Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin in the F-type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts
Question Garmin in the F-type?

Has anyone installed a Garmin in an F-type?

I know the view/windshield space is a little limited for an aftermarket unit.

Garmin is coming out with a beautiful and elegant frameless 6" unit soon.

The factory GPS is lacking and the ability to copy over all my POIs from my other Garmin is very attractive.

I do use Waze but am aware that there are many places without a cell signal - found that out the hard way a few times.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/55...n/010-01681-02

Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I've always wanted to know .....

Which NAV unit is better, Garmin or TomTom. Anyone know?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

If you are starting from scratch I'd say TomTom.

Garmins have an issue that they seen to never be able to fix.

Even after you set most Garmins to take the FASTEST route not the SHORTEST route it still tries to take you through every neighborhood instead of staying on main streets.

It does this even after you tell it not to in settings. I live ten miles from Garmin in Wilsonville Oregon and even had them 'check' one of mine.

Said all better, then immediately wanted to send me through a side neighborhood to take the more time consuming, more cluttered course.

I stay Garmin because I have too much time in it; changing would be like me going away from Quickbooks. It has its flaws, but I am too married to it.

The answer to the Garmin is just avoid the obvious times it wants to take you down goat trails and instead stay on the main road. I am also nerdy enough to run the Garmin and Waze at once.

https://www.gps-forums.com/

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 02-28-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
If you are starting from scratch I'd say TomTom.

Garmins have an issue that they seen to never be able to fix.

Even after you set most Garmins to take the FASTEST route not the SHORTEST route it still tries to take you through every neighborhood instead of staying on main streets.

It does this even after you tell it not to in settings. I live ten miles from Garmin in Wilsonville Oregon and even had them 'check' one of mine.

Said all better, then immediately wanted to send me through a side neighborhood to take the more time consuming, more cluttered course.

I stay Garmin because I have too much time in it; changing would be like me going away from Quickbooks. It has its flaws, but I am too married to it.

The answer to the Garmin is just avoid the obvious times it wants to take you down goat trails and instead stay on the main road. I am also nerdy enough to run the Garmin and Waze at once.

https://www.gps-forums.com/

Download Garmin to your phone, mount your phone on a Scoshe Magnetic mount at eye-level to the road, and minimize the clutter.

Be careful to read the details of the many different apps Garmin offers. I downloaded Garmin Street Pilot to my iPhone, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, for a one-time fee of $45.00. No recurring fees or additional charges since...

I get real-time updates of all the latest maps and map features via cellular connection, but it stores map data for the surrounding region on your phone so its not relying on strength of cellular connection to keep map data populated. Never had any of the problems you describe above.

Favorite feature is how Garmin has accurately overlaid all the local speed limits on the maps, and you get an audible tone every time you exceed the posted speed by a margin you can establish in settings.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

They still sell these?

Old 03-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

This has got me scared to even be on the road. The thought of people staring at a crummy, small phone screen to navigate, when they should be driving makes me want to stay at home. OEM Nav systems have short comings but the screens are big enough that a quick glance is all you need. An iPad would do well, too. But I cannot even see what is on my phone screen when I am sitting at my desk.
Larry

Old 03-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

6" Garmin screen on lower right of windshield is less distracting then looking at a mobile phone I would agree on that point.

Garmin app is fine, but if I wanted to use an app it would be Waze. The whole point of having the Garmin for me is transfering all my POIs/addresses.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

IMO if Garmin doesn't provide an easy way to export your POIs/addresses you shouldn't support them for having a closed ecosystem like that.