F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front knock from both sides stepping down from curb

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2023, 07:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Front knock from both sides stepping down from curb

Hi lads. I know there are a million threads somewhat similar but didn't find the exact situation.
It's a 2016 V6 F-Type, when I step down the tiny curb outside my house, it "knocks". To me it sounds like it comes from a large metal element, like front springs.
It seems to come from the front end of the car and if you step one with one wheel first, then the other it's more noticeable. If I try to drive out straight so both wheels go down at the same time it's less noticeable or sometimes won't do it at all.
It seems to sound from the side of the wheel that first goes down from the curb into the road (but again, it's sometimes difficult to pinpoint direction of this kind of noises).

I don't notice anything odd driving or noises while driving.

Recently had a service and they "forgot" to check for it after telling them, but they said they didn't find anything odd on the regular inspection of elements (it was in a JLR dealership).
I would say it increased a bit since the inspection so it might be an element they tinker with when replacing filters or some of the other maintenance operations, but not 100% sure ofc. Also got new front tires.

Suggestions highly appreciated, I'm located in the Canary Islands so not a lot of people with know-how about these cars apart from whoever is currently working in the dealership.

Old 11-03-2023, 07:55 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Sounds like a loose cross brace, maybe. Under the hood, the angled braces that go from the top of the shock towers towards the windshield. Torx T50 I believe.

The following users liked this post:
hyper (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 08:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

another possibility is the upper shock/strut bushing. The XK8 has a prevalent issue of these deteriorating. Under normal conditions they are in compression so all you really get is a tilt in the wheel and a worse ride Unload them, and clunk. Replace with polyurethane bushings and upper spring mounts is the XK8 solution.

hyper (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 08:57 AM

So I double checked the cross brace screws and top of the suspension. The only ones that weren't super tight were the smaller ones around the central screw of the front shockers, both sides. I did tighten them a bit in a star pattern just in case. The rest was rock solid.
It might be bushings, the car only has 24k miles ~ but maybe they got old?

Old 11-03-2023, 09:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

salt air can be brutal on parts. I would jack it up to get the wheel off the ground and jerk the tire around to see if you can recreate the noise. This may work or not. The assembly is fairly heavy and you may not be able to overcome gravity. Had that happen on a sway bar end link on a different car. I had to have someone rock the car hard while it was on the ground and I was reaching to various areas to feel for the clunk. There was a LOT more room to do this than our F-types.

hyper (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Might be the sway bar bushings. If replacing, you need the cars wheels NOT HANGING on the lift. The wheels have to be on a roll on lift and then torque them to spec. Or you will hear knocking on small bumps. My dealership screwed up and threw parts at it and my independent figured it out. The first thing the dealership did was replace the sway bar bushing, but they incorrectly torqued them with the wheels hanging on the lift.

hyper (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 03:46 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,494 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I had an issue with the Torx bolts holding the front brake disk shields which unscrewed themselves and started rubbing against the disk. Made a hell of a noise on full lock.

hyper (11-04-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 10:21 AM

A bit of an update. It's possible that those nuts that I did tighten at the top of the front shockers have solved the issue, I went out today and no noise, either going out or coming back, which I find a bit odd, they were not that loose but all of them took like a full turn and a half before they felt tight, so maybe that was it? If I don't comment again that was the fix, in case anybody stumble upon this thread.

The following 4 users liked this post by hyper:
Carbuff2 (11-04-2023), Mbourne (11-05-2023), Polyesterpig (11-11-2023), scm (11-04-2023)