Be careful where you park!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:40 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

damn. thats not zsmooth

Old 03-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Good news. What is being done about the auto park gadgetry?

Old 03-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Good news. What is being done about the auto park gadgetry?
The case is ongoing, but since then the building has included double wheel stops which makes it almost impossible to go pass them. This is what should've been done originally, and now a triple quadruple check the cars alignment.

I still hate the shitty parking system

Last edited by zmoothg; 03-24-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

That move hopefully supports your case. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 987 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
After 2 months, a crapload of insurance money, the car is finally back on the road today.[/IMG]
Glad to see it back together. Which shop did the work? Mine was 4 1/2 months in the shop, and it was driveable, but I am not exaggerating when I say I cannot tell the difference between the factory finish and the shop's (for the nit-pickers out there, no, I did not measure paint thickness).

Old 03-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Liz, I am not sure I understand you point, but I expect a shop paint job to exceed factory standards. In the very old days Aston-Martin used to send the New York show cars to Philly to be re-painted because the factory job was so poor. I must admit I have a fondness for Jag paint jobs. My XK8 was Aspen Green, a lovely color, and the F-Type is Iridium Silver which although I don't really care for silver is very nicely executed.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

My point is that your expectation is not met nearly often enough. In ten years of repair shop ownership, I rarely saw repainted sections that were not noticeable, sometimes from considerable distance.

I'm curious which shop did the work and his level of satisfaction. The shops that are certified by JLR to work on the all-aluminum cars are very limited in number, but that front end damage might have been all bolt-on, not requiring bonding/riveting.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Liz, don't take me wrong. I understand that there are a lot of body shops that do minimal quality work, but at the same time, my experience is that if you talk to the local Ferrari dealership or comparable you can find the shop that can exceed factory standards. It may take a little looking and some travel, but there is usually someone around who does artisan quality work.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

We're in agreement. I've just seen too much crap finish work to take it for granted.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Liz, don't take me wrong. I understand that there are a lot of body shops that do minimal quality work, but at the same time, my experience is that if you talk to the local Ferrari dealership or comparable you can find the shop that can exceed factory standards. It may take a little looking and some travel, but there is usually someone around who does artisan quality work.
Concur with this...after the XK8 got hit from behind in late 2016, I looked at several shops. I felt comfortable with one that had quite a few 'exotics' being worked on despite the fact that it was a 'chain' outfit. I figure if they had no fewer than two Maseratis as well as three or four Porsches, they were likely doing decent work.

Contrast that with the UndercoverBoss segment I watched the other night with the CEO from Maaco and the one employee was caught on tape admitting to the various corners being cut and that customers weren't expecting quality work since, well, they went to Maaco...

In the past, I have had shops that turned me away because of the expectations I had of them...

Old 03-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Glad to see it back together. Which shop did the work? Mine was 4 1/2 months in the shop, and it was driveable, but I am not exaggerating when I say I cannot tell the difference between the factory finish and the shop's (for the nit-pickers out there, no, I did not measure paint thickness).
I took the car to AW Collisions in South San Francisco and they did an amazing job. I cannot tell there was any work ever done to my car. The paint job is perfect, the panel fitment is better than from factory, they polished the entire car not an orange peel in sight. All the screws, rivets, tabs all in place. It exceeded my expectations. They are used to working on other exotics so I knew the work would be good.

Everything was perfect except one remaining issues we are going to look at tomorrow. The upper strut bushings or the sway bar might need to be replaced as well to complete the repair. Well keep you up to date.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Excellent. Are you eventually putting the striping back on? It's a great look.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by El Gato
Excellent. Are you eventually putting the striping back on? It's a great look.
Yup but I can't until mid-April. That is when he paint is supposed to be fully cured and finished gassing. Then I'll have the front bumper xpeled and the stripes added back.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

That is horrible...please provide updates

Old 04-15-2018, 01:40 PM

The car is already fixed. All the bumper and hood work was completely but we later found out the suspension was damaged as well during the compression by the parking lift. The car is currently at the local jaguar dealership getting a new suspension system installed. I'm growing impatient and the car needs to be on a truck soon for the Corsa Rally cross country rally in NYC, but before then I need the clear bra reinstalled. I'm running out of time.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:42 PM

Latest photo after the repair.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Z,

So glad to see you're close. Since your first post with pics, I've noticed how you've handled this horrendous situation with incredible dignity and patience. You didn't just "rage at the machine" (which is literal in this case), but hung in like a man to see it through. I know I could learn to take a few more of life's knocks in stride. Hope you make the Rally!!

The following users liked this post:
zmoothg (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MF 007
Hey Z,

So glad to see you're close. Since your first post with pics, I've noticed how you've handled this horrendous situation with incredible dignity and patience. You didn't just "rage at the machine" (which is literal in this case), but hung in like a man to see it through. I know I could learn to take a few more of life's knocks in stride. Hope you make the Rally!!
Yes, its been a challenging situation, but I decided to just focus on reaching a resolution with car, so I can get back to enjoying it, instead of crying over spilled milk. I am still not happy with how the situation went down, but life is life, **** happens. I bought this car to make my life more enjoyable not more difficult so right now I am just hoping the car is fixed in time for me to enjoy the upcoming exotic rally.

The following 2 users liked this post by zmoothg:
MF 007 (04-16-2018), WayneB (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 05:45 AM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
Yes, its been a challenging situation, but I decided to just focus on reaching a resolution with car, so I can get back to enjoying it, instead of crying over spilled milk. I am still not happy with how the situation went down, but life is life, **** happens. I bought this car to make my life more enjoyable not more difficult so right now I am just hoping the car is fixed in time for me to enjoy the upcoming exotic rally.
BRAVO!!

Quick Reply: Front of car squashed