F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to buy an F-Type - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 06:03 PM
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Getting ready to buy an F-Type - advice needed

Hello folks. I already own a 1969 E-Type (Series 2) Coupe and I'm seriously considering trading my current daily drivers for a 2018 F-Type. I've been enamored with the F-Type since I saws one last year at our local Concours. This year I got to talk to the owner and he strongly suggested that if I was going to get one that 1) I find a good low mileage used one ("let someone else eat the initial depreciation") and 2) that I only consider buying an "R" given AWD, the V8, and its ability retain its value.

With all that in mind, I've been searching and may have found a local 2018 that meets all his criteria with 11k miles. The question (before I test drive it and inspect it) is, what specifically should I be looking for in an F-Type, specifically and R version? Before I bought my E-Type, I put out the same kind of question and got a lot of great advice that I used in reviewing the Jag before I purchased it.

If I have one concern it is that this will be my daily driver. The wife has a very nice crossover SUV that we can use with guests/family, so this is would be my car to run errands, etc.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:19 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Only point I'd take issue with is the idea of buying a R (post 16 for AWD with the V8) for depreciation purposes. Correspondingly, you'll also pay more, spend more on insurance and gas as well...so I'd argue the depreciation discussion is essentially moot. Hell, that argument applies to just about any car you buy for that matter. It seems you're buying the car, as most of us do, because the car emotionally talks to you. That said, be honest with why you want the car and select with those factors in mind. I knew I wanted an R, but don't daily mine. Honestly, I might have gone with the V6 if I drove it every day....all the time. The R is superb, but can be a bit much (and that depends on your commute and driving style) when surrounded by lots of heavy traffic. And congrats on the E Type, pictures welcome.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:25 PM

Since you want the truth....LOL. I like the idea of AWD and I'm willing to pay for that, a V8 sounds impressive with 550 hp, but honestly isn't necessary. The truth is, the R is red and so is my E-Type and I like the idea of two cars in my garage that are red!!!

The following 8 users liked this post by TX69XKE:
Canardsj (08-02-2021), giomgio (07-27-2021), JacksonvilleJag (07-27-2021), mja xkr (07-27-2021), petrmj1 (07-27-2021), Philipintexas (07-30-2021), phobman (07-29-2021), Steineronbass (08-08-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:36 PM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I just bought an 2018 F-type R. Its still under warranty, not to mention free maintenance, so there shouldn't be anything major to look for. Just look at the condition of wheels/tires/front spoilers to see if the car has been abused. Also, if its not from a Jaguar dealer, make sure it hasn't been modified, even a "tune" could void the warranty. Getting it checked out by a dealer for those kinds of things would ensure you are good to go.

Lastly, know what options the car could have and what it does have to make sure there's nothing you would want that's missing.

The following users liked this post:
Steineronbass (08-08-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:37 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Gawd, that's a beautiful thing. Will be epic to sit between old and new in the garage and sip on a good single malt...with both ticking over after putting some miles on 'em. I think someone bemoaned the lack of proper (Harry from Harry's Garage maybe) louvers on the F Type's hood...might have been on to something.

TX69XKE (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:43 PM

Can anyone point to a site that might have a list of all the available options from 2018?

Old 07-26-2021, 08:55 PM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

I’d suggest building a new one on the JLR website and that should give you an idea of all the options… I don’t think the options have changed much in the last few years.

I love the JLR V8 and had that engine in another car (Range R) and when I started looking for a f type, I initially looked at the V8 but went with the V6 for a few reasons….my car is a daily driver and I like the 23 vs. 15 mpg, I could spend $2k and get it up to 450 hp and the V6 is little lighter so the numbers aren’t too far off.

With the money I saved on the V6, I put it towards stuff to make mine unique… factory fixed spoiler, Project 7 grill, sound system, a few mods, and a set of forged wheels and tires.

TX69XKE (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/deta...OT-ITM-469621/

Here is the config for the 18MY R in Australia. It had the horizontal vent blades at the front. i'd wrap them in black if I had one as I preferred the open look of the SVR or the vertical blades.

The exterior is easy to upgrade but the interior can look cheap in some builds. I'd look for pano roof, extended leather in the interior, interior black pack, and the nicer leather in the seats with contrast stitching. Interior trim is a matter of taste, personally I'd take the dark hex over anything as it looks classy but modern. I have ambient lighting (dont use it), configurable dynamics in our XE (dont use it), DAB (dont use it). Cross traffic detection would be good (dont have it in the F Type).

Old 07-27-2021, 07:39 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by TX69XKE
Can anyone point to a site that might have a list of all the available options from 2018?
Here is a list of options for the 2018. Note that lane departure warning became standard equipment mid year 2018. Not sure if it was available before then.

https://www.edmunds.com/jaguar/f-typ...eatures-specs/

Old 07-27-2021, 08:08 AM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Make sure you get 2 sets of keys! Also make sure the spare key is inside the key fob! I have a 2016 R Type with 17,000 mile and no problems yet! Your 69 would look great sitting next to my Italian Racing Red Convertible!! It sure is a great looking Jag Coupe!! Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by TX69XKE
Here are the F-Type brochures, which are a good resource for checking options.
Auto-Brochures.com|Jaguar Car PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info E-Pace F-Pace I-Pace E-Type F-Type S-Type X-Type XE XF XJ XJS XK

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
NoZ (07-28-2021), TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:08 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I am from the other spectrum.

I purchased the 4 cylinder 2.0, 2018 car.

Compromised on the transmission. Always drove an English B with the 95 hp four, standard transmission. The Dear Wife drives the adult car, a Ram HD diesel.

J Clarkson talked about high horsepower v8 cars with two wheel drive as sort of inappropriate on city streets. Just too much. You cannot let just anyone drive it. Awful in rain.

I would prefer more horsepower sometimes maybe. But, my car is wonderful in the rain. Also handles like a dream.

As I am retired the car is a grocery getter. Stop light derby's is the only negative. I even like the automatic transmission.

Or does this just mean I am aging out of the sports car world. ...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tomkatb:
Steineronbass (08-08-2021), TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:42 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomkatb
IJ Clarkson talked about high horsepower v8 cars with two wheel drive as sort of inappropriate on city streets. Just too much. You cannot let just anyone drive it. Awful in rain.
I find the F-Type pretty docile if you drive it gently, certainly not the handful my XKR was. Not sure how much that's down to the AWD - I've read that under "normal" circumstances all the power goes to the back anyway, and the power delivery is gradual and predictable unless you start flooring it. ***** cat or snarling puss - it's both!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
Steineronbass (08-08-2021), TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:24 PM
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't prioritize getting a CPO from the dealer. An extra year of warranty isn't worth the additional cost, and any "peace of mind" from the certification process is complete nonsense, as they don't check anything on those cars.

Instead I'd find a non-lease return car from a private party who can tell me the actual history of the car. Maybe that's a big ask/pipe dream, but that's what I'd do differently.

Also, my detailer was able to tell me things about my car that my mechanic couldn't...

TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:49 PM
Received 308 Likes on 199 Posts

I've had my 69 E since 1989, and by chance I stumbled onto my 2017 M/T last fall (2020). It was a 26K off-lease v6, pano roof, auto climate, parking assist. I relied on the Carfax report, as well as having the selling dealer put it up on the rack to check it out. It still had 18 months left on factory warranty. Test drive turned up no issues, and I was in love (still am). What my pre-purchase research failed to turn up was the saga of the clutches. The selling dealer had replaced the clutch and provided all the relevant work orders and parts invoices, no gripe there. I'm a lifelong M/T driver and my 98 Civic had 270000 miles on its OE clutch. Dealer shrugged off the "premature" clutch wear as due to poor clutch use by PO. Shocked to read the clutch thread on this forum, after purchase, some MT cars not even making it home from dealer before clutch crapped out. Turns out selling dealer did install the new and improved 4th gen clutch. All is well. This is great place to find info and be sure to check out the Known issues sticky at the top of this forum. I've also read here that there is no standard for CPO , each dealer making that determination "independently". I've been fortunate to have a great local JLR dealer, who took care of a battery issue and an interior lighting issue under warranty. If the car isn't all you hoped for and it doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to walk away.

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
NigelW (07-29-2021), TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:17 AM

Wow, small world Valerie. I'm the same guy on Jag-Lovers that you asked about the flasher relay question on your E-Type (BobK). I will keep my eyes open when I get to see the R. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could have an E-Type!!!! Amazing car!
Mine is a 2017 SVR and I bought it at 8.5k mileage around 6 weeks ago, it's my daily driver but I also bring her on track 2-3 times a week. From your original post, I don't see any factor that may stop you from buying a R. Financially you have no concern, as long as the car is in solid condition, you will buy it. To provide some inputs on your concern for using F-Type as a daily driver and running errand, it works PERFECTLY for me as a daily driver, the trunk is more spacial than you will expect, there will be no problem for a weekly grocery shopping for a 4-people family to say it at least.

TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my pals 2014 conv f type s (6 cyl) and have had it one year now and so pleased with it. I live in central florida and have all service records from jag since new and if you are getting the type r for weekend toy you can’t go wrong it’s a monster for damn sure. Have it checked out but when you see the car it will be clear if owner took care of it and just have it gone over and key is service records but it’s amazing car and traffic around here is nuts and I am pleased with the power and handling with the s model. Good luck and if you get it post us a pic of the r for us.

TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 09:50 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Make sure you get two fobs and check they both have emergency keys inside!

TX69XKE (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
I've had my 69 E since 1989, and by chance I stumbled onto my 2017 M/T last fall (2020). It was a 26K off-lease v6, pano roof, auto climate, parking assist. I relied on the Carfax report, as well as having the selling dealer put it up on the rack to check it out. It still had 18 months left on factory warranty. Test drive turned up no issues, and I was in love (still am). What my pre-purchase research failed to turn up was the saga of the clutches. The selling dealer had replaced the clutch and provided all the relevant work orders and parts invoices, no gripe there. I'm a lifelong M/T driver and my 98 Civic had 270000 miles on its OE clutch. Dealer shrugged off the "premature" clutch wear as due to poor clutch use by PO. Shocked to read the clutch thread on this forum, after purchase, some MT cars not even making it home from dealer before clutch crapped out. Turns out selling dealer did install the new and improved 4th gen clutch. All is well. This is great place to find info and be sure to check out the Known issues sticky at the top of this forum. I've also read here that there is no standard for CPO , each dealer making that determination "independently". I've been fortunate to have a great local JLR dealer, who took care of a battery issue and an interior lighting issue under warranty. If the car isn't all you hoped for and it doesn't feel right, don't be afraid to walk away.
Your car is stunning. Glad to see you on forum here. Another Fox Valley Brit here!

Quick Reply: Getting ready to buy an F-Type - advice needed