F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future infotainment...no CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Received 65 Likes on 18 Posts

Long time listener first time caller.... wait I mean poster.....

I agree that the Jaguar is fun to drive, and it's great that many of you are focused on the drive only. However, when the infotainment system has no way to operate via voice (requires a minimum of 2 - 3 touches and more inputs) for something a simple as navigation, when HVAC Controls are split between physical and Infotainment control, and when Navigation is most likely out of date (cost $300 to upgrade map) its not acceptable. Coming from a car well below this cars price range (Hyundai and Ford) it surprises me that no attention was spent on an almost 2005-2010 infotainment system. When I do drive, I shouldn't have to first turn down the sound just to tell Siri call 'Home', I shouldn't have to wait for inControl to 'sync' my phone, and its a bit ridiculous that WITH inControl I still have to bluetooth pair WHILE it is hardwired. JustDrive was not the greatest, frankly it sucked, but it prevented me having to spend $300 in the hope that the 'map' update had the latest in greatest. Living in a big city such as Dallas makes a map out of date within a year.

My argument is this, if you are going to make the radio/display central to the car and not allow it to be replaceable, you MUST do it right. A car is not a phone that you can replace every year to two years because the handset manufacturer decided to no longer upgrade the OS on your model of phone. A basic infotainment system should be easy to operate, provide the basic controls, and minimal input from user to not disrupt the driving experience. In a car at the price range we are paying for, should have options for integration with our handsets to further improve the overall experiance, otherwise why did I spend this much money on a car if something like a Ford Focus RS has the same horsepower, awd, and a much better infotainment system....

Jaguar made such a beautiful car, such an amazing engine, awesome exhaust, a great interior, and cheaped out on the infotainment system. In addition to this, Jaguar needs to support its customers with a better update process, when they do finally decide to fix their system, vs abandoning them with this crappy system.

The following 3 users liked this post by rickw:
LobsterClaws (03-04-2018), Misujerr (03-04-2018), Whirlinturbin (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:51 PM

I want to add some additional points to this. The fact that you must use your phone to compensate for the infotainment system is a testament that Jaguar has no idea what it is doing for the user experience. They decided this when they chose not to go with the overall market direction and integrate with CarPlay and Google Car, IN Favor of having additional control into their ecosystem. The general idea of the infotainment system is to provide you a single area to do anything you need in the car, while your phone is stored away.

Sorry for the long rant, just frustrated.

The following 3 users liked this post by rickw:
kurtomatic (03-05-2018), LobsterClaws (03-04-2018), Misujerr (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
Actually on a Lamborghini, the entire gauge pod is a screen which shows the nav map and other things as needed.
Personally, I prefer round mechanical gauges and a map holder.

(Wutchu say bout dinosaurs?)

PLUS boost, oil temp and IAT. Barring that I'd go with nothing but HUD (all digital readout except the tach)

OW, wouldn't it be loverly?

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-04-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my (dinosaur) day the passenger was the ideal map holder.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by MF 007
In my (dinosaur) day the passenger was the ideal map holder.
..not always.. ..wifes reading maps developed into a trauma of not believing the satnav if it has a womans voice..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 03-04-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: rephrase
Old 03-04-2018, 08:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
OW, wouldn't it be loverly?
Indeed, Miss Doolittle.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't think I've seen an actual physical map in about 15 years.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (03-04-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

One very obvious way to solve problem don't buy the car in the first place. I doubt many people buy any performance car for a state of the art infortainment system. It's there, so be it. Every sports car I've bought since 1971 I bought for the way it looked and felt and drove. I hoped I could hear the radio with the roof down! The cars I was disappointed in didn't stay long. Anyone ever listen to the $8k radio in a Ferrari? Doesn't stop them from selling every one they make!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
One very obvious way to solve problem don't buy the car in the first place. I doubt many people buy any performance car for a state of the art infortainment system. It's there, so be it. Every sports car I've bought since 1971 I bought for the way it looked and felt and drove. I hoped I could hear the radio with the roof down! The cars I was disappointed in didn't stay long. Anyone ever listen to the $8k radio in a Ferrari? Doesn't stop them from selling every one they make!
This is a invalid point (as much as you are trying to invalidate the overall opinion that it doesn't matter), even Ferrari, along with Lamborghini, is upping its game on infotainment and is leveraging AppleCar Play. Furthermore, the comparison is not an apples to apples comparison, instead compare the car to Audi, BMW, the Chevy Corvette, etc and you quickly realize that while the car is beautiful, engine amazing, the overall user technology lags behind the rest of the industry. We are not talking about audio quality here, we are talking about paying 60k+ for a Car that Jag has already abandoned several things it marketed with the CAR (IE Integration with your phone). We can't even say that Jag is not focused on technology, the new F-Type includes Driver assist parallel parking and Automatic Speed Limiter.

The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (03-05-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think anyone here is implying that the F Type is a terrible car due to the fact its infotainment sucks. They are just saying that the infotainment system could have been much better and lags in terms of todays standard. With technological advances by all other manufacturers, Jaguar should up their game as well. Its kind of similar to what happened in the phone world, it was intended to just to make calls initially, but look at it now. Its a whole new ballgame.

Also to each his own, no one is wrong here. People may have different needs and wants out of their cars.

The F type is an awesome awesome car, and I am in love with it. No other car has made me so happy or smile like an idiot.

PS: I have never turned on my music system because of the ORCHESTRA sitting in my exhaust. However, I use the navigation all the time and I have to pick up my phone and turn on Google Maps or Waze because the nav on the infotainment system ain't that good.

Last edited by death1ord; 03-04-2018 at 06:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by death1ord:
LobsterClaws (03-05-2018), rickw (03-04-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

This post says it all.

Originally Posted by rickw
Long time listener first time caller.... wait I mean poster.....

I agree that the Jaguar is fun to drive, and it's great that many of you are focused on the drive only. However, when the infotainment system has no way to operate via voice (requires a minimum of 2 - 3 touches and more inputs) for something a simple as navigation, when HVAC Controls are split between physical and Infotainment control, and when Navigation is most likely out of date (cost $300 to upgrade map) its not acceptable. Coming from a car well below this cars price range (Hyundai and Ford) it surprises me that no attention was spent on an almost 2005-2010 infotainment system. When I do drive, I shouldn't have to first turn down the sound just to tell Siri call 'Home', I shouldn't have to wait for inControl to 'sync' my phone, and its a bit ridiculous that WITH inControl I still have to bluetooth pair WHILE it is hardwired. JustDrive was not the greatest, frankly it sucked, but it prevented me having to spend $300 in the hope that the 'map' update had the latest in greatest. Living in a big city such as Dallas makes a map out of date within a year.

My argument is this, if you are going to make the radio/display central to the car and not allow it to be replaceable, you MUST do it right. A car is not a phone that you can replace every year to two years because the handset manufacturer decided to no longer upgrade the OS on your model of phone. A basic infotainment system should be easy to operate, provide the basic controls, and minimal input from user to not disrupt the driving experience. In a car at the price range we are paying for, should have options for integration with our handsets to further improve the overall experiance, otherwise why did I spend this much money on a car if something like a Ford Focus RS has the same horsepower, awd, and a much better infotainment system....

Jaguar made such a beautiful car, such an amazing engine, awesome exhaust, a great interior, and cheaped out on the infotainment system. In addition to this, Jaguar needs to support its customers with a better update process, when they do finally decide to fix their system, vs abandoning them with this crappy system.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

I think my point is reinforced, Audi, BVMW, amd Merc are all out there to purchase. Our '17 Maser Ghibli S has the best system I've ever had, Chrysler's MTC+! But I would not be cross shopping that with a F Type. I agree updates could handle alot and all the other systems get improvements. Even a reasonable charge would probably get a lot of action. But do we know whose system Jag buys? They really control it. Don't know if I'd spend more than acouple hundred bucks. Apple Carplay was added to MTC+ not on MTC!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Every time I plug in a destination on the Nav. I have to double check as it sometimes takes me 90 degrees away from the straight line to said dest. Now I am using Waze as backup. Maybe I should revert to the Mini Cooper and just use the Waze and save the $$$'s???
or I could just leave the Nav. off enjoy the drive, use the Waze and save the frustration.......