F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front of car squashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow. Sorry man, that’s terrible. How did that happen??

Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Holy F***! Sorry to see that happen to you man

Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
They started it with fluids gushing out of it?! This is negligence on top of negligence. You can clearly see the pool of coolant and maybe oil on the floor. Then they drove it.

I'd push for it getting written off. If they try to fix it, insist shell/body gets laser measured, as the entire weight of the car was sitting on the front.
It was not driven after the accident. It was pushed, having it towed today to body shop recommended by British Motors Jaguar

The garage is a Klaus machine and self-operated, so their are no operators, this is how parking works at my apartment. I have attached a youtube link below to show how the garage operates. In front of each parking spot is a little bump stops that informs the "parker" where to stop; however, it appears my bump stop was push too deep into the machine (since my car is low, I have a low profile bump-stop which is about 2" tall), anyways I ended up parking the car a bit too forward and I had no idea. The machine didn't complain at all and everything seemed good, until I returned from work and saw this. I had zero idea this would be the result of parking too far forward, I was not informed this was a possible outcome by the property manager, and I believe the machine should have sufficient sensors to detect an object preventing its safe operation.

Last edited by zmoothg; 01-18-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe there was not some type of sensor in the machine that would have prevented this. Even a residential garage door opener has an IR sensor that stops the door if the beam is broken. Hope your car is able to be saved.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

"I believe the machine should have sufficient sensors to detect an object preventing its safe operation."

As any reasonable person would. Everyone's cheesy home garage door has that functionality, so surely something with enough force to crush a car should have safety sensors.

(Didn't mean to be a parrot - simultaneous posts!!!)

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 01-18-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

Wow...horrible...I would have been cursing every word in the book TWICE!

Here's hoping everything works out in your favor man...really sucks to have to come back to that.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The sum of all fears. Hated looking at this, but couldn't look away either. Your car was one of my personal favorites in the looks department, I am very sorry for your loss

Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had no idea this was a self park scenario....I agree there should be some more sensors of some sort, crazy stuff. I wonder if the garage had you sign anything saying 'We are not liable for damage incurred while parking' or anything crazy like that.

I think it may be a little more interesting in a self-park situation but hope you don't have any issues and can get this resolved without much hassle.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM

This hurts, I am just praying there no frame damage and that its all superficial plug-and-play components.

From what I can see, I'll need in terms of major parts: both headlamps ~$2K/each, front-bumper ~$2.5K, hood ~$2k, radiator and some hoses $1.5K, undertray. Everything under the hood (engine bay) looks untouched from a visual inspection. Once the body shop gets the nose off we will see what's going on in there.

Originally Posted by Abarak
The sum of all fears. Hated looking at this, but couldn't look away either. Your car was one of my personal favorites in the looks department, I am very sorry for your loss
Thanks, I was really happy with how the visuals of the car came together. On a plus, if the car is deemed fixable, its time to get the SVR bumper to complete my final exterior mod.

Last edited by zmoothg; 01-18-2018 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Watched the video. Didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at the end when it said “Park & Smile”. I cried for you.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the bump stop was installed too far forward, that would be the fault of the apartment management right? Insane to believe there aren't any sensors checking for this. Sorry again that this happened, and hope the car is damage is fixable.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Based on what evidence do you know they drove it?

Picture of the car with lights on and a trail of pumped fluid leading to its new parking spot tells me it was driven there. Look at the ground in the 6th picture.

Originally Posted by zmoothg
It was not driven after the accident.
I think it is lucky they didn't also start it, but I'd double-check this unless you were the one extracting it from the lift. The floor looks like you lost all your coolant and maybe even some of the engine oil. If the engine is cold, you have a minute or so of thermal capacity before any danger of overheating.

Last edited by SinF; 01-18-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SinF

Picture of the car with lights on and a trail of pumped fluid leading to its new parking spot tells me it was driven there. Look at the ground in the 6th picture.

I think it is lucky they didn't also start it, but I'd double-check this unless you were the one extracting it from the lift. The floor looks like you lost all your coolant and maybe even some of the engine oil. If the engine is cold, you have a minute or so of thermal capacity before any danger of overheating.
Yes I were there the whole time. They helped me push the car out. They wanted to start it and drive it out, and I was like no way m*fo* are you stupid? The car was powered on to put it into neutral but not started.

This is going to be an interesting case:

(1) The parking company will likely try to claim it was my fault for driving to far forward (passed the bump stop)
(2) I will claim it was a bad design and the garage should have some sort of warning system or fail-safe system. While I was trained how to park my car, but was never told what would happen if I mistakenly parked the car too forward (apparently a squashed car). There are sensors in the back to raise an alarm when the car is too far back, but apparently there are no sensors in the front to let you know when your car is too forward. I personally think this is a design flaw and can lead to property damage and personal injury.

My guess is this is the type of case that either one side assumes fault or something for the courts to handle. Searching for product litigators now in the Bay Area.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

That is a genuine drag and I hope it all works out in the end. Seems in SF you're damned if you do park inside or damned if you don't (vehicle break-ins at all time high).

But, having been in the insurance business for 35+ years now, it seems if you have comp/collision coverage your insurance company should take of the damage and they will in turn go after (subrogate) any recoveries from the garage operator or equipment manufacturer.... that's what they're set up to do.

Last edited by El Gato; 01-18-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Yes, many condolences. Not a happy day. El Gato may be correct in that OP's insurance company may be the one to handle it ( at least in NY). Even if he was some how at fault his insurance will most typically cover it and visciously pursue compensation.

P.S. Can't wait for driverless cars!

Last edited by jaguny; 01-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

You know I was never crazy about the stripes on something other than a Camaro or Chevelle, but yours works.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Thanks, I was really happy with how the visuals of the car came together. On a plus, if the car is deemed fixable, its time to get the SVR bumper to complete my final exterior mod.
I was going to say this in my other post but I thought it was too soon lol.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, you’re taking it well. I just can’t believe no one noticed the the car was almost 2 feet too far forward before the thing started moving up. Good luck and hopefully you’ll get it fixed soon. And yeah, definitely get the SVR bumper.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

With as short as the car is compared with others, I have to suspect this was done on purpose.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh no... I'm terribly sorry to see that.

Quick Reply: Front of car squashed