Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse 15 -> Check Engine Light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 04:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fuse 15 -> Check Engine Light?

Greetings all,

A few weeks ago I removed fuse 15 in my ‘21 R, no regrets. However today as I was making my way to the Tail of the Dragon (about a 500 mile trip) I saw an amber check engine light illuminate. I got into the manual and it said this: “The lamp remains illuminated until the engine starts. If the lamp illuminates when the engine is running, an emissions-related fault has been detected. The vehicle remains safe to drive with the lamp illuminated, although qualified assistance should be sought as soon as possible.”

Has anyone else had any emissions faults related to pulling the fuse?

Old 06-20-2024, 05:24 PM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Atipical
Greetings all,

A few weeks ago I removed fuse 15 in my ‘21 R, no regrets. However today as I was making my way to the Tail of the Dragon (about a 500 mile trip) I saw an amber check engine light illuminate. I got into the manual and it said this: “The lamp remains illuminated until the engine starts. If the lamp illuminates when the engine is running, an emissions-related fault has been detected. The vehicle remains safe to drive with the lamp illuminated, although qualified assistance should be sought as soon as possible.”

Has anyone else had any emissions faults related to pulling the fuse?
Not me, but it’s only been a very short while with my Claws out mode setup.

Perhaps a failed oxygen sensor? I keep hearing that these like to go. I can’t imagine the fuse 15 pull is a direct cause.

You don’t have a code reader? I still need to get one myself.

Old 06-20-2024, 06:21 PM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

High unlikely, Fuse 15 is for active exhaust flaps and should have nothing to do with the engine. I've had the fuse out for over 2 months with no warnings, others on here have had the fuse out for years. Maybe one of your sensors failed?

Old 06-20-2024, 07:48 PM

That’s what I was thinking. The flaps should have nothing to do with o2 sensors. Welp back to the dealer I go. I’ll let you guys know what’s going on once I finish my weekend trip. (Definitely still attacking Tail of The Dragon full send)

Old 06-20-2024, 08:04 PM

Unfortunately I don’t have a code reader. I suppose it would have to be an O2 sensor. I’m sure they have never been replaced since the car was bought.

Old 06-20-2024, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Not surprised!!
I always suspected that problems with cats and O2 sensors might be related to excess unburned fuel.
I did run for while with the fuse removed (now replaced) but figured it probably increased the risk of cat damage.
A bit surprised if it happened on a 3 year old car. How many miles??

Old 06-20-2024, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

I haven't tried pulling the fuse, but my understanding is that it only affects the valves in the muffler. If that is the case, I don't see how it could possibly cause a CEL, or MIL if you prefer to call it that.

The excess unburned fuel is from the programming to cause "pops and crackles" to mimic the sounds from carbureted engines. Sure, it sounds cool, but there is no benefit whatsoever other than the cool sound.

Old 06-20-2024, 10:05 PM
Received 440 Likes on 236 Posts

Since the valves are located in the last 2' (in the V6) and last 1' (in the V8) of the exhaust pipes, pulling fuse 15 does not and will not cause a CEL. It can't. The valves are not part of the emissions system--they are for noise abatement purposes only. Additionally, the position of the valves has nothing to do with *creating* the pops and bangs with fuel overrun. That is an ECU programming that is dependent on drive mode. It just so happens that some of those drive modes have the valves open as well and so you hear them better.

I've run without the fuse on two separate F-Types for over three years without an issue on either. I've also gone through annual CARB-state emissions system testing and passed without issue each time with the fuse removed during testing.

Last edited by Thunder Dump; 06-20-2024 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (06-20-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member

I am certainly no expert, but the pops and bangs arise from burning off excess fuel.
Opening the exhaust valves reduces back pressure on the exhaust system.
Does that enable more fuel to enter the cats? I do not know.
But, it is a fact that excess fuel in the exhaust will kill the cats (and the O2 sensors?).

https://www.cars.com/articles/what-a...1420663031608/

Old 06-21-2024, 04:57 AM

The car has just over 23k miles. I’ve been driving without the fuse in place for about 2k miles. So not long at all.

Old 06-21-2024, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

While I agree it is unlikely to be the cause, given the $2K miles, I would still replace the fuse before you take it in for a warranty claim.

Atipical (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 06:18 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

your best bet is to go to O’Reilly’s, Autozone or similar. They will be able to read out the DTCs. Remember, O2 sensors are covered under an extended Jaguar warranty. Good luck.

Carbuff2 (06-22-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member

Your car is still under warranty- just take it to the dealer to fix - you paid for it already!!

Old 06-21-2024, 06:25 AM

Are oxygen sensor still failing regularly on the newer cars? I thought that they were not failing all that much because of changes Jag made to the new cars vs. the older ones?

Old 06-21-2024, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

Changes like software that reduces pops and bangs!!
JLR finally realized their open exhaust option was costing them real money!!

Old 06-21-2024, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by DMeister
Are oxygen sensor still failing regularly on the newer cars? I thought that they were not failing all that much because of changes Jag made to the new cars vs. the older ones?
I haven’t heard of or seen any of the newer cars suffering from O2 sensor failure so this was unexpected. On a (maybe?) related note, during my mountain carving I briefly got “suspension fault” and “E-Diff unavailable, traction limited, 2 wheel drive only” faults. I freaked out. Pulled the car over and cycled power after a few minutes, the warnings disappeared and after an hour or so proceeded to drive at 9/10ths since about 9 this morning. Maybe an electrical gremlin? Thoughts?

Old 06-24-2024, 07:59 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had my coolant pipes updated and a week later the check engine light came on with the P013E code for O2 sensor failure. The dealer said not related and the sensors are under warranty and they will replace no charge.

Old 06-24-2024, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by chasers03
I just had my coolant pipes updated and a week later the check engine light came on with the P013E code for O2 sensor failure. The dealer said not related and the sensors are under warranty and they will replace no charge.
what year is your car?

Old 06-24-2024, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Atipical
I haven’t heard of or seen any of the newer cars suffering from O2 sensor failure so this was unexpected. On a (maybe?) related note, during my mountain carving I briefly got “suspension fault” and “E-Diff unavailable, traction limited, 2 wheel drive only” faults. I freaked out. Pulled the car over and cycled power after a few minutes, the warnings disappeared and after an hour or so proceeded to drive at 9/10ths since about 9 this morning. Maybe an electrical gremlin? Thoughts?
Gosh, I don’t know. I’m new to F-types and my car is brand new so I have very few miles on it.

Did the problem come back at all? One thing is for sure, I think having a code reader is basically mandatory with any of these types of complicated vehicles…Not limited to Jag I don’t think…

Old 06-24-2024, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DMeister
Gosh, I don’t know. I’m new to F-types and my car is brand new so I have very few miles on it.

Did the problem come back at all? One thing is for sure, I think having a code reader is basically mandatory with any of these types of complicated vehicles…Not limited to Jag I don’t think…
I definitely concur. The errors never came back and the car has been fine other than the check engine light still on for the O2 sensor(s). I've set an appointment at my dealer and let them know the multitude of error codes I saw so maybe I'll get to the bottom of it, maybe not depending if they can see it in the ECU log. However I do feel confident in the car after the full day's worth of flogging it endured after the codes went away. We shall see indeed.

Quick Reply: Fuse 15 -> Check Engine Light?