F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Pads **DONE!**

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Front Brake Pads **DONE!**

2016 F-TYPE base with 17000 miles equipped with the standard 355mm rotors. I recently started getting an occasional squeal when braking. I knew I was due for pads front pads pretty soon.

Not wanting to pay the $200+ for OEM pads, I began exploring my options. There were a few things I wanted to address about the OEM pads:

-Initial bite
-Brake dust
-Thermal conductivity
-Brake pedal modulation

JLR pads are NAO; meaning "Non Abestos Organic" in other words, oragnic, which explains the crazy dusting. Overall, the OEM pads aren't bad..but I've learned and exceeded their limits I know there was some discussion about using ceramics but I was a little weary of their limited thermal capacity.

For $46 dollars shipped, I went with the Centric Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic pads. They are the parent company of StopTech and I've used Centric products successfully in the past so I didn't have any doubts of their performance. Centric Posi-Quiet Premium Semi-Metallic Front Pads part number: 104.17510

Given how messy and overly complicated the front pad job is, I didn't get any decent pictures. You'll need:

-Brake Cleaner
-9MM Torx (WHY THE F*CK IS EVERYTHING TORX)
-Ratchet
-Socket extension
-Brake Grease/Lube
-Flat Head Screw Driver
-Needle nose pliers
-Big channel wrench

Some key observations:
- You'll notice on the outside of the caliper; theres a piece of metal shaped liked a flat "W" with the Jaguar logo. That is a tension "anti-rattle spring" to ensure that the outboard pad doesn't move around. Its an utter pain in the a** to remove and re-install. Using the flat head screwdriver be careful as that will pop off and can go flying in your face

-There are two 9mm TORX bolts that hold the caliper in place. Both of them must be removed to remove the caliper. I suggest a bungee or zipties to hold the caliper out of the way. The caliper weighs a friggin TON.

-The brake pad sensors are only equipped on the left front and right rear. If your sensors haven't tripped yet, then they are reusable. HOWEVER, heat and the elements can make the wiring on the sensors very brittle. Use the needle nose pliers to GENTLY remove the sensor from the pad and install on the new pads.

-The new pads do not come with mounting hardware but you can reuse the original ones. Just make sure its thoroughly cleaned with brake cleaner.

-Lubricate using the brake grease the top and bottom edges of where they slide into pad brackets and install

-I used the channel wrench to gently squeeze the piston back into place.

-Position the caliper back into place.

-Lubricate the caliper bolts/pins with grease and reinstall

-Reinstall wheels lower car and clean up

-Pump the brake pedal a few times to rebuild pressure.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

-The pads come bedded in already but I went through the procedures out of habit
-Initial bite is aggressive
-Pedal feel is very consistent
-Easy to modulate the pedal to a point where you can reach the point right before the ABS kicks in
-No noise! There is a little bit of moan when creeping in traffic on occasion
-Haven't tried super high speeds yet but slowing down from 100mph, the brakes felt confident and consistent
-Given the semi-metallic compound, the thermal capacity should increase reducing brake fade; something I experienced consistently in the canyons on the OEM pads
-I'll know in about a week about dust brake

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 04-13-2017 at 04:54 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
Buckingham (04-13-2017), CaptainHam (04-13-2017), CDSsilver (04-13-2017), DirtyAir (04-13-2017), DJS (04-13-2017), DPelletier (04-13-2017), Greggbhill (04-13-2017), NigelW (04-13-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Great info; Thanks! :-)

Dave

Old 04-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Part numbers ?

Old 04-13-2017, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Part numbers ?
Oops...that might help.

Centric Posi-Quiet Premium Semi-Metallic Front Pads:

Old 04-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

Just curious. It seems like your brake wear was very quick only getting 17K miles. Do you consider yourself an agressive driver?

Also for others out there who changed their brake pads what kind of mileage did you get?

Old 04-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
Just curious. It seems like your brake wear was very quick only getting 17K miles. Do you consider yourself an aggressive driver?

Also for others out there who changed their brake pads what kind of mileage did you get?
Wouldn't consider myself aggressive other than an occasional stint through the canyons. But lots of classic stop and go traffic in Los Angeles.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

From my experience with the XF 355 mm brakes and the F-Type 380 mm brakes, the caliper bolts (really the slide pins) are 9 mm hex, not 9 mm torx.
A 9 mm hex bit is not common but they can be found in eBay etc.
But of course the "base" F-type 355 mm brakes may be different!
I have Centric Posiquiet semi-metallic pads front and rear on both my F-Type and XFR, with about 3,000 miles of use on both, and I agree with the OPs review of them, except for one thing - the "graunch" just as you come to a complete stop is sometimes quite loud/bad, although it varies a fair bit.
As for brake dust, they are still a little dusty but nowhere near as bad as the OEM pads, I would guess about half as much dust.
My old XFS had the 355 mm front brakes and I put Power Stop Z16 ceramic pads on it, best pads I have ever used as far as smoothness, quietness and almost zero brake dust. Maybe not the best "high performance" pads, but I never tracked the XFS so this wasn't a problem for me. However Power Stop don't make ceramic pads for the XFR or the non-base F-Type brakes, if they did I would use them in a flash.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Torque for the caliper bolts?

Old 04-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Oops...that might help.

Centric Posi-Quiet Premium Semi-Metallic Front Pads:

^^^ This part number is for the v6.
For the "R" Performance Front pads 104.17500
For the "R" Performance Rear pads 104.17530

right off the cartons...