F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Quality Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by gsk7777777
not my intent al all actually; just looking to learn from more experienced F Type owners (apparently there doesn't appear to be many)...
Many F-type owners chipped in stating unanimously 'there's no issue with E10'. Not one instance of a Jaguar (any model) was offered up with evidence of damage. Nonetheless you maintain your stance that there's 'issues'.

Regarding cross contamination of 87 with 91 octane, you've similarly dismissed the learned advice of other posters.

For fun, I did the math. If the car before you filled with 87 and you then loaded a 1/3 tank of 91, the net octane resulting from the 'cross contamination' would be in the area of 90.95. With the knowledge that owners deliberately or accidentally use full tanks of 87 on their Jags with no known damage, I doubt running on 90.95 will cause much of an issue.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Many F-type owners chipped in stating unanimously 'there's no issue with E10'. Not one instance of a Jaguar (any model) was offered up with evidence of damage. Nonetheless you maintain your stance that there's 'issues'.

Regarding cross contamination of 87 with 91 octane, you've similarly dismissed the learned advice of other posters.

For fun, I did the math. If the car before you filled with 87 and you then loaded a 1/3 tank of 91, the net octane resulting from the 'cross contamination' would be in the area of 90.95. With the knowledge that owners deliberately or accidentally use full tanks of 87 on their Jags with no known damage, I doubt running on 90.95 will cause much of an issue.

My concern is I don't know how much low grade fuel remains in the line before high grade fuels begins to flow. The dispenser line is at least 3 m long with a diameter of at least 25 mm resulting in 90.88 octane after blending (assuming a 20 L fill). I agree that seems trivial. If the actual volume of 87 is larger (not knowing where along the system the switch between 87 and 91 occurs), then I'm concerned. I was hoping that a engineer who designs fuel dispensing systems would weigh in. In the meantime I stick to my fuel quality fueling method (as odd as it is lol). I was also wondering if others do this or am I the only crazy person in the F Type world (it appears I may be).

Old 03-23-2016, 08:00 PM

A simple Google search provides the answer- direct from the horses mouth

Am I getting hosed by regular at the pump? - The Globe and Mail

"Shell says that, as long as the premium purchase is more than 10 litres, the total sale will be “on-spec for octane and meet the 91 AKI standard.” It added that Weights and Measures Canada, which monitors and inspects pumps and controls the related regulations, approved the use of “single hose blender pumps” many years ago."

Old 03-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A simple Google search provides the answer- direct from the horses mouth

Am I getting hosed by regular at the pump? - The Globe and Mail

"Shell says that, as long as the premium purchase is more than 10 litres, the total sale will be “on-spec for octane and meet the 91 AKI standard.” It added that Weights and Measures Canada, which monitors and inspects pumps and controls the related regulations, approved the use of “single hose blender pumps” many years ago."

good new! thanks...your google skills are better than mine!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Many F-type owners chipped in stating unanimously 'there's no issue with E10'.
Mikey, are you still at it? Give it up already before you work yourself up for a heart attack. Maybe help yourself to some fine barrel-aged ethanol to bring your blood pressure down.

"Many F-type owners?" You don't even have one, so you don't count. "Unanimously?" Hardly, just you throwing tantrums and refusing to consider overwhelming mount of evidence, because "look at me, my old Chevy is fine, look at that fine picture of gas cap".

Here is another recent article on harms of ethanol from your favorite newspaper:

The problem with ethanol in gasoline - The Globe and Mail

Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gsk7777777
My concern is I don't know how much low grade fuel remains in the line before high grade fuels begins to flow.
Some, but not enough to matter in how your car runs unless you fuel up only a gallon or so at a time.

On a full tank of gas? Round-off error.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Speaking of trolls........

Here's the inside of my old Corvette's gas tank. It's had nothing but E10 since the mid 90s (20 years) and is stored for 6 months of the year over our Canadian winters in an unheated garage. The gas you're seeing was 2 years old at the time.

There is no corrosion. There is no water............
I noticed that you posted elsewhere that you had Spectra gas tank installed on your Corvette. I searched it, and they advertise stainless steel tanks. This might be why your new tank isn't rusting out.

So what happened to the old one, when did it rust out?

Old 11-16-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
I noticed that you posted elsewhere that you had Spectra gas tank installed on your Corvette. I searched it, and they advertise stainless steel tanks. This might be why your new tank isn't rusting out.

So what happened to the old one, when did it rust out?
The old gas tank was in visually poor/unacceptable external condition, having being exposed to a hard life of being driven year round in nasty eastern Canadian winters for 20+ years. The inside of the tank still looked like new and there were no leaks or weak spots. Had I not been in the middle of doing a full frame off restoration of the car I would not have considered replacing the tank.

The unit in there now was offered to me by the OEM at a very low cost (almost free) as they were looking for a 'mule' to test fit their line of replacement tanks.

It was manufactured from plated steel following GM OEM processes. No stainless, no magic, no trickery.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

So inside your old Corvette's new gas tank it looks like new. Everything else aside, don't you think it is A LOT misleading to repeatedly post a picture of it, implying it is original?

As an aside, when I looked inside tank that failed at the seam due to internal rust, I couldn't visually see any rust even when I knew where it was leaking. So in cars that are driven, you can't really visually see rust until it fails.

On other hand, another car I have is equipped with a swirl pot contraption (what a bad design). The tank is 100% fine, but due to swirl pot it looks like there is a lot of rust in there.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
So inside your old Corvette's new gas tank it looks like new. Everything else aside, don't you think it is A LOT misleading to repeatedly post a picture of it, implying it is original?
The 'new' gas tank was installed 20+ years ago. It was manufactured to 1960's era GM specs, long before ethanol blended gas became widely available and the '90s when OEMs were required to ensure that the entire fuel system was E10 ready.

Also not mentioned, is that this car has an 'open' fuel system where air is freely permitted to enter the tank via the cap to replace fuel as it is used. This is in contrast to today's cars where the caps are sealed and no free movement of outside air is permitted.

As mentioned this fuel tank has had nothing but E10 since it's installation.

As such- if there's any vehicle that should have suffered from the ravages of ethanol, this would be an ideal candidate.