F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum Feeler: Gauging Interest in Longtube Headers and 3" X-pipe for F Type R's

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Question Forum Feeler: Gauging Interest in Longtube Headers and 3" X-pipe for F Type R's

Gentlemen,

In mid Jan we have a gap in our exhaust fabrication schedule, long enough to fit in say a 2016 Jag F Type R for some 1 7/8" longtube headers and 3" X-pipe (which would bolt-up to your existing catback so the Dynamic Exhaust would not be effected). All the power in an exhaust is made up front so we aren't losing much if anything by not going all the way to the tips.

The five most important aspect of LT Header Design are:

1) Primary diameter, 1 7/8” is the proper size based on engine and supercharger displacement, and the rpm limitations of the AJ Series III SC V8s.

2) Primary length, the longer the more torque and HP you make period. We always maximize our designs to account for this.

3) Collector design, our cone/spike merge collectors with calculated diameter neckdown will again be optimized for the specific application.

4) Amount of Primary entering the collector at zero angle, or how much of the primary's are perpendicular to each other before entering the collector.

5) No non-parallel cut and welds. Even a single cheater bend will destroy flow, factor in multiples as you often see from manufacturers using pre-bent 30/45/60/90 degree tubing and kiss your HP and TQ gains goodbye.

We use 100% U.S. Stainless Steel, 316 flanges and merge collectors, and 304 tubing (.065" thickness, not .045" like much of the market), with inert gas backpurged TIG welds to ensure the inside of the welds are as smooth as the outside. We mandrel bend our own tubing for significantly less cut and welds. We offer a Lifetime Warranty on all exhausts, if there are any issues we will remedy them immediately and/or replace anything defective on our dime. These exhausts are built from a quality standpoint to outlast your car.

Our exhausts are 100% bolt-on in design, meaning you can always remove them and go back to stock if you sell the car--then resell the exhaust to another owner to recoup some funds. Exhausts will be available with and without 200cpi metallic substrate catalytic converters that are 49 state legal (CA legality pending) and will pass OBD emissions readiness testing. No check engine light guaranteed with or without catalytic converters.

After studying the OEM exhaust we anticipate gains of at least 30HP, possibly 40HP+. We would of course before/after dyno for results and have a few board members independently verify gains via dyno, track and VBox as well.

I realize there have been a few threads and manufacturers that have attempted to make headers for these engines so far and did not hit their intended HP and TQ goals. We have no doubt we'll make what's quoted above, in addition to lowering EGTs (which never hurts) and EGT related ECU timing pull (as well as cat protection temp ECU timing pull). So what we are asking is, if we can prove the gains how many people would be interested in such a product?

Thank you for your input!

The following 2 users liked this post by VMaxTuning:
Dremorg (12-17-2015), JgaXkr (12-18-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I am interested.....

Old 12-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cbroth1
I am interested.....
Chris,

Thanks for chiming in. One down.

Ultimately we're looking for ten commitments to cover our investment in the near future as this will never be a high volume product. No deposits or funds down required, just the word of those that are serious and will purchase the headers and X pipe if they deliver what we promise.

Thank You!

Bill
VMax

Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My interest depends on the price...

Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by VMaxTuning
Chris,

Thanks for chiming in. One down.

Ultimately we're looking for ten commitments to cover our investment in the near future as this will never be a high volume product. No deposits or funds down required, just the word of those that are serious and will purchase the headers and X pipe if they deliver what we promise.

Thank You!

Bill
VMax
That sounds pretty damn fair.

The following users liked this post:
VMaxTuning (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dcvickers

Understandable and solid point. Ultimately we won't know exact cost until we get the prototype system done, then determine if the headers and X will also fit rwd variants. There's a better chance starting with an AWD variant as far as fitment on a RWD variant than vice versa. We don't skimp on quality in any regard and I don't think anyone would argue this project is best described as a niche product--we would be lucky to sell 25-30 sets in total (LHD only) based on the build numbers and small target demographic. All that said, we think the prices brands like Akrapovic and AWE charge are simply ridiculous. I hesitate to put a number to anything yet due to the above, but we would do a forum GB with significant discount for those interested right off the bat. The GB price (throwing caution to the wind and against my better judgement by posting this before the facts are in) would be around $4500 for either an off-road or catalytic system including the longtubes, lead pipes, X pipe and end reduction pipes to mate to the factory catback; also including all clamps, 02 extensions and new header bolts for installation.

Something else to keep in mind is that boost will drop around 1.5psi due to the less restrictive design. This is not a bad thing as again we are increasing efficiency at both part and WOT, and also eliminating heat which is always a good thing. Next to excessive rpm nothing kills engines faster than heat. Even though boost will drop the mass of air passing through the motor at any given rpm will increase creating the gains in HP and TQ. For those that don't currently run an upper SC pulley swapping to a 60.5mm version will bring you back to OEM boost levels with a requisite additional gain in HP and TQ--EDIT: To clarify these gains would be above and beyond the 30-40HP from the headers and X. For others who already have the smaller upper pulley our lower larger crank pulleys will be available by then as well. The more boost added post exhaust install the greater the gains will be vs the OEM exhaust.

Thank You

Last edited by VMaxTuning; 12-18-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

That sounds pretty damn fair.
Thank you sir! Honestly we are pretty damn excited about the gains we've seen with simple ECU remapping and a slightly smaller upper pulley. We really want to create a full bolt-on package that turns these cars into 130+ trap monsters in the 1/4.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

Thank you sir! Honestly we are pretty damn excited about the gains we've seen with simple ECU remapping and a slightly smaller upper pulley. We really want to create a full bolt-on package that turns these cars into 130+ trap monsters in the 1/4.
Given your above info, I take it that the headers will require the ECU be updated with a new map. If no re-map is done, are there any gains? I would be interested if the package comes in at less than $5k. How would this affect new car warranty?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 355rockit
Given your above info, I take it that the headers will require the ECU be updated with a new map. If no re-map is done, are there any gains? I would be interested if the package comes in at less than $5k. How would this affect new car warranty?

For optimal performance with the exhaust, yes. Plus the gains from ECU tuning alone are massive (please see the ECU tuning thread for stock, ECU only, and ECU + 1.8psi pulley graphs). However, with the 49 state legal EO# catalytic converters we use, you can use the headers and X pipe without ECU tuning if you wish. No check engine light guaranteed.

We will have a ECU + Exhaust + Pulley or any combo thereof sale during the initial GB if we can get to 10 commitments for the exhaust.

As far as the warranty portion of your question, we've made some extensive posts regarding the ECU tuning part of the equation which can be found in jamesjaguar's thread. As far as using the exhaust without ECU tuning, the MM act has you covered. Unless the dealer/manufacturer can prove the headers and/or X pipe can be proven as the direct cause of a part or catastrophic failure (I have never seen this happen in my career) you should have no issues with your warranty whatsoever.

Thank You

Last edited by VMaxTuning; 12-18-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

$9400 for this exhaust that doesn't include headers and makes nowhere near the power or torque we will...Wow:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...st-wow-127326/

Also the crossover is in the rear, it should be as close to the collectors as possible, even Jaguar does this. SMH RME.

Last edited by VMaxTuning; 12-18-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Foosh (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

$9400 for this exhaust that doesn't include headers and makes nowhere near the power or torque we will...Wow:

Yep, that's one crazy expensive noise-maker and nothing else.

If your headers prove successful, that would actually be a beneficial enhancement at half the cost.

VMaxTuning (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Also the crossover is in the rear, it should be as close to the collectors as possible, even Jaguar does this. SMH RME.
I am assuming your claimed gains also include removing the CATS and leave the car not emissions legal right?

Old 12-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I am assuming your claimed gains also include removing the CATS and leave the car not emissions legal right?
Apparently the plan is 49-state legal. See post #9.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Also in for this.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
No sir, that's with our 200cpi 49 state legal (CA legality pending) metallic substrate catalysts in place. Off-Road will make 8-10HP more. We are thinking 30HP minimum from the catted system, 40 minimum from the off-road.

Thank You

Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Also in for this.
Awesome, added to list, thanks Jay!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Foosh
Apparently the plan is 49-state legal. See post #9.
Sorry Foosh missed your response before I replied. Thank you!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:12 PM

In case it wasn't obvious, put me on the list!!!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor

In case it wasn't obvious, put me on the list!!!
You are presently number 1 on said list. Thanks!!

Old 12-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dcvickers
Same here....well...assuming they would work on the RS as well

Quick Reply: Forum Feeler: Gauging Interest in Longtube Headers and 3" X-pipe for F Type R's