F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the FType Base model good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013 | 11:59 PM
|
Default Is the FType Base model good enough?

What do you think of F type Base model 3.0 V6? it is good enough or I should get the S model at least?

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:29 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Hey, everyone has different needs. For me it's all about performance in a sports or GT car. I sold my 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible at 5,000 miles because it lacked performance. I simply would never driver it with an XKR parked along side of it. I would always go for the XKR coupe even on nice sunny days. The G37 was too much of a girly car as my friends would say. Get as much performance as you can. My F-type choice is the V8 or anything with over 500 hp. I just can't go back to the lawn mower engine again.

Old 10-17-2013 | 07:41 AM

I have the Base F-Type because after driving all three levels, I felt that it fitted me the best. I have the same great looks and almost same handling as the S with a savings of almost $11,000 that I could spend on "goodies" Also the car has more than enough power for me. That said, it really depends on what your want to spend your money on, and where you live, can you really use the better handling and power of the S.

The V-8 S is really almost a different car, with added body skirts and a LOT more power. I really don't like the added skirts and since I have nowhere to drive at 180 mph and I didn't want to have stop ever 10 minutes for gas. I had one for a week while waiting for my base to be shipped here and I really didn't enjoy is as much as my base.

So it really is up to what you want from the car. Just make sure that you don't regret the choice you make, so get the best fit for YOU and not what someone else thinks.

Old 10-17-2013 | 08:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Living in the Northeast, I thought the V6S would be a better choice, as some of our roads aren't so great with potholes, frost heaves etc. But I've found that the ride is very nice in dynamic mode - tight but not harsh over most bumps. I also like the tighter steering of dynamic mode, but I leave it in normal mode for long highway cruises. I also liked the idea of the limited-slip diff.

I suspect you'd be happy with the base. I had planned on getting the base, until the dealer told me the base model would take a few months longer to get than a V6S/V8S. (This was back in March/April.) I'm very happy with the V6S and don't regret for a second spending the extra money on it.

Old 10-17-2013 | 08:41 AM

If you aren't used to more power, then the base is fantastic.

The trick is to avoid looking at videos and DO NOT TEST DRIVE anything else.

Because the real problem is, while the base is "enough" - once you get the feel of the others, you will probably want them.

Old 10-17-2013 | 04:21 PM
|

Originally Posted by DGL
Hey, everyone has different needs. For me it's all about performance in a sports or GT car. I sold my 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible at 5,000 miles because it lacked performance. I simply would never driver it with an XKR parked along side of it. I would always go for the XKR coupe even on nice sunny days. The G37 was too much of a girly car as my friends would say. Get as much performance as you can. My F-type choice is the V8 or anything with over 500 hp. I just can't go back to the lawn mower engine again.
Thanks for all the replied I am totally agree with you DGL for the 500+hp, i enjoy every moment in my F10 M5 but just don't want to spend too much for the weekend car, that's why i am thinking between the Base and V6s. One last question, is the sound of the exhaust different in base and V6s? thanks again for all the input.

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:02 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Yes, unless you add the optional active sport exhaust.

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:08 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sr2003
Thanks for all the replied I am totally agree with you DGL for the 500+hp, i enjoy every moment in my F10 M5 but just don't want to spend too much for the weekend car, that's why i am thinking between the Base and V6s. One last question, is the sound of the exhaust different in base and V6s? thanks again for all the input.
I test drove the V8S and liked it. I hear the V6S has more of an F1 sound exotic sound. I'm not sure about the base model. The base model has not of the performance enhancements for handling, braking etc. You need to test drive both cars for an hour each in secession and go back and forth. You don't want get a base model to find out a month later you wish you would have got the S.

Old 10-17-2013 | 06:46 PM

Since the base and S have the same motor they sound the same. The S comes with the Switchable Active Exhaust while it is a $1,500 option on the base. The reason I choses the Base over the V6 S was it was able to purchase it with Premium Pack, HD Radio with Sirius, Leather Seats, Top of line sound system, Switchable Exhaust and the Vision pack and the sticker price was still below a V6 S without any options.

But as others have said, you need to drive both and make up your mind on your own.

Old 10-17-2013 | 09:12 PM
|

Thanks a lot for the replied. i will go test drive this weekend