F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox fault , not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 07:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Gearbox fault , not starting

My 2017 F Type is having some unknown issue.
2 days ago i started the car normally and saw immediately " gearbox fault" and would not allow me to shift out of park. Shortly 2-3 mins after all the power cuts out.
I tried to jump start several times, the lights and dash comes on but no power to turn engine on. After many attempts I called a tow truck to tow to the SF Jaguar dealership.
When the tow truck arrived we gave it one last try to jump start, the car started ! but again " gearbox fault" and " stability control not available" .
We pushed the car unto the tow truck, off to the dealer it goes.

2 days later , our service advisor calls and said they still can't figure out why it won't start. The battery was good/ voltage proper. They charged it overnight. The lights come on but no engine start. He mentioned he can't even plug in the code reader to figure out what the errors are since car won't start... they are trying different things and said should have an answer for me tomorrow evening.

Yikes car is only 37,600+ miles. Any else had a similar issue or any idea what's going on with it?

I miss my baby =*(

Old 11-16-2021, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Interesting about the code reader, as when I use the SDD or others, you only need the Ignition ON...Not started to read/clear/edit. Only after certain procedures does it even tell you to cycle the ignition. hmmm

Good luck.

DC

The following users liked this post:
kpholsith (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 603 Likes on 408 Posts

My money is on a bad ground.

kpholsith (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:02 AM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Out of curiosity were you holding the brake and giving it gas?

if the ground is goo id guess it may have to do with the transmission, and change that fluid

kpholsith (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts

Hope it is still under warranty.
Good luck

kpholsith (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 08:09 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Has the dealer tried pulling the positive lead off the battery for a few minutes? I once had a gearbox fault. Rebooting the car fixed it.

kpholsith (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:41 PM

**Update.

The service advisor just called. It was a bad ground . the 2nd ground was bad , there's 4-5 apparently.

picking up the car now, no charges out of pocket. so relieved it's not something big.

Thanks guys !

mario41051 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 603 Likes on 408 Posts

One for the good guys! Congratulations.

The following 3 users liked this post by uncheel:
kpholsith (11-17-2021), Nodnarb (05-27-2022), ViperX100 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went through this same BS, dealer had car almost entire summer, towed several times, some even immediately after leaving dealership. Stated same issue sometimes just gearbox fault and other random error messages scrolling on dash (cruise, dsc, abs, etc). Dealer said same thing….could not plug in code reader blah blah blah. It ended up being the known defective rear differential. Funny I informed them that I believed this was the issue after the 5th or 6th time towed back to them. Still ignored me. Went to different dealership, only now you could hear the grinding coming from the rear at this point. Replaced differential at 30000 miles and never had that issue again, until just now. Cat converter failed and replaced got car back, but no change in exhaust sound with button or dynamic mode found they left the vacuum hose to the exhaust disconnected. Reconnected and sound back to normal but now last night got the gearbox fault/dsc not available….sounds like it’s starting all over again at 50,000 miles. So thinking either the diff is just replaced with the same diff with no modification for what the known defect is and now it’s going to need another diff or I’m thinking bearings are going in front wheel cause excessive dust on 1 rim and car seems little off with stability/front end. Funny thing is the dealer said they would inspect everything on my last service visit which I informed them to check brakes and replaced rear brakes as recommended from dealer. So I get my car back with scratched rim. Inform them (and had week left of rim coverage too) they tell me they couldn’t get an overtighten lug nut off band broke a lug, get car back car not driving rough call them week later inform them and also now check engine light on. Back in for cat replacement, then no exhaust sound, fix that myself, then gearbox fault/DSC not available and nkw here we go…no warranty remaining and problem after problem. 4th owned jag….so I guess I only have myself to blame….always something going wrong and never cheap to repair. Best advise, dump before warranty expires or you’ll soon understand why…..

QUOTE=kpholsith;2465858]My 2017 F Type is having some unknown issue.
2 days ago i started the car normally and saw immediately " gearbox fault" and would not allow me to shift out of park. Shortly 2-3 mins after all the power cuts out.
I tried to jump start several times, the lights and dash comes on but no power to turn engine on. After many attempts I called a tow truck to tow to the SF Jaguar dealership.
When the tow truck arrived we gave it one last try to jump start, the car started ! but again " gearbox fault" and " stability control not available" .
We pushed the car unto the tow truck, off to the dealer it goes.

2 days later , our service advisor calls and said they still can't figure out why it won't start. The battery was good/ voltage proper. They charged it overnight. The lights come on but no engine start. He mentioned he can't even plug in the code reader to figure out what the errors are since car won't start... they are trying different things and said should have an answer for me tomorrow evening.

Yikes car is only 37,600+ miles. Any else had a similar issue or any idea what's going on with it?

I miss my baby =*(

[/QUOTE]

Old 05-27-2022, 11:31 AM
Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to read about all your issues. What year and model do you drive? I had a differential replaced after recording the whine from inside the car. Service advisor immediately knew that a replacement diff was in order. I don’t know if a faulty differential would cause your issues. Maybe someone on this site much more knowledgeable than I can weigh in. Good luck with solving your problems.
Frank

Old 06-12-2022, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by frank barone
Sorry to read about all your issues. What year and model do you drive? I had a differential replaced after recording the whine from inside the car. Service advisor immediately knew that a replacement diff was in order. I don’t know if a faulty differential would cause your issues. Maybe someone on this site much more knowledgeable than I can weigh in. Good luck with solving your problems.
Frank

I have a 2017 S British Edition
The cause of the issue was the ground wire, they cleaned it and it was as good new after

Old 06-12-2022, 08:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Where are these ground wires located? Had the gearbox fault once last year after pulling the car out of the garage for a hand wash. It went away after several start attempts and has never returned. Would like to clean the grounds as a precaution.