F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Parking Aid Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Parking Aid Question

I picked up my 2018MY R-Dynamic MT last night and have one thing that is just driving me crazy. I just can't seem to figure out the front parking aid. On my M4 I would just push the button, and the graphic would immediately pop up with the front and back sensors indicating how close you were to objects. So far last night and this morning I seem to get a different response every time I push the parking aid button. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes the graphic of the car pops up properly, sometimes nothing seems to happen but I can hear the beeping of the sensors. I'm pretty sure this is user error, but is there any way to make this system act consistently?

Other than that I absolutely love this car!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you're hitting the parking aid on/off button next to the radio and seeing different results than expected, correct?

The parking aid on these cars only activate under a certain speed and I've really found no reason to ever turn it off. It's very unintrusive. I assume you're getting a different response each time because you're either close enough to an option to prompt the pop up or you need to move closer/more slowly before activating the system.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Hmm.

This is how it behaves in my '16 S manual:

If you put the car in reverse, the front/rear parking aid is automatically turned on. Front parking aid stays on for some time after you're in reverse.

When pulling into a space in a parking lot, I always have to press the park aid button to the left of the infotainment screen. when it beeps solid, I stop pulling in.

Does that make sense?

Old 06-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. jfranks - when you are pulling up to a parking spot and press the button, does all of the info immediately appear on the nav screen? Or, are you saying you pop it into reverse first and then pull in?

Thanks again,

Kent

Old 06-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

When pulling into a parking space, it's best to turn on the sensor a bit early thereby giving the screen time to come up. Mine displays a graphic of the car and 3 colors (I think) for each sensor responding.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:11 PM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KentInCalgary
when you are pulling up to a parking spot and press the button, does all of the info immediately appear on the nav screen? Or, are you saying you pop it into reverse first and then pull in
I press the button. A moment later, the parking system is live and yelling at me not to hit the curb.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I posted about this same issue I am having with my new 2017 XF S with InControl Touch Pro. I believe your 2018 F-Type should also have the InControl Touch Pro, correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-issue-182565/

Sometimes mine works perfectly and other times it doesn’t, using the same steps achieving different results. I will have my dealer check it out and I am sure it is a software issue. Our Mercedes automatically activates all the parking sensors at low speeds, which is the way this system should work in my opinion.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have experienced the same erratic behavior with the sensors in my 2016 S. When pressing the button it takes some time for the sensors to activate making relying upon them unwise. Frequently I will get the warning tones but no graphic. It seems more reliable if put in reverse than using the manual engagement button but that is not always practical to do.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately this is now the norm with the later cars that use the "In control touch pro" system first fitted to the F-Pace. I have this option on my F-Pace and the front parking sensors operate intermittently.

On the F Pace the amber light on the touch screen flashes if the front sensors are not working and stay on if all is OK. I have found a work around either engage reverse or neutral and they always operate correctly.

I understand that Jaguar are working on a software update, they have resolved nearly all the original glitches with the ICTP sysyem.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:05 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome & congratulations Kent! Sorry about you troubles. And thanks jfranks. I thought there might be something wrong with mine, it always goes on in reverse but I have to turn it on by pushing the button when pulling forward into a space. That is the way it normally operates? I was also thinking that it should automatically come on...

Old 06-03-2017, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Misujerr
Welcome & congratulations Kent! Sorry about you troubles. And thanks jfranks. I thought there might be something wrong with mine, it always goes on in reverse but I have to turn it on by pushing the button when pulling forward into a space. That is the way it normally operates? I was also thinking that it should automatically come on...
Yep, that's the way it is meant to work.
Otherwise, think what would happen in stop/go traffic.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Misujerr (06-03-2017), TR64ever (06-04-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 03:43 AM

Oh yeah, good point... Well... it should just... know! LOL...

Old 06-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

... it always goes on in reverse but I have to turn it on by pushing the button when pulling forward into a space. That is the way it normally operates?
Yes.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

+1
Parking aid system is a bit slow to boot-up.
Always have to push the console button to start the system in forward.
Comes up automatically when you select reverse: sounds active first, then the screen after a bit of a delay.
The rear traffic sensors are a godsend since the rear quarter visibility is so poor.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, good point... Well... it should just... know! LOL...
I agree!! It knows so much else. Can't it tell I'm home and in the garage? Seriously, I've had my F-Type for 3 months and I just love the dang thing!!!!!

It's in the garage now, might just go check to see if it's okay.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfranks
Hmm.

This is how it behaves in my '16 S manual:

If you put the car in reverse, the front/rear parking aid is automatically turned on. Front parking aid stays on for some time after you're in reverse.

When pulling into a space in a parking lot, I always have to press the park aid button to the left of the infotainment screen. when it beeps solid, I stop pulling in.

Does that make sense?
+1

Old 06-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Front parking aid on my car is very slow to react. It takes about 15 seconds for it to come up after I press the button. No idea why, but this makes it useless in most circumstances.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (06-06-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MF 007
Can't it tell I'm home and in the garage?
A Tesla does

Glad that you are enjoying!

The following users liked this post:
MF 007 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Not sure how Mercedes does it but the 360 degree parking sensors activate when pulling into my garage automatically (no button to push) and does not activate in slow moving traffic. This is how the system should work.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
I posted about this same issue I am having with my new 2017 XF S with InControl Touch Pro. I believe your 2018 F-Type should also have the InControl Touch Pro, correct me if I am wrong.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-issue-182565/

Sometimes mine works perfectly and other times it doesn’t, using the same steps achieving different results. I will have my dealer check it out and I am sure it is a software issue. Our Mercedes automatically activates all the parking sensors at low speeds, which is the way this system should work in my opinion.
Hi everyone, I have been following this forum for about 6 months (as soon as I got the car actually) and I am experiencing the same problem.

@jmfan, did you get that fixed? I am experiencing the same problem on my F-Type, sometimes sensors work perfectly, sometime I get the sound but no graphics on the display and from time to time I get a continuous beep with light flashing + a message on the display saying sensors are not working and I should check with the dealer. It seems to me to be a software issue but just wanted to make sure.