECU will calculate the size of the pulley which might be bigger and settle.
This is an old post but just to address it with some factual information:

1. The ECU does not 'calculate the size of the pulley.' If you want an optimized, correctly functioning and safe vehicle with a pulley fitted, you need to have it tuned correctly for the pulley.
2. I'm familiar with TechTec. We have seen a couple files on FTypes previously tuned by ETG, which had files 'signed' by TechTec. Both files had two torque tables edited with demand increased by around 8%, and no other modifications.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 02-04-2022, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by dennis black
small pulley a waste ,all power comes from crank and tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0XNQrfv4G8
A smaller upper pulley isn't a waste, but the crank pulley is the first one that should be done, if only done one. Slippage is an issue when reducing the size of the upper pulley, that's why we introduced the Griptec version

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
A smaller upper pulley isn't a waste, but the crank pulley is the first one that should be done, if only done one. Slippage is an issue when reducing the size of the upper pulley, that's why we introduced the Griptec version
Okay, but better is in my view a bigger crank pulley, a longer belt and a oem upper Pulley with more grip... :-) that is perfecti think...

Old 02-04-2022, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
Okay, but better is in my view a bigger crank pulley, a longer belt and a oem upper Pulley with more grip... :-) that is perfecti think...
Right, a bigger crank pulley and longer belt is better than an OEM crank pulley and a smaller upper pulley. However, we have already maxed out the crank pulley size within the physically available space. If you want to go further than that, you need a smaller upper pulley. If you can do that without slippage, you'll get more power & torque than an OEM upper pulley. Whether that's 'better' or not, is for each owner to decide

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-04-2022, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Stuart I have been following the griptec stuff from the beginning. Does VAP supply the upper pulley only with griptec coating?
From all I have read it does work as advertised too?

Any comment on porting the TVS1900? See lots of claims and it's a very common blower for US cars now so lots of them out in the wild.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Right, a bigger crank pulley and longer belt is better than an OEM crank pulley and a smaller upper pulley. However, we have already maxed out the crank pulley size within the physically available space. If you want to go further than that, you need a smaller upper pulley. If you can do that without slippage, you'll get more power & torque than an OEM upper pulley. Whether that's 'better' or not, is for each owner to decide
I have ordered your new upper pulley in this moment :-) thank you, I will show what's going on with that. For the new software Update, I will send you an email when the pulley is in Germany, thank you so much, I think that is the best in my view now :-)

Old 02-04-2022, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Stuart I have been following the griptec stuff from the beginning. Does VAP supply the upper pulley only with griptec coating?
From all I have read it does work as advertised too?

Any comment on porting the TVS1900? See lots of claims and it's a very common blower for US cars now so lots of them out in the wild.
Indeed we do: https://www.velocityap.com/product/j...-upper-pulley/

No comment on porting at this time. We are working on some larger blower options that should be able to achieve better value that porting.

www.velocityap.com

Quick Reply: Flash tune before installing the crank pulley!