F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front tag bracket removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 02:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front tag bracket removal

I just bought an R Coupe that had a front plate bracket. I did a search and what I found said that you could use a pair of pliers to reverse the bolt and eventually get it to back out enough to swing the wing nut free of the grill.

This is not the best way!

I don't know if anyone else has posted this before but I found a much better way.

If you own a Dremel or any other small rotary tool just cut a slot in the exposed end of the bolt and back it out with a small flathead screwdriver.

The bracket with the scratches was me trying to back it out with pliers. 5 min of work and I still didn't have the bracket free of the grill.

With the Dremel it was maybe 1 minute to remove both brackets and I could also re-install them if I ever needed.

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 08:33 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

What year is that? I recently got a 2018 and they told me they just screw the plastic front bracket directly into the bumper. There was no bracket like that. Of course, I didn't let them do that, if/when I have to put in on I'll mount it without damaging the bumper,

Old 10-08-2021, 09:30 PM

It's a 2021, so it does not have the bar across the grill.

The bracket attaches to the grill and the tag mount attaches to the bracket.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:49 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

The first thing I did when I got home in my new 2021 was disconnect the plug for the engine start/stop function. The second thing was to remove the front plate and brackets.

I had read some previous posts about removing it and was going to use my Dremel tool to slot the end of the protruding bolts but didn't have the proper cutoff wheel in my accessories. I ended up using a set of vice grips to turn the bolts back in as far as possible which got the brackets pretty loose on the grille. The T shaped bar on the back side on the bolts that tightens up to hold the brackets in place is just plastic so I used a big flat blade screwdriver to push against it and flexed the part enough that it was able to turn and then allow the bracket to release.

Slotting the ends of the bolts as McPhaul did is the optimum way as it will allow reinstallation should you ever wish to attach the brackets and plate again. The old vice grips method was more destructive and once I got the damn things off I threw them in the trash. I guess I could use a Sto N Sho bracket if I needed a front plate. The Jaguar parts were installed from the rear of the grille before the car was assembled and sure weren't designed for easy removal.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
The first thing I did when I got home in my new 2021 was disconnect the plug for the engine start/stop function.
I haven't found how to do this. Please explain.

And, does bypassing that feature do anything to the warranty? Will the dealer balk at repairs?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2021, 10:47 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by McPhaul
It's a 2021, so it does not have the bar across the grill.

The bracket attaches to the grill and the tag mount attaches to the bracket.
That explains it.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:16 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by McPhaul
I haven't found how to do this. Please explain.

And, does bypassing that feature do anything to the warranty? Will the dealer balk at repairs?

Thanks
Here is a good tutorial on (temporarily) disabling the start/stop feature. It's should have no effect upon the warranty and if you are concerned what the dealer may think it only takes a few seconds to plug the connector back in before you take it in for service.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Eco Start Stop Disable DIY.pdf (607.1 KB, 38 views)
The following users liked this post:
McPhaul (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Here is a good tutorial on (temporarily) disabling the start/stop feature. It's should have no effect upon the warranty and if you are concerned what the dealer may think it only takes a few seconds to plug the connector back in before you take it in for service.

Perfect, Thanks