F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to drive an F-Type what should I pay attention to?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Going to drive an F-Type what should I pay attention to?

This weekend I am planning on test driving an F-Type convertible with a manual. From my experience, anytime you test drive a car you are not familiar with, it can be easy to get overwhelmed by the experience, with everything being so different from whatever I might be driving now.

With that in mind, are there any particular nits or annoyances that you have found in your ownership experience that you think I should pay attention to? For example, typical squeaks and rattles, annoying ergonomics or special features?

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
BOulderGT3 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I'd suggest driving it in normal and dynamic modes, it has a different personality depending on settings. Some manual transmission cars have had clutch issues, JLR is working on improving the design, and some on here are working on aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Enjoy the test drive, let us know how you like it.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by shappy
This weekend I am planning on test driving an F-Type convertible with a manual.
Early clutches slipped and many were replaced under warranty, but there never was a recall. Push it at least couple times to make sure it isn't slipping.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I'd suggest driving it in normal and dynamic modes, it has a different personality depending on settings. Some manual transmission cars have had clutch issues, JLR is working on improving the design, and some on here are working on aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Enjoy the test drive, let us know how you like it.
Originally Posted by SinF
Early clutches slipped and many were replaced under warranty, but there never was a recall. Push it at least couple times to make sure it isn't slipping.
Thanks, I will be sure to pay attention to these issues.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

If the car is equipped with Perelli PZero tires, these are unsuitable to RWD MT car and will have to be replaced with Michelin Pilot 4S. With PZeros I could do a rolling burnout just going from second to third and getting on a throttle. Stock tires hook up about as well as drifting tires.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
If the car is equipped with Perelli PZero tires, these are unsuitable to RWD MT car and will have to be replaced with Michelin Pilot 4S. With PZeros I could do a rolling burnout just going from second to third and getting on a throttle. Stock tires hook up about as well as drifting tires.
I just put the P4S tires on my car, replacing PSS tires, and I can definitely feel the improvement, amazing tires!

Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This weekend I am planning on test driving an F-Type convertible with a manual. From my experience, anytime you test drive a car you are not familiar with, it can be easy to get overwhelmed by the experience, with everything being so different from whatever I might be driving now.

With that in mind, are there any particular nits or annoyances that you have found in your ownership experience that you think I should pay attention to? For example, typical squeaks and rattles, annoying ergonomics or special features?

Thanks!
Test drive it over some bumpy road with the top up and top down. It's a rigid structure but make sure a little mirror shimmy doesn't bother you.

If it's used, touch every piece of rubberized interior trim. If it's remotely tacky it is going to need to be replaced.

Bring some source music you like on either a CD or USB to play on the sound system.

You're in Boynton so I assume you're at either Palm Beach or Alpine Jaguar. I'd get the car a lift to look for any salt that can trash the electronic connections over time time.

Other than that, I think these cars are simple and not very stressed. Easy to buy.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by BOulderGT3
Test drive it over some bumpy road with the top up and top down. It's a rigid structure but make sure a little mirror shimmy doesn't bother you.

If it's used, touch every piece of rubberized interior trim. If it's remotely tacky it is going to need to be replaced.

Bring some source music you like on either a CD or USB to play on the sound system.

You're in Boynton so I assume you're at either Palm Beach or Alpine Jaguar. I'd get the car a lift to look for any salt that can trash the electronic connections over time time.

Other than that, I think these cars are simple and not very stressed. Easy to buy.
Yeah, I am going to Palm Beach. Going to be test driving a pre-owned one, but that is just to see how I like the car. Would be placing a factory order if I decide to pull the trigger.

As for the rear view mirror, trust me, it can't be worse that how the mirror vibrates on my Miata, but I have pretty much gotten used to that.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I am going to Palm Beach. Going to be test driving a pre-owned one, but that is just to see how I like the car. Would be placing a factory order if I decide to pull the trigger.

As for the rear view mirror, trust me, it can't be worse that how the mirror vibrates on my Miata, but I have pretty much gotten used to that.
Awesome dealer. They have exceeded every expectation from sales through service.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

If it's an auto and you put it in manual mode, the stick is backwards. down is up and up is down. Just use the flappy paddles. once in manual mode, hold in the up paddle for three seconds to switch back to auto.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 PM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

"... it can't be worse that how the mirror vibrates on my Miata...."
It's possible that the Miata is simply going through "the change" and needs its ovaries removed.

BruceTheQuail (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If you are ordering a new one, the clutch and sound system problems should not be an issue.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
"... it can't be worse that how the mirror vibrates on my Miata...."
It's possible that the Miata is simply going through "the change" and needs its ovaries removed.
Zing! LOL

Old 09-20-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by BOulderGT3
Awesome dealer. They have exceeded every expectation from sales through service.
That is good to hear, especially after the pathetic treatment I got when test driving a car at Champion Porsche yesterday.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 359 Posts

That is good to hear, especially after the pathetic treatment I got when test driving a car at Champion Porsche yesterday.
Funny. When I was looking at my F-Type, I left the dealer, having decided it was too far past my budget and drove straight to an Audi dealer where I was going to buy a brand new S5 Sportback that they had on their lot. I wsa ready to pull the trigger and be done (I had already test driven one and decided it would be a good, sensible car). I walked into the dealer and no one seemed to care. I finally asked someone to look at the specific car I wanted and he said it was too close to closing time. I went home, dreamed about the damn F-Type all night and picked it up the next morning, so I guess things worked out!

scm (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Funny. When I was looking at my F-Type, I left the dealer, having decided it was too far past my budget and drove straight to an Audi dealer where I was going to buy a brand new S5 Sportback that they had on their lot. I wsa ready to pull the trigger and be done (I had already test driven one and decided it would be a good, sensible car). I walked into the dealer and no one seemed to care. I finally asked someone to look at the specific car I wanted and he said it was too close to closing time. I went home, dreamed about the damn F-Type all night and picked it up the next morning, so I guess things worked out!
Even having never driven an F-Type, I would say you made the right choice. I used to have a '14 S4 and, while it was a great car that could put up some quick numbers, it was not very exciting. Plus, with the motor hanging out over the front axle, it really didn't like to be pushed hard in corners. Yes, it could do what you asked of it, but it wasn't very happy doing it. Just not very playful.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Even having never driven an F-Type, I would say you made the right choice. I used to have a '14 S4 and, while it was a great car that could put up some quick numbers, it was not very exciting. Plus, with the motor hanging out over the front axle, it really didn't like to be pushed hard in corners. Yes, it could do what you asked of it, but it wasn't very happy doing it. Just not very playful.
Well we can assure you that the FTYPE is PLENTY playful!

Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Porsche dealers don't trade in cars, they trade in Stockholm Syndrome.

scm (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

As others have said, look at the rear view mirror. But not for shaking, watch for the constabulary. FTs get to extra legal speeds pretty quickly.

scm (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Seriously, what you should pay attention to is your heart. I listened to my brain when I opted for the Ghibli over the F-Type in 2015 and sorely regretted it for the next 2 1/2 years--thought I needed a 4-seater, but decided that I really don't.

The following 2 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
Carbuff2 (09-21-2018), scm (09-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Going to drive an F-Type what should I pay attention to?