Fuel Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Default Fuel Capacity

Well...

Did a 900 mile drive on Fri. Was stunned that I was able to do the final 450 (roughly) miles on one tank - 27 reported MPG, and it said I had about 40 miles 'til empty.

On my Mercury, when it says I have 0 miles to empty, I still have a 1-2 gallon reserve.

The manual for the F-type says fuel capacity: 18.5 gallons.

Today I filled it up. It took 18.51 gallons.

:sweat:

Did have a very nice romp across southern VT and a bit of upstate NY before getting on the NY Thruway.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Good to have you back Stan.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-02-2016 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Ok...Dave has thrown down the gauntlet...18.51 gallons. Who can best that one? (and we want complete details if you run out of gas in a particularly inconvenient place).

Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I'm scratching my head. Either the 40 miles remaining, or the 18.5 gallon capacity is in error.

Mbourne (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

That's way off from anything I've experienced. The most I ever added was 16.524. It seems that whenever I start getting low fuel warnings, I end up adding 16+ gallons.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I'm scratching my head. Either the 40 miles remaining, or the 18.5 gallon capacity is in error.
Almost too bad that we have electronic gauges, we can't "go past the slash"!

Most I've put in was 17.6 gals and I was a nervous wreck looking for a station. Even turned off the air and went into tame kitty mode to seek out a filler up.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Well I can concur that if the dash says 40 miles....

you can get at least 43 miles. Ask me how I know this.

I'll tell you anyways. I drove exactly 3 miles more than I was told I could before hitting the station.

Know you have at LEAST a 3 mile cushion. Can I get a 4 from anyone?

Old 07-04-2016, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I don't know how our fuel system is configured, but on previous vehicles you can damage the pump that moves the fuel out of the tank by sucking air and gunky stuff from bottom of tank, or at least that's what the mechanic told my wife when she did this on her last vehicle.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I don't know how our fuel system is configured, but on previous vehicles you can damage the pump that moves the fuel out of the tank by sucking air and gunky stuff from bottom of tank, or at least that's what the mechanic told my wife when she did this on her last vehicle.
The fuel pickup tube is mounted at a fixed height very near the bottom of the tank. Any gunk in the tank is just as likely to get sucked into the tube when full as when empty. The danger in running dry, is that the pump will cavitate (making a high frequency growling sound) if it gets insufficient fuel. Cavitation is the process of collapsing voids that implode near to a metal surface causing cyclic stress through repeated implosion. Don't worry about what that means, but it's as bad as it sounds. It can destroy a pump fairly quickly if the pump vane tolerances are extremely tight..

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-04-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Cavitation is the process of collapsing voids that implode near to a metal surface causing cyclic stress through repeated implosion.
Jesus H. Christ. The brains on this Forum is incredible! U, if you don't mind, the next time I'm at a cocktail party, standing next to a beautiful woman, I'm gonna use that line if you don't mind! Priceless.

Uncle Fishbits (07-07-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Jesus H. Christ. The brains on this Forum is incredible! U, if you don't mind, the next time I'm at a cocktail party, standing next to a beautiful woman, I'm gonna use that line if you don't mind! Priceless.
You do and she is likely to have you arrested.

Uncle Fishbits (07-07-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
You do and she is likely to have you arrested.
Why? Liz hasn't yet!

Mbourne (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

I certainly never impressed a woman with my looks. I had to fall back on something!
(BTW, that particular line won't get you very far)

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-04-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Okay... this is one of "those" posts....... a bit all over but fun.

I was just saying to someone that the internet has made us Matrix-like superheroes with the ability to have an ESP and real time upload of information.

I appreciate Kurzweil's optimism (Singularity is Near, Transcendent Man), tho a wee bit too much for me. However, when you look at collectives like Anonymous, they're literally a de-centralized superconsciousness, a flock of birds that will randomly go any direction, some peeling off from the group, then joining again, etc. It's amazing. Constant data collection and real time sharing of everything.

The internet is changing humanity, and people think it's about facebook. Most of the internet happens on forums like this, and it truly democratizes information. In this respect... think of that "clutch satisfaction" thread. We never would have *EVER* gotten it fixed without Lance. Now go back and think of the 70's/80's, and a non-car person (me), or women getting taken advantage of by a mechanic. We had no idea what to say, or what the car was doing, etc. Now she can walk in, and say "cavitation is the process...." =)

I'm fascinated by the transcendence of our human condition.

Pacemakers make us bionic. Prosthetics make us bionic, or transcend humanity partially. We’re already there with medical sciences.

Crispr, frankly, is the largest leap in a long, long time. They’re halting MS (if you haven’t read about this, it is mind blowing), etc. Huntington’s. Cancer. Re-editing genes. Whatever goes now. It’s insane.
Easy DNA Editing Will Remake the World. Buckle Up. | WIRED

related:

This is one of my favorite articles too:
Racing on Carbon Fiber Legs: How Abled Should We Be?

How able bodied should we be?, by Aimee Mullins. Racing on carbon fibre legs was “charming” and a great human interest story, until she started winning. Then it was cheating. To think people thought she was an inspiration *UNTIL* she started beating other athletes and everyone went “holy *&$! what do we do”. haha…. what a lousy double standard.

BUT THIS tidit:

The concept of putting chips into her leg to simulate the limits of human capacity… that’s mind blowingly interesting.

We’re at the point of dialing back our tech to keep us more human. We are literally **Programming ourselves to be more human?*** Think of that…. I also think it would make women jealous that she got to pick her own height. That ted interview is awesome. https://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_on_running

What's cheating? What's "normal"? Is taking HGH cheating more than Tiger Woods having 3 unnecessary lasik surgeries to play better? We're at this point where we can become "more than human", and the fine line is complex....

This forum is totally part of that.

We’re all about to get upgrades, whether due to car forums or medical science editing our genes. This superconsciousness aspect of it is just the start.

/philosophy-time

Mbourne (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Okay... this is one of "those" posts....... a bit all over but fun.

I was just saying to someone that the internet has made us Matrix-like superheroes with the ability to have an ESP and real time upload of information.

I appreciate Kurzweil's optimism (Singularity is Near, Transcendent Man), tho a wee bit too much for me. However, when you look at collectives like Anonymous, they're literally a de-centralized superconsciousness, a flock of birds that will randomly go any direction, some peeling off from the group, then joining again, etc. It's amazing. Constant data collection and real time sharing of everything.

The internet is changing humanity, and people think it's about facebook. Most of the internet happens on forums like this, and it truly democratizes information. In this respect... think of that "clutch satisfaction" thread. We never would have *EVER* gotten it fixed without Lance. Now go back and think of the 70's/80's, and a non-car person (me), or women getting taken advantage of by a mechanic. We had no idea what to say, or what the car was doing, etc. Now she can walk in, and say "cavitation is the process...." =)

I'm fascinated by the transcendence of our human condition.

Pacemakers make us bionic. Prosthetics make us bionic, or transcend humanity partially. We’re already there with medical sciences.

Crispr, frankly, is the largest leap in a long, long time. They’re halting MS (if you haven’t read about this, it is mind blowing), etc. Huntington’s. Cancer. Re-editing genes. Whatever goes now. It’s insane.
Easy DNA Editing Will Remake the World. Buckle Up. | WIRED

related:

This is one of my favorite articles too:
Racing on Carbon Fiber Legs: How Abled Should We Be?

How able bodied should we be?, by Aimee Mullins. Racing on carbon fibre legs was “charming” and a great human interest story, until she started winning. Then it was cheating. To think people thought she was an inspiration *UNTIL* she started beating other athletes and everyone went “holy *&$! what do we do”. haha…. what a lousy double standard.

BUT THIS tidit:

The concept of putting chips into her leg to simulate the limits of human capacity… that’s mind blowingly interesting.

We’re at the point of dialing back our tech to keep us more human. We are literally **Programming ourselves to be more human?*** Think of that…. I also think it would make women jealous that she got to pick her own height. That ted interview is awesome. https://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_on_running

What's cheating? What's "normal"? Is taking HGH cheating more than Tiger Woods having 3 unnecessary lasik surgeries to play better? We're at this point where we can become "more than human", and the fine line is complex....

This forum is totally part of that.

We’re all about to get upgrades, whether due to car forums or medical science editing our genes. This superconsciousness aspect of it is just the start.

/philosophy-time

Mbourne (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Jay, you beat me to it! lol

Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Jay, you beat me to it! lol
If you're not first...you're last. And the way I'm going, and since I [seem to] think that all roads lead back to Seinfeld (and I see that Brother Bourne has adopted that philosophy as well) perhaps all my future posts should simply have a You Tube clip instead of mere words?

Last edited by RickyJay52; 07-08-2016 at 12:16 AM.
Mbourne (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

If you're not first...you're last. And the way I'm going, and since I [seem to] think that all roads lead back to Seinfeld (and I see that Brother Bourne has adopted that philosophy as well) perhaps all my future posts should simply have a You Tube clip instead of mere words?

Giddy up - YouTube
I'm hard pressed for a real life situation that hasn't been covered with Simpsons or Seinfeld jokes.

Was this thread about fuel capacity? OH YEAH!

I did 17.4 the other night with something like "20 miles" left on the fuel guage read out thingy. =)

Old 07-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't know what the actuall fuel capasity is (other than what JLR claims), but having done some spirited Autobahn driving together with cars like Ferrari 488, 430 Scuderia, 599, Porsche GT3 RS, Turbo S, GT2 and BMW M4, I can say that fuel consumption and fuel capasity was rather similar amongst us all, and when someone needed a refill, we all actually did.

What I have learned is that the mpg for the F-type R is VERY much depending on how "spirited" your drive is - and much more so than previous cars I have owned.

Which is just what to expect in a 550 hp/680 Nm car with a brilliant 8 speed autobox

Old 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Speaking of all things related to gas...has anyone ever heard a high pitched sound when they open the gas cap? Has happened only once, with about 1/4 tank left decided to fill up and when I opened the cap it emitted a high pitched whine for about 10 seconds.

Quick Reply: Fuel Capacity