F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FREE - carbon fibre rear diffuser + sills (UK collection only)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts
Default FREE - carbon fibre rear diffuser + sills (UK collection only)

I bought these with the aim of installing on my FTR but they were a bit too aggressive for me. I ended up having the OEM "design pack" parts hydro dipped instead which is a bit more subtle.

These are for the V8 variants with the four exhaust tips, not the V6 ones.

I'm offering them free to the first person that confirms they want them, but on the condition that you must fit them to your car and are not simply going to sell them on. You'll need to send me/post online some photos showing them fitted. You also need to be able to collect them in person from my home in Devon, UK, EX16 postcode area. I will not ship them via courier because they will arrive broken. I'm happy to talk you through the installation process using my car as a reference. Note that none of the parts will fit inside an F Type so you will need another vehicle that can take the 1.9m x 40cm x 30cm largest part for the collection. I can deliver within the SW UK as far as Dorset in my XJ if needed, but obviously won't be able to show you how to fit them unless you have your F Type to hand.

The good bit:

They are aftermarket pure CF and epoxy resin moulded parts (not overlaid), and cost around $3k. They are based on the design of the Project 7 CF parts. The sills are not quite as wide as the P7 at the front so you don't need to install the P7 wheel spats to avoid a strange lip poking out. They were never fitted to my vehicle and have been in storage since I got them.

The bad bit:

The diffuser has a few very light handling marks which I will professionally polish out prior to collection (no point while it is still in storage as it is an unwieldy part). I am confident it will be flawless.

One of the sills (the right hand one) has a compression crack along the lower seam on the outward-facing edge. i.e. the visible bit. This was apparently from being dropped when delivered to me by hand, and is why I won't ship them. I can repair this for you by injecting epoxy resin into the part to strengthen it and then abrade/polish the outer edges, but IMO there will always be a small visible delamination chip (about 10mm x 5mm) on the outer edge. I've never repaired a clear coat epoxy before therefore I am not as cofident I can remove that, so I am hesitant to try. To be honest I am being very picky here (I am known to be somewhat of a perfectionist) but I want to make sure I accurately describe them. You shouldn't be able to see it unless you lay on the ground, or are only five inches tall. You can take them as-is if you want to repair the cracked one yourself or hand it to your trusted bodyshop who will deal with that sort of damage all the time.

I don't have any pictures of the sills on my computer but I will get some if requested. The photo below is of a P7 to show the general appearance. They are a cross between the P7 parts and the design pack parts (which are the same wider sills fitted to later model year F Types). There are some photos of the diffuser supplied by the manufacturer below. Click on the thumbnails to see them larger. Please note the OEM lower diffuser and valance are shown as a guide to fitment so you can see how it fits under/behind the OEM diffuser - it's only the cf part I'm offering. If your existing diffuser is the matt plastic one you will probably want to paint it gloss black to match your valance. If your's is colour-coded you will see a stripe.

To fit the diffuser you remove your OEM diffuser (about a dozen bolts accessible by poking your head under the car) and then the cf diffuser bolts to it and it is reattached. You don't need to remove the lower valance from the car as shown in the photos below, only the OEM diffuser needs to come off. A couple of screws at the outer corners into the rear bumper cover hold it firm at the edges because it is wider than the OEM valance. It can be done in under an hour if you take your time, and about 10 minutes once you know what goes where.

To fit the sills you need to remove the OEM ones first, which is quite involved but I can provide the TOPIx instructions. You need to remove the side rocker panels and then unscrew the OEM sills from above, not below. I estimate it will take about 30 minutes per side to do. The cf parts then screw into the bottom of the rocker panel on each side.

If you want to discuss in person PM me with your mobile number or email.

If you just want to take them and put them on eBay you will not get them. You must be an honest F Type owner who will make use of them yourself (or for a friend, but no selling!) Remember you must be able to collect as I will not ship them, and you will need to provide me with a picture of them once installed.

Attached Thumbnails FREE - carbon fibre rear diffuser + sills (UK collection only)-dif1.jpg   FREE - carbon fibre rear diffuser + sills (UK collection only)-dif2.jpg   FREE - carbon fibre rear diffuser + sills (UK collection only)-dif3.jpg   FREE - carbon fibre rear diffuser + sills (UK collection only)-2015-jaguar-f-type-project-7-fender-vent-side-sill-detail-600-001.jpg  

Last edited by xdave; 06-19-2016 at 07:30 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by xdave:
Cambo (06-19-2016), domino_z (03-13-2017), DuhCar (06-21-2016), JimC64 (06-20-2016), schraderade (06-19-2016), Smoke Em (06-19-2016), WayneB (06-26-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

dave I need more info on the hydro dip. Im having issues with my mirror wrap. It simply doesn't stick and I don't want to go with the caps because all the carbon on my car is black carbon and I don't want to mix different looks. Would this be a good solution for me?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Dave, it's too bad you can't ship, as I am looking for an R rear diffuser to use when I find an SVR (titanium) exhaust system to fit to my V6. Hopefully, someone upgrading to the a CF diffuser will be able to pass along the stock one to me.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish I lived in the UK.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

PM'd

Old 06-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

V8FTW above is the first UK owner who contacted me so I am going to offer him first refusal. If he does not want them then it wouldn't hurt to have a second person just in case so please still add your name if you are interested.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
dave I need more info on the hydro dip. Im having issues with my mirror wrap. It simply doesn't stick and I don't want to go with the caps because all the carbon on my car is black carbon and I don't want to mix different looks. Would this be a good solution for me?
I can't comment about longevity yet because I have only just had them done and am waiting for the call to go and collect them. Feedback from others who have hydro dipped external parts seems to suggest that as long as they were correctly primed and have a good clear coat there is no reason to expect any different performance from the finish to any other painted finish.

I'm going to document the fitment to my car so will be able to update that thread after six months, a year, etc, to show how they have faired.

Unhingd, have you thought about using the the SVR diffuser as well or is that too aggressive for you? It will be similarly priced to the normal V8 ones as it is just moulded plastic isn't it? Expect around £400 (which is a rip off for what it is). I think the upper valance bit may need to change as well to change from the V6 to V8 tips. Your best bet if you want the standard V8 parts is a vehicle being broken from a front/side impact. Get the whole bumper cover complete and then swap over the valance and diffuser.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-20-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

I just sent you a PM

Old 06-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Gotta say, this is very generous! Look forward to seeing pictures of the installation of who ever installs this.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave

Unhingd, have you thought about using the the SVR diffuser as well or is that too aggressive for you? It will be similarly priced to the normal V8 ones as it is just moulded plastic isn't it? Expect around £400 (which is a rip off for what it is). I think the upper valance bit may need to change as well to change from the V6 to V8 tips. Your best bet if you want the standard V8 parts is a vehicle being broken from a front/side impact. Get the whole bumper cover complete and then swap over the valance and diffuser.
The SVR valence is absolutely over the top. Thank you for bringing to my attention that the V8 has a 2 piece valence/diffuser. The V6 valence is a single unit. Fortunately the bumper skin cutout for the two cars is identical, so I will not need to change that. I would matte black wrap the 2 valence pieces the way I did my existing valence. (Me believes gloss black looks cheaper than matte on large plastic surfaces).

Old 06-19-2016, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

The V8 has one valance and two diffuser options for black or colour-coded. Jag call the upper part the upper valance and the diffuser the valance panel, but I always call it the diffuser to avoid confusing the two. The V6 as you know only has the upper valance.

Rear diffusers (valance panels) for V8:
Unpainted matt black plastic T2R18628. Sadly stock of the earlier part (T2R9836) which was 1/3rd the price has now been exhausted.
Primer painted T2R16332LML. Half the price of the matt black one above.

Upper valance for V8 (assuming rear parking camera, otherwise increment the part number by 1 to delete):
Gloss black plastic T2R9832. They come with replacement heatshields and fog lamp brackets included in that part no.

The bumper covers are identical between all models to date so you'll have a simple swap (although the entire bumper cover needs to come off to do that).

The fog/reverse lights are different between the V6 and V8. In US markets the base V6 has/had incandescent bulbs for the reversing lamps while all other models and ROW base V6 have LEDs. (I guess for some regulatory reason, although I cannot work out what that could be?) I think the V6S you have has LED reversing lamps, but I may be reading the docs incorrectly. Do you know which you have? I am unsure if you'd need the different light assembly for each side as well or if the only difference between the parts are the bulbs fitted. There is also a VIN break at K22184/5 that is not a supersession but I cannot spot what the change was (it can't be the mounting because the upper valances are the same part for all V6 variants).

I don't yet have access to the SVR parts list to confirm if any of the heatshields, etc, are different, but I wouldn't think they would be changed from the normal V8 variants, and if so the change would likely be insignificant to fit the new exhaust.

Are you swapping for the weight saving, or just for the sound and appearance? Please take pictures/video of before and after.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave

Are you swapping for the weight saving, or just for the sound and appearance? Please take pictures/video of before and after.
For the weight.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Singing Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" right now. Or wish I were in the UK. Very generous offer of you.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Very very generous Dave, kudos to you.
Only in Jaguar land I think, looks like there's loads of non UK owners who would give their arm for this right now.

Hope all goes well Dave
Thanks
Jim

Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

And at least one UK citizen who would give the other arm for the "rest of the car". (I assume you also "got" my Jim Clark reference in your other post; Jim C's great weekend adventure.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

polarisnavyxj, try contacting American Hydrocarbon and talk to Pat, they do excellent work.
C

American Hydrocarbon

Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

XDave, Any progress on the P 7 grille?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

The one I am making for a friend? It is currently painted up and I am still waiting for the camera module to arrive so I can print fabricate a bracket. Once that's done I will update my DIY thread with the final photos and send it over to be installed.

jleuz1 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jleuz1
XDave, Any progress on the P 7 grille?
If you want an OEM P7 grille and surround, PM me and I can tell you how to get them.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

V8FTW came down to me today and we fitted the rear diffuser to his F Type R. The car is a lovely dark blue metalic colour and in the brief moments of sunshine amongst the clouds it came alive with greens and blues. A very nice colour.

Fittment was straight forward, but had the usual fiddly bits requiring three hands and fingers made of steel. We managed to crack along the moulded seam in two small places on the first attempt by mishandling it, but it is only the seam not structural and is easily and cheaply repaired. It really transformed the rear look of his car, and IMO looks better with his body-coloured rear diffuser than the gloss black one in the photos above. It is really hard to describe the car's colour accurately, but the "depth" in it goes with the depth in the carbon fibre weave really, really well. The carbon fibre does not look over-aggressive on the dark colour, but the new shape brings the rear of the car up more than the OEM, without looking like an aftermarket body kit.

He was happy with the result, and I am happy with it going on a car where it will be properly appreciated. Win win!

He was not sure initially if he wanted the sills as well because the car already has the sports pack sills, and decided he didn't want to take those too so I still have them available to whoever wants them. The sills will fit inside a coupe cabin, or I could ship those as they are less of an awkward shape and could be sent in heavy duty cardboard tubes. If I went down that route I would need to get some tubes in before I could send them. Remember there is a crack on the righgt hand sill that again is easily repaired but I lack the expertise to repair the clear coat on that. I would prefer UK-only because of the shipping cost due to the length which places it above most express couriers. Of course you are welcome to come and collect. As it would not be my car, and I am hesitant to start removing body panels from someone else's vehicle, you'll need to do or arrange the fitment of those yourself.

If you are interested please PM me or post below. Remember - just the sills are left. To make it fairer because not everyone will be on here at the same time, if I get more than one expression of interest by midnight GMT on the 1st July, I will order them by date received and use the random.org generator to pick one at random.

Attached Thumbnails FREE - carbon fibre rear diffuser + sills (UK collection only)-diffuser.jpg  
WayneB (06-26-2016)