F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Spills Every Time During Fill Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gas Spills Every Time During Fill Up

Is this just me or does anyone else have an issue with the gas pump not shutting off when the tank is full?

I've only had my F-Type for a couple months. But EVERY SINGLE time I go to fill up the tank, the pump does not shut off until it's overflowed and splashes gas everywhere. I've used different gas stations so it's not just one type of pump.

This is extremely annoying. I either have to guess how much gas to put in and not get a complete fill up, or stand back and wait for the splash, then spend a couple minutes cleaning gasoline off the side of the car.

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Never happened to me in different gas stations in several different countries in Europe.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 735 Posts

That's the opposite of the old complaint, now resolved. The original design of the filler neck caused the nozzle to shut off repeatedly. Mine was replaced under warranty and the problem went away.

I'm not sure the nozzle type you have in OH, but if you have vapor recovery systems, I'm puzzled. I haven't heard of your complaint with this car before.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds more like a problem with the fuel pump rather than the car, but anything is possible. Has the problem occurred at other stations? I could not tell from the original post whether it's the same station or pump.

Like lizzardo said, the fuel filler TSB addressed the opposite problem of the pump continually shutting off during filling.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

In the meantime, you can easily calculate the remaining capacity of the tank and shut it off before it overflows. When you turn on or off the ECO button, the dash will show you the exact remaining percentage. The tank holds 18.4 gallons. Just calculate the remainder in gallons and subtract from 18.4.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Sounds like you need a new filler neck. Have the dealer check it out.

The following users liked this post:
reznik6044 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 596 Likes on 404 Posts

I've only seen this once and the problem was at the pump. So, that would be my first vote. However, if you've had the problem at multiple stations, I'd agree with the Unhingd one and have the dealer check out the filler neck and/or evap.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by jv9344
I could not tell from the original post whether it's the same station or pump.
Different stations. I agree its very strange. I searched on this forum and couldn't find any exiting posts on the subject.

The interesting thing is that Jag put a little drainage hole beneath the spout where the gas goes in. So at least the spilled gas drains out on it own.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Never had an issue UNLESS I tried to "bump" a few more ounces in AFTER the original shut off. You know when trying to get to a round number or otherwise. After first bump I now just put the nozzle back in the pump. One question I'd ask is... are you CERTAIN that you are putting the nozzle ALL THE WAY IN when you fill up?

Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default OK, I'm guessing here..........

Modern vehicles have an onboard refueling vapor recovery system (ORVR), duplicating the efforts of the filling station fuel pump systems to recover vapors during refueling. Perhaps your Jag's ORVR system is malfunctioning and not allowing the filler hose sensor system to detect a full tank for the auto shut-off.

These ORVR systems have become so ubiquitous (since the late 1990s) that the US-EPA has allowed States to permit fuel filling station pumps to eliminate their nozzle based vapor recovery systems - as they're doing in Arizona.

Hopefully this helps.

Desert Hiker

Old 03-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Never had an issue UNLESS I tried to "bump" a few more ounces in AFTER the original shut off. You know when trying to get to a round number or otherwise. After first bump I now just put the nozzle back in the pump. One question I'd ask is... are you CERTAIN that you are putting the nozzle ALL THE WAY IN when you fill up?
Not sure if this was true, but when I had my BMW I was told or read never to "bump" after initial auto shut off of pump as it messes up the evap or something in the fuel system. I no longer bump on any vehicles. BS or truth?

Old 03-25-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Not sure if this was true, but when I had my BMW I was told or read never to "bump" after initial auto shut off of pump as it messes up the evap or something in the fuel system. I no longer bump on any vehicles. BS or truth?
That is absolutely true! Two easy ways to tell if the EVAP system is messed up:

1. A whooshing sound when one opens the Gas Cap.
2. A strong smell of Gas coming from the rear of the Car, in situations such as when it’s in the Garage or other enclosed space.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 173 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by reznik6044
Is this just me or does anyone else have an issue with the gas pump not shutting off when the tank is full?

I've only had my F-Type for a couple months. But EVERY SINGLE time I go to fill up the tank, the pump does not shut off until it's overflowed and splashes gas everywhere. I've used different gas stations so it's not just one type of pump.

This is extremely annoying. I either have to guess how much gas to put in and not get a complete fill up, or stand back and wait for the splash, then spend a couple minutes cleaning gasoline off the side of the car.

Any thoughts or advice?
Have you tried something as simple as setting the gas pump handle on the first notch or slowest flow rate? I have this problem on another vehicle that does this when there is only a high speed setting for the pump flow. When this happens it fills up the tank faster than the handle can sense to shut off...

Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Hiker
Modern vehicles have an onboard refueling vapor recovery system (ORVR), duplicating the efforts of the filling station fuel pump systems to recover vapors during refueling. Perhaps your Jag's ORVR system is malfunctioning and not allowing the filler hose sensor system to detect a full tank for the auto shut-off.

These ORVR systems have become so ubiquitous (since the late 1990s) that the US-EPA has allowed States to permit fuel filling station pumps to eliminate their nozzle based vapor recovery systems - as they're doing in Arizona.

Hopefully this helps.

Desert Hiker
Yep, I agree with this posting. The OP's comment that it's happened at various pumps and gas stations is a give away. Something's plugged or restricted in that filler neck area of his F type that's not sensing the back pressure from the pump hose.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

All my current Jags have the same issue with premature shutoff when filling. On a good day, the pump shuts off and I hang up the nozzle like ndabunka. Sounds like I need to have the local Jaguar dealer replace the filler neck.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Default Problem Identified and Solved

So I took my car to the dealership and after a few calls with Jaguar North America they identified that there was something wrong with the valve at the top of the gas tank. They had to replace the gas tank (which involved removing the subframe and associated things in the way. My car was at the dealership for two weeks. I finally got it back a couple days ago (on Friday). Timing was cutting it close as I was scheduled for a HPDE at Putnam Park this past weekend.

I'm happy to report that the problem is resolved (I had to fill up with gas after every 2nd or 3rd session on the track). Each time it filled to the top and didn't spill.

The interesting thing that happened though... they had to remove the rear breaks and when they re-installed them, they had a very hard time bleeding the brake lines. Thad to hook up the power-bleeder and diagnostic tool. They said they tried 5 times before they had a firm pedal... ?!? At least they got it fixed and I can say the brakes worked fantastic at the tack (I swapped out for Porterfield pads).