Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel price, lucky americans

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
I already wanted to do that a few years back so I purchased a home in Boerne TX, I have been renting it since. My youngest kids will enter High School this year, summer is our move time. TX also rarely receives snow like CT and unlike here where, you are forced in the house for 5 months when super cold... You are smart there
Yes there is no way I could live somewhere that would require me to put up my Jag for six months or so of the year....

Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Vali
Given that I live in Quebec and can only drive my car 6 months and still pay for 12, you have it pretty good.
I don't see how the home property tax is relevant though. CT tax is 2.02% so that means your house is evaluated at $2,029,702. That is a discretionary number and irrelevant here, you could be living in a 500k home or a 10M home. You still pay less than 1$ a litre for gas, actually closer to $0.96. Conversely, we pay $1.29 because Canada imports 85% of its gas from the US. Why? Our inability to invest in our infrastructure. Registration for my F-Type was closer to 600$ because there is an extra tax on every cylinder above 4. Insurance pretty similar but I cancel it for 6 months in winter during storage.

Several errors. First of all, fuel price just like any other living costs needs to be ut in contest. So, costs of living are important. I also pay for 12 month insurance on cars and motorcycles... and jetskis etc and like you, I only have 5 nice months a year. Home property taxes are not a fixed percentage, each town/municipality sets a mil rate, that is multiplied by (home value X70) //1000. Regardless, the moe value is irrelevant. I hear this argument all the time from my relatives in Europe and when they realize how expensive other things are, they stop whining.