Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel additive recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
No. It's not a 'deal' of any proportion beyond the 3% fuel consumption increase.
Buying 85 octane and trying to boost it to 91 octane would cost a fortune. Those off the shelf cans increase the octane level at only .1 per bottle.
You'll gain nothing by using grades higher than the Jag recommended 91 octane.
+1.

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Ethanol is fine in these engines. The engine was absolutely, positively, one billion percent designed with those fuels in mind. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know a thing about OEM engine development.
+1.

Originally Posted by Shredder
So you discount additives like "race gas", Torco accelerator, and Royal Purple Max-boost. I can tell you there are a lot of not great gas options. Living in Colorado it is very hard to find 91 octane with no ethanol gas and forget 93 octane. So for me I have 3 options.
1. buy premium with ethanol
2. Buy 85 octane without ethanol(12 minutes drive out of the way)and add one of the above.
3. Buy 91 octain with no ethanol is about 15 minute drive.

Price goes up a fair amount as you move down that list. So opinions on what is best and is ethanol gas that big of a deal to these engines?
Thanks
At Colorado altitudes you need at least 2 less octane points to prevent damaging knock because of the atmospheric pressure (your power is also down). Fuel system materials are now designed with ethanol in mind (NOT METHANOL), but given it's lower specific heat content, you don't get the same fuel economy as with a straight petroleum based fuel. The days of tetra ethyl lead fuel additives are gone. Today's octane enhancers will not exponentially increase octane but do so pretty much on a linear basis. That means you'd have to add 4 gal of 100 NL racing fuel to every 10 gal tank of fuel to get from 85 to 91 octane. Even a super high octane additive will have no more than about 120 octane and would take a full gallon to raise the octane 3 points when added to 9 gallons of 90 octane fuel.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-08-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone! Good info!

Old 02-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Yep, I'm with Stohlen and Unhinged. ....it can't be stressed enough that the canned octane boosters are a complete waste of time and money.

While ethanol is fine is regular use in our cars, it does degrade more quickly than non ethanol fuel and since my car sits for up to 6 months at a time and I'm lucky enough to have several sources available, I use either Chevron 94 non ethanol or Shell 91 V Power non ethanol. YMMV

Dave

Old 02-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier

While ethanol is fine is regular use in our cars, it does degrade more quickly than non ethanol fuel
This is only a factor with 'vented' fuel systems (boats, garden tools, some motorcycles or pre-1970 cars). Modern cars have sealed systems eliminating direct exposure of the fuel to air. Degradation of ethanol fuels under such conditions is similar to non-ethanol.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Modern cars have sealed systems eliminating direct exposure of the fuel to air. Degradation of ethanol fuels under such conditions is similar to non-ethanol.
This is 100% false statement.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

This is only a factor with 'vented' fuel systems (boats, garden tools, some motorcycles or pre-1970 cars). Modern cars have sealed systems eliminating direct exposure of the fuel to air. Degradation of ethanol fuels under such conditions is similar to non-ethanol.
We've been over this; short answer is that I don't believe you. Even "sealed" systems still have air in them ....and even if I was wrong, you can't give me even ONE advantage to running ethanol contaminated fuel.....ergo, I'll continue with my non-ethanol choices.

Dave

Old 02-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
We've been over this; short answer is that I don't believe you. Even "sealed" systems still have air in them ....and even if I was wrong, you can't give me even ONE advantage to running ethanol contaminated fuel.....ergo, I'll continue with my non-ethanol choices.

Dave
You're right- there is no advantage, but not everybody has access to ethanol free fuel. My comments were to avoid setting off a panic about storing modern cars with E10, as per common internet myth.

The amount of air in the tank has a finite amount of moisture in it, I'm sure you'll agree. That moisture will be absorbed over a period of time and suspended in a harmless manner by the ethanol in the fuel.

Not sure if that's not a better situation than the same amount of moisture remaining suspended in the air space above the fuel when using pure gas.

If the gas tank was vented directly to the atmosphere, then you'd be right to avoid E10 during storage. I drain the tanks of my gas powered vehicles/tools etc. that are so equipped.