F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a baseline dyno questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Getting a baseline dyno questions

I'm scheduled to get a baseline dyno on my V8S tomorrow morning and wondered if there are any special tricks to getting this done?

I'm guessing a 4th gear run with the traction control off and dynamic mode on.

Anything else I need to do?

Thanks,

Walt

Last edited by WaltB; 08-21-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
I'm scheduled to get a baseline dyno on my V8S tomorrow morning and wondered if there are any special tricks to getting this done?

I'm guessing a 4th gear run with the traction control off and dynamic mode on.

Anything else I need to do?

Thanks,

Walt

There is a dyno mode I believe but not sure how to get there. Your operator should know but other than that its the basic process. I didnt watch how they hooked my car up unfortunately.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by vic55
There is a dyno mode I believe but not sure how to get there. Your operator should know but other than that its the basic process. I didnt watch how they hooked my car up unfortunately.
What were your numbers?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dremorg
What were your numbers?

447whp/401tq (dont have sheet but I think these are the numbers) on a low reader; DynoDynamics. But I also heard Jag actually overrates their bhp/sae. I did a shelf tune and gained 35 peak wheel and 40 peak tq along with strong sweet spot gains. I used OE tuning who tunes all my cars and I need to get the sheet from him. I can definitely tell the car jumps better than stock from a dig and roll and his throttle response improvements are great too. i did the tune with around 150 miles and now I have 700- very happy.

The following users liked this post:
shift (08-22-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

447whp/401tq (dont have sheet but I think these are the numbers) on a low reader; DynoDynamics. But I also heard Jag actually overrates their bhp/sae. I did a shelf tune and gained 35 peak wheel and 40 peak tq along with strong sweet spot gains. I used OE tuning who tunes all my cars and I need to get the sheet from him. I can definitely tell the car jumps better than stock from a dig and roll and his throttle response improvements are great too. i did the tune with around 150 miles and now I have 700- very happy.

Just curious, how does the rear wheel hp relate to engine hp... or otherwise, what would the engine hp be.
Also, are you concerned that Jaguar would refuse warranty if anything unexpected happened to the engine.. or is the tune not detectable.?
Lawrence

shift (08-22-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 PM

You now have 700 what? Hp?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Vic,

So far I have talked to two different Dyno operators and both have never done Jags. They also had no idea if there was a dyno "mode" or any particular setup needed or required for an F Type.

Question- Was your dyno an AWD dyno? The reason I ask is that I have heard that in a RWD dyno the ecu or TCU will pull power. But then maybe that was just for the F Type?
I've also read about pulling certain fuses?

Bottom line is there does not seem to be a residential expert on F Type dynos and the proper procedures to get valid results. Thus my thread.

Walt

Old 08-21-2014, 07:21 PM

I think he is saying he has 700 miles on the vehicle and is very happy.

Dremorg (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 07:40 PM

Thanks. Lol

Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Just curious, how does the rear wheel hp relate to engine hp... or otherwise, what would the engine hp be.
Also, are you concerned that Jaguar would refuse warranty if anything unexpected happened to the engine.. or is the tune not detectable.?
Lawrence
There are many ways to try and equate whp to crank hp but I dont know a perfect way. Some people use 20% drivetrain loss and others use less based on the type of transmission and its efficiency. I look more at the numbers before and after the tune based on the dyno at that time in place.

As for the tune and the warranty, I understand the implications of "pay to play". I have some good friends in the right places at dealers so if something happened I am comfortable. But I go into this type of modding understanding that nothing is absolute when it comes to coverage after mods have occurred. I do trust my tuner though and he has done about 10 of my cars with multiple tunes on each. We data logged the tune to confirm proper timing and the air fuel ratios were rather conservative/safe post tune as well.

Vic,

So far I have talked to two different Dyno operators and both have never done Jags. They also had no idea if there was a dyno "mode" or any particular setup needed or required for an F Type.

Question- Was your dyno an AWD dyno? The reason I ask is that I have heard that in a RWD dyno the ecu or TCU will pull power. But then maybe that was just for the F Type?
I've also read about pulling certain fuses?

Bottom line is there does not seem to be a residential expert on F Type dynos and the proper procedures to get valid results. Thus my thread.

Walt
Let me see what info I can get from the operator. I know we did not pull any fuses and this was a RWD dyno.

I think he is saying he has 700 miles on the vehicle and is very happy.
Yes this is the truth.

Mulmur (08-21-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Regarding warranty claims, my understanding is the manufacturer still has to show direct cause in order to deny claim. So for example you ecu tune and there's an issue with the power tailgate not working...there's no direct link and the warranty claim is fine. But if it's something related to emissions, well then it's gray area.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Sweet picture!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:27 AM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

There are many ways to try and equate whp to crank hp but I dont know a perfect way. Some people use 20% drivetrain loss and others use less based on the type of transmission and its efficiency. I look more at the numbers before and after the tune based on the dyno at that time in place.

As for the tune and the warranty, I understand the implications of "pay to play". I have some good friends in the right places at dealers so if something happened I am comfortable. But I go into this type of modding understanding that nothing is absolute when it comes to coverage after mods have occurred. I do trust my tuner though and he has done about 10 of my cars with multiple tunes on each. We data logged the tune to confirm proper timing and the air fuel ratios were rather conservative/safe post tune as well.

Let me see what info I can get from the operator. I know we did not pull any fuses and this was a RWD dyno.

Yes this is the truth.
Can you give us some info on the tune. What have you gained power/speed wise please? Stasts/graphs appreciated and can you name your tuner if so. I am interested in perhaps tuning my V8S.

Cheers

Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 PM

If you can wait a few weeks I should have that information for you. I am currently coordinating with Eurochargded in Houston to do a 1.5 psi pulley and tune installation around the middle of next month. We both want to get a before and after AWD dyno also so that should validate the gains. Once done I will post my initial impressions as well as dyno plots on this forum.

Walt (V8S)

Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by alexg
Can you give us some info on the tune. What have you gained power/speed wise please? Stasts/graphs appreciated and can you name your tuner if so. I am interested in perhaps tuning my V8S.

Cheers

I mentioned above my baseline and gains: BL is 447/401 (hp/tq) and 35 peak hp gain and 40 tq gain but the gains in the sweet spot rpms were better. I dont have the chart yet; my tuner is supposed to send it but I saw the graph on the machine. Its hard to elaborate via text how the power gains feel but if the car was rated 8/10 in power, I'd say its now a 9/10ths car. The other part that I really like about the tune is the improvement of the throttle response. The V8 already has reasonable response time with no s/c lag but this tune brings the throttle alive quicker.

The tuner is OE Tuning:

https://oetuning.com/?SID=65g7k14i5g8hvvooj7u1825an7

Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I mentioned above my baseline and gains: BL is 447/401 (hp/tq) and 35 peak hp gain and 40 tq gain but the gains in the sweet spot rpms were better. I dont have the chart yet; my tuner is supposed to send it but I saw the graph on the machine. Its hard to elaborate via text how the power gains feel but if the car was rated 8/10 in power, I'd say its now a 9/10ths car. The other part that I really like about the tune is the improvement of the throttle response. The V8 already has reasonable response time with no s/c lag but this tune brings the throttle alive quicker.

The tuner is OE Tuning:

https://oetuning.com/?SID=65g7k14i5g8hvvooj7u1825an7
The defining characteristic of a mechanically driven supercharger is that there is no lag. At very low engine rpm it won't be turning fast enough to provide boost if you stamp on the throttle, but this isn't lag as such.

When you say "sweet spot" what do you mean? There is a peak at 3500rpm on the coupe, but it's basically a tabletop from 2500-5000rpm.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
The defining characteristic of a mechanically driven supercharger is that there is no lag. At very low engine rpm it won't be turning fast enough to provide boost if you stamp on the throttle, but this isn't lag as such.

When you say "sweet spot" what do you mean? There is a peak at 3500rpm on the coupe, but it's basically a tabletop from 2500-5000rpm.

I mean usable hp and tq rpm ranges--- circa 2500 to 5000 for both tq and hp.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Okay. You can only ever use Torque, as this is what the engine produces (Lie to Children Version: Horsepower is top speed, Torque is how quickly you get there).

Jaguar have chosen to limit the boost (and hence Torque) so that Torque is constant from 2500-5000rpm. You can get A LOT more Torque if you remove this limit and fuel the engine to match. But you will have really sh*tty gas mileage.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Okay. You can only ever use Torque, as this is what the engine produces (Lie to Children Version: Horsepower is top speed, Torque is how quickly you get there).

Jaguar have chosen to limit the boost (and hence Torque) so that Torque is constant from 2500-5000rpm. You can get A LOT more Torque if you remove this limit and fuel the engine to match. But you will have really sh*tty gas mileage.

Not exactly true... torque and horsepower are NOT mutually exclusive. You are producing and using torque and hp at all RPMs. So when you say that Jaguar is limiting the torque...they are also limiting the horsepower at that given RPM level.

There is a mathematical relationship between the two based on the following equation:

HP = (Torque X RPM)/5,252

Similarly, torque can be derrived by the folowing equation:

TQ = (Horsepower X 5,252)/ RPM

This is why you will see on a properly scaled dyno graph that HP and TQ intersect at 5,252 RPM.

So getting back to the assertion that Jaguar is "limiting the torque"...the literature shows that the F-Type R is making a peak of 502 lbs-ft of torque @ 2,500 RPM. Let's say they maintain that torque through 5K RPM. The relative horsepower would be the following based on 502lbs-ft of torque:

2,500 RPM: 239hp
3,000 RPM: 287hp
3,500 RPM: 335hp
4,000 RPM: 382hp
4,500 RPM: 430hp
5,000 RPM: 478hp

I don't disagree that Jaguar is limiting torque, but they are also limiting HP in order to accomplish their goals (probably to protect the longevity of the transmission and reduce warranty repairs). For instance if the car was allowed to make 30hp more at 4K RPM, the corresponding increase in torque would bump it from 502lbs-ft to 541lbs-ft.

Anyway, these are some great cars Jaguar are building and they look as good as they go! I might have to get one.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

No. Horsepower is a Figure of Merit calculated from the torque produced at a given rpm. Not the other way round.
No engine produces Horsepower. Rather, it is a measure of what you can do with the Torque it actually produces.
Producing Torque at higher rpm is good as it means you can exploit gearing to multiply the Torque and do more with it.

So: If you have 2 engines with identical peak Torque, but one produces this peak at twice the rpm of the other, it will be able to do more work as a any gear ratio you use to couple it to your load will be higher and hence have commensurately higher Torque Multiplication.

HTH

Last edited by F-typical; 08-22-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Clarity
GT42R (04-02-2015)

Quick Reply: Getting a baseline dyno questions