Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front parking assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Front parking assist

Hello all,

I have parking assist on my car, with the guide lines on the camera at the back and proximity tones all around. But I saw somewhere that there should also be graphics with proximity at the front. Not camera, but proximity graphics. Was that a special option?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2018, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes on my 2016 Premium, when the front parking sensors alarm there is a graphic in the main infotainment display showing which sensor(s) are firing...you may need to press the P>>> button on the infotainment to enable it, I forget...

Old 08-26-2018, 04:29 PM

Thanks, I will try that. I do hear the the beeps, but no graphics. Maybe it's something that started in 2016

Old 08-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I get graphics (coloured lines/blocks) as well as beeps on my MY2014.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:27 PM

Thanks guys, I found them.
When coming from reverse, I have to press on the Parking assist button to switch the screen.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Thanks guys, I found them.
When coming from reverse, I have to press on the Parking assist button to switch the screen.
On my MY16, the front sensors (sound & graphics) are both automatically activated when shifting from reverse into first. The only time I need to push the P-Assist button is when I am approaching something without having first been in reverse. The sound for the front sensors is never available without the graphics unless I'm in reverse.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
On my MY16, the front sensors (sound & graphics) are both automatically activated when shifting from reverse into first. The only time I need to push the P-Assist button is when I am approaching something without having first been in reverse. The sound for the front sensors is never available without the graphics unless I'm in reverse.
+1 for both my previous MY16 and my MY18

Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

iv always used the beeps, didn't know it had the indicators? so i press the park assist button to change this while its in reverse?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the inputs guys. This must have changed with the new info center in 2016
On mine, while in reverse the rear camera and park assist come on automatically. If I shift to 1st, the rear camera stays on, but I do get the beeps if/when I near something. If I want to see the graphic and the bands, I actually have to press the park assist button twice. The first press turns off park assist, the second press brings on the graphics.
Not sure if mine is weird or it's suppose to work like that. But in any event, those graphics are nice, helpful and quite precise. Sensors on these cars are quite impressive.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Thanks for the inputs guys. This must have changed with the new info center in 2016
On mine, while in reverse the rear camera and park assist come on automatically. If I shift to 1st, the rear camera stays on, but I do get the beeps if/when I near something. If I want to see the graphic and the bands, I actually have to press the park assist button twice. The first press turns off park assist, the second press brings on the graphics.
Not sure if mine is weird or it's suppose to work like that. But in any event, those graphics are nice, helpful and quite precise. Sensors on these cars are quite impressive.
I have a MY15 and it works just like yours.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Arne
I have a MY15 and it works just like yours.
Thanks for confirming.
Strangely enough, I spoke to a few that didn't even know that those graphics existed.

Also good to note that if you near something while driving forward, you only have to press the park assist once to get the graphics.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:24 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
To my knowledge, reverse doesn't need to be used first to activate the front sensors, at least not on mine (build 2015, MY16).

Example - if I take mine out for a drive, I reverse it out of the garage, next turn the car around, then stop and get out to close the garage (if driving alone). To reach the street I need to pass a narrow alley in between two houses. From the moment I reach the narrow alley at slow speed, the sensors are activated, and I get the graphics this without manually activating the system (the "P" button not illuminated prior to reaching the alley).

If I come home, I need to drive through that very same alley of course, but then the system is not automatically activated. On the other hand, after coming to a stop in front of the garage, and getting out to open the garage door, from the moment on I get back in and slowly enter the garage, the front sensors again will be automatically activated,graphics included.

Thinking about it, it could be related to the use of the electronic parking brake - need to double check. Anyways, in both above cases, reverse is not used prior to the sensors getting automatically activated.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by KVO
To my knowledge, reverse doesn't need to be used first to activate the front sensors, at least not on mine (build 2015, MY16).

Example - if I take mine out for a drive, I reverse it out of the garage, next turn the car around, then stop and get out to close the garage (if driving alone). To reach the street I need to pass a narrow alley in between two houses. From the moment I reach the narrow alley at slow speed, the sensors are activated, and I get the graphics this without manually activating the system (the "P" button not illuminated prior to reaching the alley).

If I come home, I need to drive through that very same alley of course, but then the system is not automatically activated. On the other hand, after coming to a stop in front of the garage, and getting out to open the garage door, from the moment on I get back in and slowly enter the garage, the front sensors again will be automatically activated,graphics included.

Thinking about it, it could be related to the use of the electronic parking brake - need to double check. Anyways, in both above cases, reverse is not used prior to the sensors getting automatically activated.
Mine works like yours, except if I reverse first, then drive forward toward an obstacle, the screen does not automatically change from the rear camera to the front graphics.
You might be right, the parking brake might have something to do with it.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KVO

I think you hit on it. The front sensors only come on automatically immediately after the car has been in reverse or has had the eBrake applied. Otherwise the button has to be pressed if the car has been moving forward for a while.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:38 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

I was thinking that after the car was in reverse, the front parking sensors stay on till xx mph?

Old 08-30-2018, 01:13 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The user manual is a bit confusing, but my understanding is when manually activated, the front sensors stay active - unless manually deactivated again - up to 10mph/16kmu.
The manual does not reflect my own experiences though...

Old 08-30-2018, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I was thinking that after the car was in reverse, the front parking sensors stay on till xx mph?
That is the case on my car. (~10mph)