F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum consensus on exhaust note between years.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forum consensus on exhaust note between years.

Good afternoon everyone,

I, like many others, am interested in the F Type R, and a lot of that interest comes from the exhaust sounds. Of course, when researching this forum, there has been some claims that the exhaust sound is muted on newer F Type R's. Based what I am reading, 2019 Jaguar F Type Rs and newer(MY18 and newer) have muted exhausts from the factory compared to 2015-2018 Jaguar F Type R's. The other consensus is that Jaguar pushed this same/similar update to older F Type R's that muted sounds that that can be fixed by Jaguar reverting the update or VAP tuning adding the burbles back.

With that being said:
  1. If engine noise is the only consideration, does it matter what year you purchase an F Type R if you were to get a VAP tune? (Therefore void your warranty)
  2. Should you only purchase 2015-2018 F-Type R's if you want the original exhaust note and do not want to use the VAP tune and keep your warranty?
  3. How do you determine if the update has been pushed to an older F-Type R if you have never heard the original exhaust note?

Old 03-02-2021, 02:08 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by COFTR
  1. How do you determine if the update has been pushed to an older F-Type R if you have never heard the original exhaust note?
You'll know it when you hear it - it sounds outrageously loud. If you get to drive it, select dynamic mode, get the revs above 4,000 rpm and lift off to hear the pops and crackles.

BTW, I have an MY18 that's had the alleged muting software update applied and it's made no noticeable difference to the sound when driving, if anything it's just a little quieter on initial start (though not at the point of firing up!).

Old 03-02-2021, 02:26 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Just this morning, I dropped my 2017 R at my local Jag dealer for service. I specifically told the service rep that I did not want any updates that would compromise the exhaust sound or mute it in any way. I explained that I had read of such practices at other Jag dealerships from posts on this forum. He looked at me with surprise on his face and claimed that he's never heard of such a thing and that there were no directives from Jaguar to make any adjustments to any F type's exhaust sound volume, levels, or tone. In fact he said, "Why would anyone want to do that to an F type? Its one of its most prized features."
He promised me no such update would be performed on my car today.
I love the deep note of my 2017 R. I think its perfect! Even better, it can also be quite calm, collected, and quiet when desired so as not to appear a huligan all the time.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by scm
You'll know it when you hear it - it sounds outrageously loud. If you get to drive it, select dynamic mode, get the revs above 4,000 rpm and lift off to hear the pops and crackles.

BTW, I have an MY18 that's had the alleged muting software update applied and it's made no noticeable difference to the sound when driving, if anything it's just a little quieter on initial start (though not at the point of firing up!).
Does it not sound loud with the update? I was sort of under the impression that regardless of the update, its loud but before the update it is just louder at lower RPMs (2000-4000)

Old 03-02-2021, 03:09 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Does it not sound loud with the update? I was sort of under the impression that regardless of the update, its loud but before the update it is just louder at lower RPMs (2000-4000)
I haven't noticed mine being any less loud at lower revs. When the valves are open, they're open, just make sure you're in dynamic mode to get them open all the time!

Old 03-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 728 Likes on 501 Posts

I have the original 2014 V8S. I never let them apply the software update that reduced the sound of others cars. It’s beautifully loud, brash, pops and crackles, backfires and snorts whenever I want it to. It’s loud at all Rpms but really takes over 2500.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just picked up my MY21 R today (I'll post my pics later!) and I will say it is like a very quiet cat compared to my MY16 S. Granted I haven't revved it up since it only has 6 miles on it, but the start and regular driving are significantly quieter. I miss the cold start already

Old 03-02-2021, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by ilovemycars
I just picked up my MY21 R today (I'll post my pics later!) and I will say it is like a very quiet cat compared to my MY16 S. Granted I haven't revved it up since it only has 6 miles on it, but the start and regular driving are significantly quieter. I miss the cold start already
Wow, a MY16 six cylinder is louder than a MY21 V8? That is a scary difference...

Old 03-03-2021, 05:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ilovemycars
I've read that the exhaust gets louder as you run it in.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:46 AM
Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I had a 2015 S that was plenty loud including pops when letting off. I took delivery of my 2020 R in the summer of 2019. As my previous F was a 6 cyl it is tough to compare but this is my experience;

Cold start up is plenty loud, can’t imagine it could be louder
Acceleration is loud at any RPM
Over run pops and crackles ? While I don’t have a direct comparison I would say this has been muted. In the S I could easily do it anytime but in the R it is more sensitive to RPM and doesn’t last very long. My guess is the pops were louder in the early years and I would want it back if it was taken away with an update.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Under 3.300 very quiet even in dynamic mode (open valve exhaust), above 3.300 louder than my previous 2017 V6 S AWD, very loud with pop and bangs!

Old 03-03-2021, 09:29 AM
xmo
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

For 2021 F-type, quiet cold start is now the default but you can make it loud cold start when you want. Hit start without putting your foot on the brake pedal, then turn on active exhaust, turn off start-stop, then put your foot on the brake & hit start.

The following 2 users liked this post by xmo:
b21R (04-16-2021), J444G (07-12-2024)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

2014 V8 S Delightfully noisy. Can scare the elderly. First choice for custom plate was LOUD AF. DMV said "no"

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have noticed that my 2020 is quieter than my previous 2014 and 2016, but a lot of that may be that the 2020 is a coupe and the others were convertibles.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Not sure about a comparison between years....But I really like the note on my AWD F-Type R. Then I added VAP 200 Cell Cats/Downpipes...And it changed the whole song!
Very beastly and obnoxious...But still quiet in Grandma mode (under 4K RPMs)... And with the various other tunes and upgrades... when you let off of the pedal it sounds like a huge box of Rice Crispies getting dumped in a giant bowl of Milk! 🧏‍♂️

DC

The following users liked this post:
ferrral (03-03-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:01 PM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

CA is probably a lot tougher on exhaust sound/noise than FL or PA. I know here in PA motorcycles can & do run straight through pipe's.Just about anything goes with cars also. Just go to the cruises here. At one time we weren't even permitted glass packs or tube type headers or tires that were not all covered by fenders, trucks included. Just saying.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Not sure about a comparison between years....But I really like the note on my AWD F-Type R. Then I added VAP 200 Cell Cats/Downpipes...And it changed the whole song!
Very beastly and obnoxious...But still quiet in Grandma mode (under 4K RPMs)... And with the various other tunes and upgrades... when you let off of the pedal it sounds like a huge box of Rice Crispies getting dumped in a giant bowl of Milk! 🧏‍♂️

DC
What year is yours? Will the 200 Cell cats pass emissions? Are they easy to pop on and off?

Old 03-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

What year is yours? Will the 200 Cell cats pass emissions? Are they easy to pop on and off?
Mine is a 2017 R AWD. I would actually be inclined to say NO on the emissions inspection...But we do not have that here in Illinois....The single bright spot in this state

As far as easy on/off. I put together a DIY, and I would say after you get them done once, and have the torque adapter (15mm)... You could get them on and off in about 2 hours total. Thinking about having to jack it up, removing and installing (4) O2 sensors, and the (2) mid-pipe clamps. Not horrible I suppose. Important to use the high temp anti-seize grease on the O2s.

DC

Old 04-08-2021, 02:18 PM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default More on Active Exhaust MY17

Read through the posts and still have a question. I have the SC-V6 Premium with the manual transmission. Car has about 26,000 on it, I am the second owner. Up to date with dealer on services. I completely understand the switch settings with Dynamic and with AE. Is there or not a software update that cancels out the exhaust notes? When I test drove the car, all the crackles and pops were there, I switched it off so I could hear what the car was doing it on the test drive. Got it home (3 hours away) no issues, but before this past fall's storage (Winter in Wisconsin) I noticed no concerto performance, no matter what switches I activated. I switched on Dynamic and drove around, parked and shut the car off. Then came back, Dynamic was still in play (red lighting), but no exhaust as on test drive day. I checked underneath and the vacuum (?) lines to the actuators are in place. I have an appt set at dealer (car is still under warranty) for this coming week. Could it be a defective exhaust system? Anything else I can easily check before then? Not interested in getting any BS, or trying to be sold muffler bearings (and yes, that did happen to me many years ago, unsuccessfully, too)

Old 04-08-2021, 04:41 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Are you saying it crackled and popped before you stored it and it didn't when you took it out of storage?

Quick Reply: Forum consensus on exhaust note between years.