F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Interest: Leatherique on my F-type, impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024 | 06:05 PM
|
Default General Interest: Leatherique on my F-type, impressions

As part of the baselining of my new car I wanted to do a leather treatment. Originally I had narrowed it down to Leatherique, Autoglym, and Lexol. I was really interested in Leatherique, but it felt a little less "approachable" than the others. It seemed like more of an investment across the board, time and money, so I had kinda ruled it out. Then Autoglym all of a sudden became less available in Canada due to Canadian Tire being in the process of dropping the product, and I read that Lexol is questionable a bit these days given formulation changes (taken over by the Chinese).

All this to say, I decided to give the Leatherique a go. It is some work for sure, but I definitely have the feeling this product is going to pay off over the long term in terms of the quality it brings. The leather definitely felt a bit more supple at the end of the process. Can't say it looked any different, but yeah, we're talking new leather here. I saw a guy with a Porsche that had 100,000 miles on it. He was using Leatherique and the seats looked showroom. They really did. I figured there had to be something to this product after seeing a few testimonials like that.

I didn't really like the first stage too much (Rejuvenator), but the Pristine Clean second phase of it was an absolute breeze.

Overall it was actually quite an easy process. Now that I have some experience with it it seems a little less daunting than at the beginning.

I can't lie, after the rejuvenator it had me wondering if I was gonna be stuck with a 80s/90s high shine Armourall look ;-) Thankfully the Pristine Clean works fast to break that down and deliver the beautiful matte look back.

It's a very satisfying process, I must say. I like it.

It is a bit expensive I think. I believe I used more product than I needed to, so next time I will try and exercise a bit more restraint. My tipping over the Pristine clean and losing 1/4 of the bottle didn't help, but we won't talk about that ;-)

In any case, thought that I would put my impressions of the product forward in case anyone might find that helpful in any way. I know I found the comments of others super helpful when trying to identify the leather care system I was going to go with.

Cheers

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024 | 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

I have use Leatherique on other cars with GREAT results.

If your interior is old, the Rejuvenator treatment benefits from a LONG time 'soak'...a week if you can stay away from the car long enough.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024 | 07:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I have use Leatherique on other cars with GREAT results.

If your interior is old, the Rejuvenator treatment benefits from a LONG time 'soak'...a week if you can stay away from the car long enough.
Was it hard to take the Rejuvenator off after a week? Given that the car is new I only left it on for something like 36 hours...Probably too long really for the state of my leather ;-)

Old 05-25-2024 | 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Leatherique is a SYSTEM...Follow the process they recommend.

The week-long rejuvinate was on an older 1980s car with real Connolly leather...not coated like modern cars

Old 05-25-2024 | 09:05 PM

I bought a bottle of liqui Moly leather care to meet free shipping from fcpeuro, it was about 10bucks and had great result on the 10years old leather.

Great result means non sticky, no strong scent, easy to apply and absorb, matte finish once wear in. And it meets all that, I’m a fan of their engine oil and treatments, did not expect the leather care to be exactly what i needed.

Another one would be leather food recommended and used by a upholstery shop i used, similar to the liqui moly iirc but never able to find it retail.

Worst i have used was leather honey, sticky, hard to apply, sticky, doesn’t absorb quickly.

Old 05-25-2024 | 09:54 PM

Over the years I have restored and maintained a lot of leather with Leatherique products and while I still don't like the prices, I can't argue with the effectiveness. There is nothing better than Rejuvinator to soften and float up contaminants, and unlike some products, it doesn't darken light-colored leather.

In older cars or in new cars that have lost their leather smell, the Zaino "Leather in a Bottle" has a nice scent, and the Chemical Guys "Leather Scent Extreme Odor Eliminator" really does make a car interior smell like a leather shop when lightly spritzed on the carpet under the seats.

One of my U.K. forum mentors favors Gliptone, which he says "smells like an old English gentleman's club." I personally like the Zaino better, but if you'd like to refresh the leather scent in your car, it's worth trying Zaino and Gliptone to see which you prefer.

In my older Jags, I've been alternating Leatherique with Zaino with good results.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-05-2024 at 12:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (06-09-2024), JgaXkr (10-13-2024)
Old 05-26-2024 | 06:08 AM
Veteran Member

One more comment (topic drift?)

At one time Connolly Leather Hide Food was the Go-To leather maintainer. For a while, it was difficult to find. Seems as if the govt wasn't happy labeling it as food.

The interim 'fix'?

Look for generic Saddle Soap...found some in a Dollar Store. While no pretty odors, a periodic application DOES maintain the quality, softness and feel of leather. I still use the saddle soap on our steering wheel. It feels SO SOFT after application.

And, it makes the skin on my hands soft, too.

Old 05-26-2024 | 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
One more comment (topic drift?)

At one time Connolly Leather Hide Food was the Go-To leather maintainer. For a while, it was difficult to find. Seems as if the govt wasn't happy labeling it as food.

The interim 'fix'?

Look for generic Saddle Soap...found some in a Dollar Store. While no pretty odors, a periodic application DOES maintain the quality, softness and feel of leather. I still use the saddle soap on our steering wheel. It feels SO SOFT after application.

And, it makes the skin on my hands soft, too.
i think that is the product the shop recommended, i referred to it as leather food in my previous post, i wasn’t able to find it at any retailer!

Old 10-12-2024 | 10:41 PM

I have not found an answer to this online and wondered if anyone can shed some light. If you are using the Leatherique on a seat with contrasting stitching, does it change the color of the stitching? Last thing I would wanna do is take my jet seats with red stitching and have the red stitching become darker or change color.

Old 10-13-2024 | 03:22 AM
|

Originally Posted by Wildething70
I have not found an answer to this online and wondered if anyone can shed some light. If you are using the Leatherique on a seat with contrasting stitching, does it change the color of the stitching? Last thing I would wanna do is take my jet seats with red stitching and have the red stitching become darker or change color.
Hey man,

All I can say is that my 2024 R has the Mars Red and Ebony Interior. As part of that it has red stitching on the red leather parts and deviating red stitching in the black/ebony areas. I did not see any change or problems. I will do a second treatment over the winter in the garage, which was recommended to me by the Leatherique Canada guy given that this is a time of year where it gets quite dry. I run a heat pump in my garage.

In any case, I hope this helps alleviate any concerns you might have. That has been my experience so far after a single treatment. The product is all natural in its makeup.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by DMeister:
Carbuff2 (10-14-2024), Wildething70 (10-13-2024)