F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Bottom Sports Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019 | 08:49 PM
|
Default Flat Bottom Sports Steering Wheel

I got a 2015 F-Type V6 base, and i would like to change my steering wheel, just wanna know is it the Sports Steering Wheel (T2R4640PVJ) will fit into my car?
My car is Automatic and without heated.

Also are there anyone know the parts no. of this silver finishing flat bottom steering wheel? many thanks

Alvin.

Last edited by nkc1989hkjc; 10-31-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2019 | 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, that is the correct one and it should fit with zero problems, there is a thread around here somewhere showing how to replace the steering wheel.
I have found that Rimmer Bros (UK) are usually the cheapest for this wheel, see here: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-T2R4640PVJ

Old 10-31-2019 | 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, that is the correct one and it should fit with zero problems, there is a thread around here somewhere showing how to replace the steering wheel.
I have found that Rimmer Bros (UK) are usually the cheapest for this wheel, see here: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-T2R4640PVJ
If you make this swap I would be eternally grateful if you could post photos of the electrical connections between car and wheel as you remove the old wheel and again as you refit the new. I desperately want to do this upgrade so I can have heating in the wheel; some people say that the power to the wheel heater element just isn’t present in the cars supplied without heated wheels but the parts catalogs aren’t really backing this up for me. I need to dismantle an F with the heated wheel option really to learn more but I doubt that I will get many volunteers...

Old 10-31-2019 | 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xrix4096
If you make this swap I would be eternally grateful if you could post photos of the electrical connections between car and wheel as you remove the old wheel and again as you refit the new. I desperately want to do this upgrade so I can have heating in the wheel; some people say that the power to the wheel heater element just isn’t present in the cars supplied without heated wheels but the parts catalogs aren’t really backing this up for me. I need to dismantle an F with the heated wheel option really to learn more but I doubt that I will get many volunteers...
Pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe here) that replacing a non-heated steering wheel with a heated one is not just "plug and play", and you at least have to modify the CCF. You would also need a new RHS steering wheel control panel (the on/off switch is in the top left corner of this panel) and you may need the switch itself and maybe some wiring as well.
The heated (plus cruise plus phone) "sports" flat bottomed steering wheel is part # T2R4641PVJ and it also costs about $112 US more than the unheated one.
I have a heated steering wheel and use it maybe twice a year so IMHO it's not worth the expense and hassle upgrading to a heated wheel.
Upgrading to the sports wheel yes, heated no.

Edit - of course a new heated wheel will come with the correct control panel and switch so ignore my blather above about that!

Last edited by OzXFR; 11-01-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2019 | 03:03 AM
Veteran Member

Pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe here) that replacing a non-heated steering wheel with a heated one is not just "plug and play", and you at least have to modify the CCF. You would also need a new RHS steering wheel control panel (the on/off switch is in the top left corner of this panel) and you may need the switch itself and maybe some wiring as well.
The heated (plus cruise plus phone) "sports" flat bottomed steering wheel is part # T2R4641PVJ and it also costs about $112 US more than the unheated one.
I have a heated steering wheel and use it maybe twice a year so IMHO it's not worth the expense and hassle upgrading to a heated wheel.

Edit - of course a new heated wheel will come with the correct control panel and switch so ignore my blather above about that!
I use the wheel heater a lot. Allows me to drive with the windows down most of the winter without having to wear gloves. I turn the heater fan all the way up, of course, and use the bun warmer too.

Old 11-01-2019 | 04:52 AM
|

thx for the confirmation!

Old 11-01-2019 | 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by nkc1989hkjc
thx for the confirmation!

yeah the second hand wheels I’ve seen have the switch and the panel in place as you say, and I’ve seen them for sub $400 now and again so that seems reasonable to me.

The reason I’m so keen to see pictures of what cables are offered by the steering columns of both cars fitted with and without wheel heaters is to determine whether the higher current supply wire (which would need to exist to power the heat element itself) is always fitted to all cars and just not utilised if the heated wheel isn’t specified. If there’s an extra multi plug or similar on heated cars then I’m stuck as I can’t find and parts in the catalogues. The only part numbers I can find that differ between heated and non heated wheels are the wheel itself (which must contain the heater element itself) and the ‘loom’ which looks like the triangle of cable inside the wheel that joins up the buttons, horn etc. Crucially I can find no different parts on the chassis itself.

I’m almost at the stage now where I might just buy a heated wheel and hope it plugs and plays. This will be a really unpopular decision with the wife however if it joins my never ending list of Jag stuff that I’m supposed to be eBaying. If anyone has photos of the connectors offered by heated and non heated versions of cars and wheels it’d make my life safer and I promise I’ll do a definitive write up so this question can go away forever.

finaly I wonder if any of the experts in here know if SDD coding would be required. I’m guessing not since the on off switch is sensibly placed locally on the wheel.

sorry for the dissertation. I take OzXFRs point about varying degrees of usefulness but I live in a much colder place and drive everywhere with the top down unless it’s raining. I also have neuropathy caused by chemotherapy which makes touching cold things feel like a severe electric shock so it’d really make a big difference to my life. I should have stuck out until I found a car that had the option but I felt sure I’d be able to learn to hack these vehicle electronics around like I have on my BMWs an LandCruiser. Unfortunately it seems that those with SDD and related skills aren’t comfortable sharing

Old 11-01-2019 | 07:16 AM

yeah the second hand wheels I’ve seen have the switch and the panel in place as you say, and I’ve seen them for sub $400 now and again so that seems reasonable to me.

The reason I’m so keen to see pictures of what cables are offered by the steering columns of both cars fitted with and without wheel heaters is to determine whether the higher current supply wire (which would need to exist to power the heat element itself) is always fitted to all cars and just not utilised if the heated wheel isn’t specified. If there’s an extra multi plug or similar on heated cars then I’m stuck as I can’t find and parts in the catalogues. The only part numbers I can find that differ between heated and non heated wheels are the wheel itself (which must contain the heater element itself) and the ‘loom’ which looks like the triangle of cable inside the wheel that joins up the buttons, horn etc. Crucially I can find no different parts on the chassis itself.

I’m almost at the stage now where I might just buy a heated wheel and hope it plugs and plays. This will be a really unpopular decision with the wife however if it joins my never ending list of Jag stuff that I’m supposed to be eBaying. If anyone has photos of the connectors offered by heated and non heated versions of cars and wheels it’d make my life safer and I promise I’ll do a definitive write up so this question can go away forever.

finaly I wonder if any of the experts in here know if SDD coding would be required. I’m guessing not since the on off switch is sensibly placed locally on the wheel.

sorry for the dissertation. I take OzXFRs point about varying degrees of usefulness but I live in a much colder place and drive everywhere with the top down unless it’s raining. I also have neuropathy caused by chemotherapy which makes touching cold things feel like a severe electric shock so it’d really make a big difference to my life. I should have stuck out until I found a car that had the option but I felt sure I’d be able to learn to hack these vehicle electronics around like I have on my BMWs an LandCruiser. Unfortunately it seems that those with SDD and related skills aren’t comfortable sharing

Can not confirm 100% on the CCF/SDD but logic says there is no notifications from the car when you turn on the heated steering (dash, info center, etc), and there is no other way (at least in mine without the remote app) to turn on the heated steering other then the actual button on the wheel. ?!? i will look through my CCF file and see if i see it? it would be nice in this instance if it was just a dummy switch on the wheel and is plug and play.

The following users liked this post:
xrix4096 (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019 | 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
Can not confirm 100% on the CCF/SDD but logic says there is no notifications from the car when you turn on the heated steering (dash, info center, etc), and there is no other way (at least in mine without the remote app) to turn on the heated steering other then the actual button on the wheel. ?!? i will look through my CCF file and see if i see it? it would be nice in this instance if it was just a dummy switch on the wheel and is plug and play.
Thank you, that does give me hope.

Old 11-01-2019 | 07:33 AM

Has anyone got a really shabby - not worth much to them but still works for a test - heated f type wheel that they’d like to sell me for a bargain price or even loan while I figure the rest of this project out? Or if someone has a heated wheel but doesn’t care for the heating I have a non heated super mint 15k wheel I could offer as p/x

Old 11-01-2019 | 09:10 AM

I got a 2015 F-Type V6 base, and i would like to change my steering wheel, just wanna know is it the Sports Steering Wheel (T2R4640PVJ) will fit into my car?

Also are there anyone know the parts no. of this silver finishing flat bottom steering wheel? many thanks

Alvin.

I would be interested in the part numbers for the silver trim. My black ones are a big sticky.

Old 11-01-2019 | 09:28 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SS4PK
I would be interested in the part numbers for the silver trim. My black ones are a big sticky.
The silver trim is the one bit of the wheel I don't like - it gets so cold in the winter!

The following users liked this post:
SS4PK (11-02-2019)
Old 11-01-2019 | 12:31 PM
Banned

"F(l)at bottom girls you make the rocking'...." Uh, wrong forum. Sorry

The following 2 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
Mbourne (11-01-2019), RGPV6S (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019 | 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Alvin.

If possible a video of you doing the change would be great , thinking of changing also

Old 11-01-2019 | 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
"F(l)at bottom girls you make the rocking'...." Uh, wrong forum. Sorry
I had exactly the same though when I saw this tread.

Old 11-11-2019 | 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
Thanks, having a look in your CCF would be great if you don't mind. I've taken the plunge today and bought a wheel so after a couple of days delivery and a few hours swearing about how to remove and replace the part I'll be ready to find out. Like you, given the fact that the wheel heat setting doesn't appear to show up elsewhere (menus, HVAC screen, temp dials) does make it seem like a golden opportunity for it to be a simple in-wheel on/off switch so here's hoping.

On the subject of CCF's, while I'm waiting for various things to arrive do you (or anybody else willing to share) have a dump of a CCF file from an F Type that I can examine to see what lies within?

Cheers

Old 11-11-2019 | 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, having a look in your CCF would be great if you don't mind. I've taken the plunge today and bought a wheel so after a couple of days delivery and a few hours swearing about how to remove and replace the part I'll be ready to find out. Like you, given the fact that the wheel heat setting doesn't appear to show up elsewhere (menus, HVAC screen, temp dials) does make it seem like a golden opportunity for it to be a simple in-wheel on/off switch so here's hoping.

On the subject of CCF's, while I'm waiting for various things to arrive do you (or anybody else willing to share) have a dump of a CCF file from an F Type that I can examine to see what lies within?

Cheers
There is no heat setting for the heated steering wheel, it's simply on or off.

Old 11-11-2019 | 03:00 PM
scm
Veteran Member

There is no heat setting for the heated steering wheel, it's simply on or off.
Isn't "on" the heat setting?

Old 11-11-2019 | 07:52 PM

I guess the question is whether the wheel heating shows up at all in SDD. From some screen dumps I’ve seen your get “Installed” or “Not installed” rows for certain functions in SDD and if that’s true for the wheel heater I would guess it means I need to figure out how to enable it. Since the heater doesn’t seem to have any interaction with the rest of the vehicle there seems like a chance that I might get away without.