F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injectors seized inside engine's cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Injectors seized inside engine's cylinder head

I have a '14 F Type with 42k miles. Was running great but then engine light suddenly came on and car was sputtering in lower gears. Took to Jag dealership next day and they said 3 fuel injectors failed. Gave me a quote of $2400 to fix. I had them call my extended warranty company (Liberty Bell in NJ) to file a claim. I am supposedly covered bumper 2 bumper with their "platinum prime" tier coverage which definitely covers fuel system. However, they denied the claim blaming it on flood damage the car incurred 6 months earlier. The dealership and every other mechanic I've spoken with denies that the flood has any correlation to the fuel injector issue. Anyway, I told them to go ahead and fix it and I would pay the 2400 out of pocket. But then they called me back a few days later and told me there was a "situation". When I called back they told me that the injectors had seized or were "fused" inside the engine's cylinder head. The estimate now is at $12,000+ because they say they have to send out to a machine to remove the stuck injectors and this is very labor intensive (40+ hours). I don't know what to do and I love my Jag but at this point I may have to sell it for parts and scrap metal unless someone has a better idea because I cannot pay that kind of money. If this situation has any relation to the flood damage from 6 months ago it would be easy...I would just reopen my claim with Geico my regular insurance who covered that damage the last time. As far as Liberty Bell, I can't even sue them in FL where I live as their contract says they can only be sued in NJ and it must go to Arbitration first. After the flood 6 months ago, the fix was a new alternator, auxillary battery and air flow sensor. In total it was a little over 2g which was covered by Geico. But for what Jag of Ft. Laud is charging now, I could probably get a whole new engine. I have also gotten Jag USA involved and they assigned me a case, but I don't know how effective that will be. Any good ideas much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-04-2020, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Schazam
I have a '14 F Type with 42k miles. Was running great but then engine light suddenly came on and car was sputtering in lower gears. Took to Jag dealership next day and they said 3 fuel injectors failed. Gave me a quote of $2400 to fix. I had them call my extended warranty company (Liberty Bell in NJ) to file a claim. I am supposedly covered bumper 2 bumper with their "platinum prime" tier coverage which definitely covers fuel system. However, they denied the claim blaming it on flood damage the car incurred 6 months earlier. The dealership and every other mechanic I've spoken with denies that the flood has any correlation to the fuel injector issue. Anyway, I told them to go ahead and fix it and I would pay the 2400 out of pocket. But then they called me back a few days later and told me there was a "situation". When I called back they told me that the injectors had seized or were "fused" inside the engine's cylinder head. The estimate now is at $12,000+ because they say they have to send out to a machine to remove the stuck injectors and this is very labor intensive (40+ hours). I don't know what to do and I love my Jag but at this point I may have to sell it for parts and scrap metal unless someone has a better idea because I cannot pay that kind of money. If this situation has any relation to the flood damage from 6 months ago it would be easy...I would just reopen my claim with Geico my regular insurance who covered that damage the last time. As far as Liberty Bell, I can't even sue them in FL where I live as their contract says they can only be sued in NJ and it must go to Arbitration first. After the flood 6 months ago, the fix was a new alternator, auxillary battery and air flow sensor. In total it was a little over 2g which was covered by Geico. But for what Jag of Ft. Laud is charging now, I could probably get a whole new engine. I have also gotten Jag USA involved and they assigned me a case, but I don't know how effective that will be. Any good ideas much appreciated. Thank you!
Wow...Sorry to hear this and that really sucks! And what a ridiculous quote and approach to repairing. Even at 40 hours, that is ~ $300/hr. And yes, you could buy an engine for less than that.

You asked for suggestions, so here is what I would do in your situation. Liberty Bell is an insurance company (they sell warranties, but that is just a form of insurance/contract based products), and they are telling you that the damage IS CAUSED by the flood. GEICO, another insurance company is not paying, as it was not identified or felt it was caused by the flood. So I would call GEICO and tell them that your warranty company says the injectors are flood-related and denied your claim, and let them sort out the proximal cause as it relates to their two mutually repugnant clauses/contracts.

Give that a try. And good luck!
DC

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (12-05-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 2,631 Likes on 1,813 Posts

For what it's worth, sometimes the injectors in the AJ133 and AJ126 can be very difficult to remove, but what can be done is to spray around the injector bores with penetrating fluid and let them soak. There was an Aj126 with the injector in number three cylinder that would not break free even after over one hundred hits with the slide hammer, but three days later after soaking with penetrating fluid, it came out easily.

Did the Technician working on your engine break off an injector inside the head(s)?

The following users liked this post:
Therock88 (12-04-2020)
Old 01-01-2021, 01:40 AM
Default Update

I had the jag towed from Jag FTL to an independent shop. I called Geico to reopen the flood claim. They authorized $304 for a diagnostic but the mechanic wanted $4100. Jag FLL left the car disassembled with pieces everywhere. I refused to pay 4100 and am now having the car towed to Jag of palm beach. They said they will not be able to tell if the damage is related to the flood until they take apart the engine. They gave me a ballpark estimate of 10g that I may have to pay out of pocket for the job. Geico is saying they will only cover this if there is some
proof of being linked to the flood from 6 mos ago. I can understand 3 fuel injectors all on one side all failing at the same time. However how do you explain the fact that they are fused inside the engine? This sounds like corrosion to me which would be from the flood right? And Liberty will may offer to pay for the actual injectors which are cheap but nothing for the labor of getting the old ones unstuck because that is related to flooding which is not covered by them. In a real tough situation here but am really hoping for some decent resolution here. Any new advice before I have it towed on mon to jag of PB?

Old 01-01-2021, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 398 Posts

However how do you explain the fact that they are fused inside the engine? This sounds like corrosion to me which would be from the flood right?
It is common for injectors in our engines to become 'encrusted' with carbon on the tips that extend into the combustion chambers. When that happens, the mushroom shape restricts the ability to pull the injectors straight out, even with the special slide-hammer tool that is supposed to be used.

NOW you know why many of us use a de-carbonizing treatment like CRC Intake and Turbo Cleaner before an oil change!

@NBCat had good advice, hopefully none of the injectors broke from brute-force attempts at removal.

Good luck with your attempts at warranty/insurance co. reimbursement. I've heard stories about this type of finger-pointing for years.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a stuck injector. I put pb blaster down around it and let it soak over night. Then I added a 10 pound weight from my bench press to the slide hammer for more oomph! It worked. After 10-15 more hard pulled, it popped out. Corrosion and carbon tends to stick them in pretty well. Theres guy in England who invented a hydraulic jack set up and removes them for less than $12K. You could even fly him here for less than that. Just a thought.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
For what it's worth, sometimes the injectors in the AJ133 and AJ126 can be very difficult to remove, but what can be done is to spray around the injector bores with penetrating fluid and let them soak. There was an Aj126 with the injector in number three cylinder that would not break free even after over one hundred hits with the slide hammer, but three days later after soaking with penetrating fluid, it came out easily.

Did the Technician working on your engine break off an injector inside the head(s)?
Nobody has done any work as of yet.

Old 01-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Injectors are not that hard to swap out. Buy the good slide hammer tool with the black tip. Use some pb blaster and soak it for a few days. Add a 10 pound weight and slam away. It will come out. Don't be scared. As long as you mount the tool properly, it will hold. Drivers side is tougher than passenger side. Only because of the coil screws access. Other than that, its simple.

Good luck.