Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front of car squashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
All the device needs is a physical, soft vertical bar for the vehicle to come up against at the maximum stop point. Say one made of a bendy material or on a spring. Then at the entry have a line which the vehicle must have crossed in order to not be crushed at the entry end.
Simple, cheap and uncomplicated.
Naturally hindsight is always 20-20

The following users liked this post:
sparky fuze (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Naturally hindsight is always 20-20
My point being that there’s no need for complex radio beams or sensors.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
If I was the one who drove it too far forward, yep I would do just that. It is called personal responsibility. If my insurance company wanted to go after Klaus, that is their choice. However, if an employee of the apartment complex or garage owner did it, I would sue the pants off the culprit's employer and end up with a settlement. I did not like Ralph Nader either( I had a 1966 Corvair Corsa back then).

Larry
You are still assuming I drove too far forward which may not be the case.

I am making no claims on government involvement, I will leave that to the law to decide. However, as "intelligent" beings it is only natural that as we learn more about what potentially endangers our survival, that we respond like any other intelligent being and introduce safeguards to protect ourselves and increase the probability of survival. Caveman have been "nannying" themselves before government ever existed.

As a race of "intelligent" beings who want to survive long into the future, I believe it is our responsibility to one another to unsure our survival by preventing preventable injuries when possible.

So yes if every human worked their hardest to put lives and community over profit then no government entity would be needed, because we would self correct. Unfortunately the ugly side of humanity likes to rear itself when greed and power is involved, thus enforcement entities are formed to create laws to insure that we are doing the right thing to offset our ugly side.

I get your point. SELFISHLY I would like LESS government regulations as well. Who doesn't like pure freedom. I wish there were no speed limits or that I could tint my windows however dark I wished. I wish I could use my cellphone on a domestic Chinese flight or even while driving my car. I wish I was free to download unpurchased movies and music or take intellectual property from other companies and copy them in my product without restriction. I wish there were no country borders or visa regulations to enter a country of my choice. I wish jaywalking was legal and that I did not have to go through a security checkpoint when getting on the plane. But that would just be selfish of me, because almost all of these laws are there benefit humanity as a whole. Not saying all laws/regulations passed are "good" laws but I agree trying to do something to better than not trying at all.

Where do we stop? Hopefully that is something we as a society can figure out together.

Last edited by zmoothg; 01-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
ndabunka (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
My point being that there’s no need for complex radio beams or sensors.
Apologies for the mis-alignment as my reply wasn't solely in reply to yours (even though I did just quote your post). It was the entirety of many speculating on how to prevent it in the future. No matter of speculation on "ways to solve" this is going to be of solace to the OP nor are they of any benefit to the Manufacturer of this device as, to date, they have not shown their presence in this forum. Sure, lots of speculation but it's not like that particular vendor is reading any of this

Old 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,993 Likes on 8,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
You have that 100% completely backward. ANY lawyer worth their license would have advised Klaus against saying what it did.

You need to keep your preconceptions under control.
My preconceptions are accurate. True, an ethical lawyer might do that, but I've known of a couple that were not and would (and did) threaten as I noted. Unfortunately, I had to be just an onlooker and could not tell him what I could do..which was to file a complaint against him to the Calif. Board of Attorneys.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Your nomenclature and preconceptions are both inaccurate. There is no such body as "the Calif Board of Attorneys."

Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
You are still assuming I drove too far forward which may not be the case.
Wait, I'm confused... Sincere question. Do you think someone or something else moved the car 2 feet forward? Like, a prank, or ?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Wait, I'm confused... Sincere question. Do you think someone or something else moved the car 2 feet forward? Like, a prank, or ?
Investigation needed.

Another car in my apartment also suffered a horrible fate in my building about 1/2 a year back. His car was parked apparently within the pallet boundaries, the pallet that was lifting his car, then for some reason the pallet started tilting forward, his car slid forward as the weight shifted. Eventually resulting in his car falling completely off the pallet and crashing a full 7-feet down to the ground.

It is very possible the pallet could have tilted resulting in my car sliding forward, resulting in it getting the front-end crushed. I am just happy that my car didn't fall 7-feet to the ground.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Damn nanny state making sure my pilot hasn't been flying consecutively for 39 hours.

Jeeeeezus.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,993 Likes on 8,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Your nomenclature and preconceptions are both inaccurate. There is no such body as "the Calif Board of Attorneys."
You're only half right, I should have stated it's the Calif. Bar Association. I still stand by my "preconceptions" about unethical lawyers based on personal experience.
There are good lawyers and bad lawyers, you should know that.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
You're only half right, I should have stated it's the Calif. Bar Association. I still stand by my "preconceptions" about unethical lawyers based on personal experience.
There are good lawyers and bad lawyers, you should know that.
What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The day after they discover the wreckage of MH370.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,193 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
SHARK BAIT!!! ----- Or A Good Start!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
...Or A Good Start!
There, that's what I was looking for! lol.

(BTW...cheap fun at their expense. I have the utmost respect for most of them. The rest, however,...)

Old 01-24-2018, 04:17 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Investigation needed.

Another car in my apartment also suffered a horrible fate in my building about 1/2 a year back. His car was parked apparently within the pallet boundaries, the pallet that was lifting his car, then for some reason the pallet started tilting forward, his car slid forward as the weight shifted. Eventually resulting in his car falling completely off the pallet and crashing a full 7-feet down to the ground.

It is very possible the pallet could have tilted resulting in my car sliding forward, resulting in it getting the front-end crushed. I am just happy that my car didn't fall 7-feet to the ground.
Sounding very unresponsible to me now. I seem to recall in an earlier post that you drove past the bump stop. Now the pallet could have tilted? Maybe the flux capacitor failed, too?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
SHARK BAIT!!! ----- Or A Good Start!
Sharks won't screw with lawyers, professional courtesy.

89 Jacobra (01-25-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:18 AM
Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a thought, (and I'm sure insurance and the shark bait guys will check this) but any security cameras that would show you pulling in? and roughly how far forward the car was? And ideally was still recording while it was being lifted?

ndabunka (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

im sorry to hear about what happened to your car, it truly is a horrible thing. at first i thought it was a parking attendant, i got excited for you, i was thinking you were already specc'ing the new car they were gunna get you.

I am no attorney, but my wife is, and after absorbing her thinking process, im sure Klaus's lawyers have thought of situations like this in their liability clause to cover their asses. never the less, im sure a good attorney can fight it, and you might even win.

the unfortunate part is, your insurance will go up. i know they say "it wont if its not ur fault"...but i promise you, it magically goes up. A few months ago my wifes car got hit by a bus....and the bus driver admitted 100% it was his fault. and yet somehow my insurance went up a bit. they play it off as "normal increases"

the system itself should not have been released without every possible fail-safe measure. at least, thats what a good product owner SHOULD do. keep fighting the fight and let us know what happens

Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

All governmental discussion aside - my question to the elevator company is - how is it designed to be maintenanced? If there is a LOTO option, that may take care of it, but generally OSHA regulates failsafes and each OSHA auditor can be slightly judicious in how they evaluate or write up a job site. My point is, why is there no mechanical or control around overhang to stop operation? I've been privy to a situation where equipment has failed and killed individual(s). IMO the investigation should be focused on how the machine could continue to operate, say if someone climbed in during its operation?

Edit: oops, like RPGV6S mentioned, people will generally always find a way. I think both parties have a social responsibility to be judicious, so to be honest now it's up to the lawyers to find out about reimbursement.

Last edited by dmchao; 01-24-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Sounding very unresponsible to me now. I seem to recall in an earlier post that you drove past the bump stop. Now the pallet could have tilted? Maybe the flux capacitor failed, too?
You are just trying to be a forum troll now for no reason and some anti-government anarchist. Like I have said repeatedly, I don't know what happened. I was not around when this incident occurred. What is clear is that the car ended up too far forward, but there are various ways this could have occurred. Never claimed to drive pass the bump stop, but it's definitely a potential possiblility. No need for you to be a jerk here. And I rather think of myself as very responsible, whether you agree or not, but I'm not perfect.

The following 3 users liked this post by zmoothg:
89 Jacobra (01-25-2018), MidnghtOwl (01-26-2018), ndabunka (01-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Front of car squashed