F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gateway module

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 05:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gateway module

I am getting stored codes (shown below) that I have cleared a couple of times and they come back. I have a gateway module in hand and want to replace it. From what I can gather from online parts pictures it is supposed to be around the left front wheel well area. I don't see it. Can someone give me some info on its exact location? Is it mounted under something? Out in the open and I'm blind? What?
Everything in the car works as it should as far as I can tell. The wipers are not doing anything unusual. They swipe when needed or go to continuous slow or even to fast depending on the rain intensity. No hiccups at all during multiple times out in the rain. With that I assume the misting sensors are working.
I would expect some drivability or control issues with the intermittent loss of comms with the ABS, chassis and PCM modules. But none have been happening.
I recently replaced the H8 battery because it would lose about half charge over just a day. I tested the other battery with a smart charger and it seems to be good and holding 100% charge over the same time that the big H8 battery would lose 50%. Battery problems are doubtful.
I'm hoping these codes are the result of a 'flakey' GWM.
So, change the GWM and proceed from there.

U0447-00 Intermittent - Invalid data received from gateway A
U0121-00 Intermittent - Lost communication with ABS control module

U012A-00 Intermittent - Lost communication with chassis module A
U0294-00 Intermittent - Lost communicaiton with PCM module
B13C2-86 Intermittent - Windshield misting sensor
B13C2-96 Intermittent - Windshield misting sensor

Old 03-15-2024, 10:00 AM

Over 300 views and no one knows where the gateway module is located.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Sorry no help but I must ask?
Why would you tempt fate with a perfectly operating car by changing a module? With Jaguar's famous electrical reputation I think you should thank your lucky stars you DON'T have any electrical problems!

I would hold on to the spare module until you do have problems.

Old 03-15-2024, 03:24 PM

clubairth, I do have some sort of electrical problem. I keep getting intermittent 'invalid data' and 'loss of communication' codes.
I clear them and the next time I scan they are back.
Since the first one listed is U0447-00 Intermittent - Invalid data received from gateway A, I want to swap the module to see if that corrects that intermittent code from coming back.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about using an oscilloscope? This saved me today -
Theory is the same for low and hi can bus.
Also looks like it is in the footwell. Not sure if it changes side if LHD or RHD models.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:59 PM

I don't have an oscilloscope. If I borrowed one, I wouldn't know how to use it. Yes, I watched to video but I wouldn't know what is causing any error if I saw it on the screen.
And since the errors are intermittent, I have no idea if they are caused by vibrations while driving, slightly corroded connections or something else or a combination of factors.
Thanks for the location idea. I'll check that out tomorrow.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I know you have codes that won't clear.
But does the car have any problems? It seems that it just throwing codes but you actually don't have any problems?
The car is working properly right?

Old 03-16-2024, 10:23 AM

Yes, as far as I can tell, everything does work. My worry is that the cause of the intermittent codes might get worse and develop into a real problem. I want to find out what it is and potentially remedy the situation.
I am a bit 'compulsive' when it comes to these things. Something just isn't right.

Old 03-16-2024, 04:09 PM

I've ordered SDD164 and a cable. Hopefully this will help me diagnose what is going on.

Old 03-17-2024, 10:12 AM
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Charge your battery. These cars throw tons of codes on low batteries. And, if you are using your code reader as you state, then its highly likely that you're inducing a battery drain. This is a well-known bug in the Jag software. If the triangle in the center dash remains illuminated, you've triggered the bug. Solution is to disconnect/reconnect the battery in the trunk. You'll need to reset the windows when you do this.

And, I wouldn't touch the electrical in this car until/if a true problem arose. Put your reader in a cabinet, and don't bring it out until you have something real to diagnose. And you might want to read a few threads down about someone who tried SDD164 and ended up bricking the entire car. This software is not like coding other cars. You can create real issues if you don't know exactly what you're doing and what hardware to use.

Last edited by diablo2112; 03-17-2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Understood. Just wanted to make sure that you really have a problem?

My 2014 XJR has a code that won't clear and the code number doesn't even show up in any listing? But my car is operating just fine and I don't want to rock the boat!
I can clear it and it comes right back. So now I expect to see it and maybe someday I will read what it's about?

Heed what diablo2112 posted above about SDD. I have had a working setup for several years and it has saved me and my friends thousands of dollars compared to using a dealer. I still don't like hooking it up because of all the disasters that have occurred to others. Feels like a crap shoot!

Again I would ignore the codes and keep the gateway as a backup if and when things go south.
I mean go drive that F-Type and enjoy it!

Old 03-17-2024, 02:57 PM

The H8 battery (the big one) is new. I changed it because my smart charger indicated it wasn't holding a good charge. I charged the old one to 100% and the next day it was at 55%. Did it again and the next day it was at 50%. The new battery is holding.
The same smart charger tells me the other battery is good.
I know about having to reset the windows having already replaced a battery.
I don't like waiting for a problem to pop up when I already know I'm, somehow, even intermittently, getting invalid data from the gateway A. I prefer to be proactive and find out what is causing this to happen and try to correct it.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Understood. Just wanted to make sure that you really have a problem?
Well, I think I have a problem if the gateway A is intermittently sending invalid data. There has to be a reason that is happening.