Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fumoto Oil Drain Valve?

Hello world-

I have used Fumoto valves on all my previous auto's (Toyota, Honda, Lexus) since I do all the maintenance on the vehicles it makes an oil change a breeze. As my "Elite Care Service" is just about up, and I am somewhat looking forward to it as every time I get the car back I have to re-due something, I thought it may be worthy checking if anyone else has used the Fumoto with the F-Type? If so which one? I have never had a problem with Fumoto and have been using them for nearly a decade.

I would rather drain the oil from the pan than pulling it out the top, I may be old school but I feel I can get more crap from the pan letting it drip for an hour rather than pulling out the topside.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/...modelId=332621

Thanks oh wise ones

Marc

Old 10-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

No, don’t do it. I had a fumoto valve on an old car (01 Vehicross) and I had no issues with it. But the Vehicross has 11” of ground clearance. Don’t do the fumoto on the jag it’s too low. Seriously, spend $40 more than the fumoto valve and get an extractor. Get an extractor, get an extractor, get an extractor, get an extractor.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:21 PM

lol ok, I actually already have an extractor as I use it for my boat oil changes...if the jury decision is extractor than so be it! It will be easier for me to change with it, I just keep thinking about the schmutz left in the pan.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,249 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Ippolito
No, don’t do it. I had a fumoto valve on an old car (01 Vehicross) and I had no issues with it. But the Vehicross has 11” of ground clearance. Don’t do the fumoto on the jag it’s too low. Seriously, spend $40 more than the fumoto valve and get an extractor. Get an extractor, get an extractor, get an extractor, get an extractor.
But the sump plug is protected by the plastic under-tray so no way it or the valve could be hit by anything.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 378 Likes on 256 Posts

I just changed the oil in my car with an extractor. I measured the amount of oil taken out and it was 7 liters even. According to the manual it takes 7.25 liters with a filter change. So Looks like almost all the old oil is extracted.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:38 PM

Yea its the almost part that I would prefer to get all of...call me ****, and I agree it will get diluted, but if the filter doesn't capture all the bits it will remain in the pan. Especially with a 1yr/16k oil change...If the Fumoto fits that would be ideal, I just don't want to be the only one doing it

Old 10-25-2018, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,249 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by mwinner
lol ok, I actually already have an extractor as I use it for my boat oil changes...if the jury decision is extractor than so be it! It will be easier for me to change with it, I just keep thinking about the schmutz left in the pan.
This debate has raged for years across many Jag forums - does using an extractor really leave excess old oil and/or crud in the bottom of the sump when compared to using the drain plug? - and I have never seen a definitive answer.
On one hand all JLR dealerships use the extractor method, so if it's good enough for them it should be perfectly OK, otherwise why would they risk expensive warranty claims on damaged engines?
On the other hand, maybe they do it that way simply to save workshop time (removing the under-tray is a chore), and the end of the extraction tube sits a few mm off the bottom of the sump (shown in pics on a thread in the XF forum) so you would assume there is a fair bit of old oil/crud left behind.
I have used both methods on the F-Type, the last time with an extraction pump (the first time I have ever used this method), and I wasn't sure it got all the old oil out.
Next time I reckon I will go back to the sump plug drain method even though it's a time consuming hassle, seeing as I have all the time in the world anyway.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 378 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by mwinner
Yea its the almost part that I would prefer to get all of...call me ****, and I agree it will get diluted, but if the filter doesn't capture all the bits it will remain in the pan. Especially with a 1yr/16k oil change...If the Fumoto fits that would be ideal, I just don't want to be the only one doing it
I only put about 4k miles a year on my car and change the oil every year so I would be surprised if there would be much of any sludge in the oil sump. IMHO I don't see 0.25 to 0.5 liter left in the sump as a big deal. Also I would say at least 100ml or so stays in the filter that is replaced.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:58 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Ippolito
If anyone is looking for an extractor, I have a Topsider MVP for sale. It was purchased for the Ghibli which I traded in on my F. The extractor was used one time and I don't see a future need for it as the Jag comes with five years of included service and doesn't have a dipstick tube anyway. It works flawlessly and is manual ILO electric, which is why I bought it. It's also metal which I preferred.
I'll throw in two quarts of Mobil 1 5w-40 and shipping for $50.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,126 Likes on 1,421 Posts

The Jag has a pipe inside the oil fill tube, which is there specifically for extraction.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 414 Posts

I think you folks are worrying about nothing, 0.25L is insignificant.

My other exotic is mid engined and has what seems to be miles of oil piping, going to an oil cooler in the front of the car Out of the 7.0 QTS capacity of the oil system, I only can drain 5.5 qts each time. I have never had an oiling issue in 93,000 miles on that car.

Just continue to change oil on its yearly schedule (preferably before your 'off season') and you will be taking good care of your kitty.

+++++++++++

If you have easy access to the underbody, then a Fumoto valve would certainly be a convenience. Myself, I like to optimize away those few minutes of oil drain time by applying silicone to the bushing rubber and inspecting the undercarriage. I think these steps have helped with ALL my cars (my newest daily driver is going on 13 years old, purchased new).