Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault / Shifts Out of Drive / Can't Shift Into D or P or R

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Anyone have the TSB with vin range affected by this problem?
I have not seen a TSB on this issue.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox fault

[QUOTE=New2Jag;899986]I have had this issue three times now, figured I would ask around, see if anyone else has had the same issue. Not concerned yet... could just be a combination of a few things.

Here's what I got:

Started car, put it in reverse... car died. Drive indicator on the dash was flashing (R). Tried to put it in park. Could not. Tried to put it in drive. Could not. Turned car off and back on - worked fine.

Same thing a day later. But when I turned the car back on, it said in yellow in center dash (Gearbox Fault). Same thing. Couldn't put it in drive or reverse. Cycled power on car three times, nothing. Fourth time was the charm.

Anyone else [QUOTE]m[/QUOTE

I have a 2013 xjl doing the same thing except earlier it stopped and hasn't wanted to move since any ideas.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,456 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I'd start by checking the state of your battery.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:21 AM
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
FWIW, I had a gearbox fault a couple of months ago. The car started, but wouldn't shift into any gear. Fortunately, I was at home and not in a bind. I restarted/retried a couple of times - same issue. However, about 30 minutes later, every worked. Nonetheless, I called to dealer. They said there was a bulletin to replace a brake pressure switch which could cause the problem. I was in and out in 30 minutes. I haven't had the fault recur. Since you've had several runs at it, I'd expect it would have been in the string of attempts your dealer has tried. But, just in case....
i believe this is the issue, i never use my parking brake. Used it the first time after i would guess a year or so not using it once, same thing happened for a few days after....cleared up and hasn't done it since but the 2 are related for sure. And i never use the parking brake to store the car for more then a day, had some bad experiences with electronic parking brakes in the past for sticking.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
If it's anything like all the other modern Jaguars, I'm going to guess it's something to do with the battery...
II also the comfort control module if that goes out you'll have that same issue I just had that issue a couple of days ago if your comfort control module is disconnected or there's a wire burnt out the car will not shift out of gear and you'll get the gearbox fault it also happens on my VW Passat I don't know what's going on with these European cars these days but without that comfort control for some strange reason it doesn't want to crank and it won't shift out of gear