Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Window Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front and Rear Window Repair

Got my 2014 F-Type last week.

Thanks to really poorly executed road work, my front windshield already has more chips in it than my last car did in my first five-ish years of ownership. Sure each of these chips is about the size of a gnat or smaller, but I want them gone. (I was already going to be getting paint correction in the near future so the three new paint chips in the hood don't bother me too much.)

Also this morning, in removing the first temporary paper tag I was given to use until my real plate comes in, the adhesive on the tag tore away some of the metal for the rear window defroster lines. Those at home line repair kits are messy and tend to use metals that look a different color when dry.

Are these things a Jaguar dealership will: A) fix; or B) just say I should get new windshields? If it can be expected that the dealerships near me will insist on full windshield replacement, does anybody know of any good glass shops in the south Florida area?

Related question, other than a dealer what shops are good applying some of the various nano-coatings to seal and protect my paint with?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

If the dealer installed the temporary tag they will likely fix it. If you put it on or someone else , what did they use to adhere it? Answer may dictate dealers attitude to fix. The windshield can likely be repaired and may not need replacement. Doubtful the dealer would cover that unless they want to go out of their way for a new customer.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought the car from an out-of-state, non-jaguar dealer. It was shipped by the dealer and the driver placed the tag.

I'm willing to pay for the fix; it's just a few lines of metal rich paint, carefully applied with a stencil. But if at all possible I'd like to avoid the sales pitch for new windshields (front and rear) that I know some dealer service shops fixate on.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Depending on your location you may be able to get the windshield repair done by one of those mobile service auto glass companies at your house.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Depending on your location you may be able to get the windshield repair done by one of those mobile service auto glass companies at your house.
I had reasonable luck with the mobile services for repair, except when the replacement was required. In those cases, the mobile service was also good. See who your insurance company uses.